Room acoustics

So long story short...I live in a caravan.

It's a caravan from the 80's that we gutted and put up MDF boards with some thin insulation, it feels every bump and is a bit rocky when moving about.

I'm interested in getting a brand new $2,000 amplifier and brand new $2,400 speakers, am I wasting my money?

I'm not planning on living in this caravan forever or even next year for that matter, and plan on holding onto my system for as long as it will last, I like to look after my stuff.

Should I just get high end headphones instead? (I already have a pair of Sennheiser HD650s)

I know how important room acoustics are and am considering my audio choices but am also thinking long term.

Thanks in advance.IMG_20180514_173045.jpg

• Love 1

Please have a look at this.
Unfortunately, Sime is no longer on the forum but hopefully what he did will give you some answers...
Hi Snoopy, thanks for the reply, is there a link I am missing I am unsure about what to look at?
Thanks again.

18 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Click anywhere on the topic! :)

Sorry I was using the app and it didn't display the Link!

I had a good chuckle and was also gobsmacked at Sime's setup!

It makes me feel far more confident that a $4,000 system is reasonable to have in my caravan haha

Thanks again for the Link

1 hour ago, Farpun said:

It makes me feel far more confident that a $4,000 system is reasonable to have in my caravan haha

I thought Sime's journey would resonate with you.  It is a pity that he is no longer on the forum.  Sime is an extreme case of over spending in a caravan. ?  Using him as a benchmark can be dangerous on the wallet!  ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farpun said:

I’ve actually heard this system its pretty damn good the man has done an excellent job in what is not an ideal area if you want to do this it would be an idea to have a chat with Sime however he doesn’t get on here much anymore perhaps he will contact you via PM if he see’s this.

4 minutes ago, BATMAQN said:

I’ve actually heard this system its pretty damn good the man has done an excellent job in what is not an ideal area if you want to do this it would be an idea to have a chat with Sime however he doesn’t get on here much anymore perhaps he will contact you via PM if he see’s this.

Sime is no longer a SNA member :sad:

Just now, Snoopy8 said:

Sime is no longer a SNA member :sad:

I have his details I’ll make contact with him get the old bugger back on here somehow.

• Like 2

That would be great, thanks so much for going out of your way

I have tried several systems including HT, 2 channel, IEM's and headphones  etc. My advice would be to stick with headphones. I have sold a lot of my stuff and I miss my HD800's. For serious listening and not bothering anyone headphones are good.

The problem with speakers is the volume. I have limited listening time as not to bother my wife, children or the neighbours.

If you would like to get speakers, maybe look at active speakers like Audioengine, Genelec,  KEF activ etc. By being active they have their amps built in and saves some space.

On 10 July 2018 at 5:12 PM, BATMAQN said:

I have his details I’ll make contact with him get the old bugger back on here somehow.

That is definitely a good idea. 

cheers Terry

I think your decisions would depend on how you want to listen to your music and how you want to "caravan".  Part of your consideration would be for neighbours in a caravan park, so I would assume high volume reproduction would not be a requirement.  Hence headphones would be good for solitary use.

Given the context, you probably would be best with a system that reproduces well at low to medium volume levels.  Recently I read technical design aspect which are conducive to this on a thread here, but I can't recall exactly where.  If I come across it somewhere I'll post a link.  There is lot's of expertise here who probably know that info (which is beyond my knowledge).  There are some excellent bookshelf speakers which would probably be suitable, again, outside my expertise. 

If you do go for a speaker (rather than headphone) system, you will need to do acoustic treatments to enable the listening environment to produce good sound - otherwise your hardware investment, no matter how good, will be compromised.  MDF walls are not ideal for acoustics, and furniture placement may be asymmetric adding to the problems. 

On 10/07/2018 at 12:45 PM, Farpun said:

... am I wasting my money?...

It depends how important sound reproduction is to you.

----

BTW, it could be good to edit your thread title to include the word "caravan" ?

Edited by audiofeline

I think your decisions would depend on how you want to listen to your music and how you want to "caravan".  Part of your consideration would be for neighbours in a caravan park, so I would assume high volume reproduction would not be a requirement.  Hence headphones would be good for solitary use.

Given the context, you probably would be best with a system that reproduces well at low to medium volume levels.  Recently I read technical design aspect which are conducive to this on a thread here, but I can't recall exactly where.  If I come across it somewhere I'll post a link.  There is lot's of expertise here who probably know that info (which is beyond my knowledge).  There are some excellent bookshelf speakers which would probably be suitable, again, outside my expertise. 

If you do go for a speaker (rather than headphone) system, you will need to do acoustic treatments to enable the listening environment to produce good sound - otherwise your hardware investment, no matter how good, will be compromised.  MDF walls are not ideal for acoustics, and furniture placement may be asymmetric adding to the problems. 
It depends how important sound reproduction is to you.

----

BTW, it could be good to edit your thread title to include the word "caravan" [emoji846]

Thanks for the input I really appreciate your opinion, I'll try editing my thread title, I'm quite new to this.
I don't have the room to even acoustically treat the caravan so it's looking as though a headphone setup is my best option.
Thanks again
  • Like 1

I have tried several systems including HT, 2 channel, IEM's and headphones  etc. My advice would be to stick with headphones. I have sold a lot of my stuff and I miss my HD800's. For serious listening and not bothering anyone headphones are good.
The problem with speakers is the volume. I have limited listening time as not to bother my wife, children or the neighbours.
If you would like to get speakers, maybe look at active speakers like Audioengine, Genelec,  KEF activ etc. By being active they have their amps built in and saves some space.

I enjoy both speakers and headphones and have been liking the idea of Focal Clears, my partner doesn't feel the same way about my music as I do so I think headphones would keep her happy, also I'm sure the neighbours don't want to hear it, the walls are very thin.

I enjoy both speakers and headphones and have been liking the idea of Focal Clears, my partner doesn't feel the same way about my music as I do so I think headphones would keep her happy, also I'm sure the neighbours don't want to hear it, the walls are very thin.
I'll have a look into active speakers, thanks for the suggestion

[mention=162291]Farpun[/mention] I’d go headphones. Maybe an amp for your 650s because they are pretty good already. Sime’s setup is awesome, but would cost a fortune and is a bit ridiculous for your average caravan. 
Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

If you choose headphones you also need to consider your partner. Open back headphones, like the HD650, will still make a noise she will hear and in the close confines of a caravan could be irritating. I presume therefore that close backed ones would be more appropriate. To get the best sound from any headphone you would be best getting a dedicated headphone amp. The only way to find out if these things suit you is to listen. Comfort is something you need to test - can you listen comfortably for an hour or two without ears sweating, head being crushed, or the cable annoying you?

I would wait until you get a property before spending on speakers etc. as the room you want to put them in may decide what speakers you get, which in turn might decide the amp. Sources would be good for both headphones and speakers. Room acoustics, if you go down that root (I recommend you do) will also depend on your speakers.