Is there a top ten must have albums/CD's?

Did a bit of a search but is there a must have thread for music. Like classics that are really essential in your library? A couple I can think of:

Tracy Chapman - self titled

Eagles - Hotel California

Supertramp - Crime of the Century

Sade - Diamond Life

Heaps of others. hat are yours?

• Like 2

In my opinion, no. Nowadays my view is to live and let live and I don't impose any particular canon on anyone. Put another way, my desert island discs are suitable for my desert island and you should feel at liberty to play whatever you like on yours. I think it's a good thing that this can happen in a musical sense. My regret is the general shortage of desert islands - somewhere along the way I appear to have missed out on one.

• Like 4

With a due respect to the OP, this is a thread that could generate such diversity with the responses, that the results might confuse us all.

E.G if you had 10 SNA members whose preferred tastes included;

Thrash Metal

Country & Western

Yodelling,

Opera

Ambient

Progressive Rock

Jazz

Disco

Rock 'n Roll

Shoegaze

then chances are that a list that included 10 songs from each of these genre would probably not sit well with a lot of the participants.

From the titles offered so far, I would suggest these have stood the test of time very well and are often found in MANY collections

P.F.  - D.S.O.T.M

Eagles - H.C

Supertramp - C.O.T.C

If I offered a handful of progressive rock suggestions, they would include:

KIng Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound

Yes - Fragile / Close To The Edge

Jethro Tull - Thick As A brick / Aqualung / Songs From The Wood / Benefit / Stand Up

Gentle Giant - Octopus / Acquiring The Taste

60's / 70's Rock

Traffic - Dear Mr Fantasy

Mountain - Flowers Of Evil

Uriah Heep - Demons & Wizards

Frank Zappa - You Are What You Is

Cream - Disraeli Gears

Singer Songwriter:

Cat Stevens - Teaser & The Firecat / Tea For The Tillerman

Simon & Garfunkel - Take Your Pick

Al Stewart - Year Of The Cat

Jackson Browne - Take Your Pick

Paul Kelly - Take Your Pick

Aussie Bands:

Midnight Oil 10 - 1

INXS - The Swing

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars

Hunters & Collectors - What's A Few Men

The Cruel Sea - The Honeymoon Is Over

New Wave:

XTC - Take Your Pick

Ultravox - Take Your Pick

Simple Minds - New Gold Dream

Big Country - The Crossing

Echo & The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain

If I omitted to include, say, The Who, someone would gripe why didn't I include Jimi Hendrix, Wishbone Ash, Coldplay, Madonna, Dead Can Dance, Loreena McKennit, Ed Sheeran etc.

You can see where this is going!

There are just SO many possible contenders, methinks it might be better to break it down into genres / years / countries or whatever makes the most sense and will generate the most realistic responses.

I don't want to hijack your thread because I normally enjoy threads like this and make suggestions wherever I can (even if some people don't necessarily like or agree with my selections - but, hey, we're all different)

It will be interesting to see what unfolds!!!

Edited by progladyte
  • Like 6

If you go by(buy) pure world wide sales, besides the usual suspects, you would have to include

Whitney Houstons Bodyguard Soundtrack
Bee Gees Saturday Night Fever
Grease Soundtrack
Shania Twain
Celine Dion
Dirty Dancing Soundtrack
Titanic Soundtrack

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums

Go figure

Now I dont own any of these, but plenty have.
As others have mentioned, its what floats your boat, unless you want to ride in someone elses.

8 hours ago, progladyte said:

With a due respect to the OP, this is a thread that could generate such diversity with the responses, that the results might confuse us all.

E.G if you had 10 SNA members whose preferred tastes included;

Thrash Metal

Country & Western

Yodelling,

Opera

Ambient

Progressive Rock

Jazz

Disco

Rock 'n Roll

Shoegaze

then chances are that a list that included 10 songs from each of these genre would probably not sit well with a lot of the participants.

From the titles offered so far, I would suggest these have stood the test of time very well and are often found in MANY collections

P.F.  - D.S.O.T.M

Eagles - H.C

Supertramp - C.O.T.C

If I offered a handful of progressive rock suggestions, they would include:

KIng Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound

Yes - Fragile / Close To The Edge

Jethro Tull - Thick As A brick / Aqualung / Songs From The Wood / Benefit / Stand Up

Gentle Giant - Octopus / Acquiring The Taste

60's / 70's Rock

Traffic - Dear Mr Fantasy

Mountain - Flowers Of Evil

Uriah Heep - Demons & Wizards

Frank Zappa - You Are What You Is

Cream - Disraeli Gears

Singer Songwriter:

Cat Stevens - Teaser & The Firecat / Tea For The Tillerman

Simon & Garfunkel - Take Your Pick

Al Stewart - Year Of The Cat

Jackson Browne - Take Your Pick

Paul Kelly - Take Your Pick

Aussie Bands:

Midnight Oil 10 - 1

INXS - The Swing

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars

Hunters & Collectors - What's A Few Men

The Cruel Sea - The Honeymoon Is Over

New Wave:

XTC - Take Your Pick

Ultravox - Take Your Pick

Simple Minds - New Gold Dream

Big Country - The Crossing

Echo & The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain

If I omitted to include, say, The Who, someone would gripe why didn't I include Jimi Hendrix, Wishbone Ash, Coldplay, Madonna, Dead Can Dance, Loreena McKennit, Ed Sheeran etc.

You can see where this is going!

There are just SO many possible contenders, methinks it might be better to break it down into genres / years / countries or whatever makes the most sense and will generate the most realistic responses.

I don't want to hijack your thread because I normally enjoy threads like this and make suggestions wherever I can (even if some people don't necessarily like or agree with my selections - but, hey, we're all different)

It will be interesting to see what unfolds!!!

Agree with nearly all you said. :thumb:

15 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Did a bit of a search but is there a must have thread for music. Like classics that are really essential in your library? A couple I can think of:

Tracy Chapman - self titled

Eagles - Hotel California

Supertramp - Crime of the Century

Sade - Diamond Life

Heaps of others. hat are yours?

Have a look at Rolling Stones Top 100 list as well.Some interesting choices there.

I guess we could all compile 40 or 50 top-ten lists - fine, if you treat such a list as a sample of great music. Here are two of my lists!

Beatles - Sergeant Pepper's

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

Blind Faith - Blind Faith

Led Zeppelin - II

Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

Curtis Mayfield - Curtis

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of Town

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Supertramp - Breakfast In America

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

Blood Sweat & Tears - Child Is Father To The Man

Neil Young - Harvest

Genesis - Foxtrot

Free - Fire And Water

Dave Mason - Alone Together

Andy Bey - Experience And Judgment

Van Halen - Women And Children First

Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine

St Vincent - St Vincent

Edited by goldiver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wimbo said:

Agree with nearly all you said. :thumb:

That's my point exakkery!

Now I know you really wanted me to include Justine's Beaver in that list of luminaries of the music industry but I just couldn't force myself....... ?

It would be interesting to see on which ones we differ ???

2 hours ago, progladyte said:

That's my point exakkery!

Now I know you really wanted me to include Justine's Beaver in that list of luminaries of the music industry but I just couldn't force myself....... ?

It would be interesting to see on which ones we differ ???

Not a big Zappa fan and never have heard of Gentle Giant.

Too hard. 

I always liked those weird albums you heard once or twice usually eons ago and have never heard since, but they stayed with you although it may only be as a vague memory or impression.  I plan to hunt them down at sometime. 

Gentle Giant would be one of them, I think it might have been the Throbbing Gristle album that Mr. Buzzadstubble mentioned above.

A couple of others would be Magna Carta's Songs from Wasties Orchard, just remember the sound of the acoustic guitars on that album and not much else.

The thrill of the Direct Master of Thelma Houston singing  "I've got the music in me" with the LA Express  (something Cooking...).

The Cowboy double album, "5'll get you 10."

The Davis album Jack Johnston was the first time I ever got Jazz in that weird modal way, kinda made feel grown up. Still don't own it. I am still a little ambivalent towards Miles.

So many.

These days there's not much I don't like, although the lure of Metal has always eluded me, more to do with the presentation I think.

19 minutes ago, allthumbs said:

Too hard. 

I always liked those weird albums you heard once or twice usually eons ago and have never heard since, but they stayed with you although it may only be as a vague memory or impression.  I plan to hunt them down at sometime. 

Gentle Giant would be one of them, I think it might have been the Throbbing Gristle album that Mr. Buzzadstubble mentioned above.

A couple of others would be Magna Carta's Songs from Wasties Orchard, just remember the sound of the acoustic guitars on that album and not much else.

The thrill of the Direct Master of Thelma Houston singing  "I've got the music in me" with the LA Express  (something Cooking...).

The Cowboy double album, "5'll get you 10."

The Davis album Jack Johnston was the first time I ever got Jazz in that weird modal way, kinda made feel grown up. Still don't own it. I am still a little ambivalent towards Miles.

So many.

These days there's not much I don't like, although the lure of Metal has always eluded me, more to do with the presentation I think.

I used to own that Thelma Houston album. A direct to disc recording on the Sheffield Labs label. I also had one by Lincoln Mayorga.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, allthumbs said:

Too hard. 

Great to see someone else has heard of or even wants to track down this incredible band.

Here's a snippet from way, way back.

It's an instrumental track but pretty impressive for its day.

Merlin's Magic Mandolin Mayhem!!!!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

I used to own that Thelma Houston album. A direct to disc recording on the Sheffield Labs label. I also had one by Lincoln Mayorga.

Still got it amongst the Sheffield labs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wimbo said:

Not a big Zappa fan and never have heard of Gentle Giant.

Frank is certainly not for everyone but surprisingly I was late to the Zappa party having by-passed his music for about 15 years or more. In the mid 80's, that all changed and thankfully now, I have just about everything of importance that he has released.

A note of warning, he is pretty irreverent towards women but for its day, it didn't seem to offend. Maybe that might change with different attitudes but hey, each to their own.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, progladyte said:

Great to see someone else has heard of or even wants to track down this incredible band.

Here's a snippet from way, way back.

It's an instrumental track but pretty impressive for its day.

Merlin's Magic Mandolin Mayhem!!!!

My version☺️

Edited by Wimbo

4 minutes ago, progladyte said:

Frank is certainly not for everyone but surprisingly I was late to the Zappa party having by-passed his music for about 15 years or more. In the mid 80's, that all changed and thankfully now, I have just about everything of importance that he has released.

A note of warning, he is pretty irreverent towards women but for its day, it didn't seem to offend. Maybe that might change with different attitudes but hey, each to their own.

Have you got him, Playing a bike?