The Definitive Stylus Cleaner thread.

+1 for Magic Eraser. No residue, works very well and is cheap as chips. I use a tiny gift box as a platform, a match box would also suffice. I inspect the stylus before AND after cleaning and I've never had a problem with stray fibres.

• Like 1
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know this topic has been covered before but I thought it might be good to have an ongoing thread regarding stylus cleaning methods and to showcase any new products/methods that may be released....an

Hi Andy, I got the set-up tip from Fremers Analog planet https://www.analogplanet.com/content/how-use-usb-digital-microscope-set-92-degree-stylus-rake-angle-sra I use a 5mp Digitech QC-3199 camera

I use this -  a magnifying glass with LED lights and can fold itself to a stand, or be hand held.  And it's less than $5! -   https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16x-30mm-LED-Illuminated-Magnifier-M

I have an original Discwasher stylus cleaner, as previously shown.  I've never had problems with the SC-2 cleaning fluid, most gets sucked into the brush fibres so minimal would make contact with the stylus.  Have never seen before+after photos of it's use. 

image9.jpg

Have read that some have used blu-tack as a cheap substitute for the gel cleaners, and have read some reports of the blu-tack removing the stylus from the cantilever - so be careful with this.  The "Sticky Hands" seem a lot safer option, I'll stop by Kmart tonight and spend the mighty $2 to see what they are like.  If it's good they will get a big "hands-up"!

image.png.1695e6dcdb8ee106739cfafa62e15e62.png

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 2
45 minutes ago, Blk plastic said:

+1 for Magic Eraser. No residue, works very well and is cheap as chips. I use a tiny gift box as a platform, a match box would also suffice. I inspect the stylus before AND after cleaning and I've never had a problem with stray fibres.

I find the little plastic boxes that styluses come in work well too and seems kinda appropriate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

or fingers

Fingers and a brush work really well together. Dont give it the Sticky hands, give it the Finger!!

• Like 1

On 24/06/2018 at 7:02 PM, andyr said:

I'm bloody anal about it,

I’m told hemeroids are very painful

Perhaps the magic eraser mght be more gentle and less bloody

• Like 1

The guy (Craig) who serviced my turntable about 6 years ago, gave me a little makeup container of what he called ‘crazy clay’ and I’ve been using it since with no noticable problems. I don’t have a microscope, so I’ve never checked my styli, but Craig claimed that the clay was just as effective and safe as a zerodust, so I took his word for it. I dip the stylus in the clay 3 times every side or 2.

I’ll be giving one of these ‘sticky hands’ a go. Thanks for the tip Steve!

• Like 1
18 hours ago, flanders said:

The guy (Craig) who serviced my turntable about 6 years ago, gave me a little makeup container of what he called ‘crazy clay’ and I’ve been using it since with no noticable problems. I don’t have a microscope, so I’ve never checked my styli, but Craig claimed that the clay was just as effective and safe as a zerodust, so I took his word for it. I dip the stylus in the clay 3 times every side or 2.

I’ll be giving one of these ‘sticky hands’ a go. Thanks for the tip Steve!

Is this the "Crazy Clay"?

image.png.2213d41c5f2e47cd71f5e538e88aa0c2.png     image.png.30b4550054da566de38129a246568fd1.png  

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Is this the "Crazy Clay"?

image.png.2213d41c5f2e47cd71f5e538e88aa0c2.png     image.png.30b4550054da566de38129a246568fd1.png  

Looks like it's only available in South Africa. That's probably too far for me to go.

Did your search find anywhere local?

2 hours ago, a.dent said:

Looks like it's [crazy clay] only available in South Africa. That's probably too far for me to go.

Did your search find anywhere local?

Sorry, I just did an image search.  SthAfrica is a bit far for me too.  The pack did remind me of yesterday's trip to Kmart for sticky hands (more later), I saw this product - "Bouncing Putty".  There was an open one, the putty was quite firm.  $3 if you want to give them a go.  I didn't think they would be good for a styli.

image.png.cab54a8485110bff0ff44595fe6d9d4d.png

As mentioned, I went to Kmart last night to get Sticky Hands.  The website said stock was low.  Went to the toy section, and it was being remodelled.  Couldn't find it, the kid who worked there said they probably let stock run out while they were renovating and would restock in a couple of weeks when the remodelling is over.  I still looked for 30 mins, even checking the price tags on the shelves for the sold-out items.

I got home, checked their website, which indicated that not only were they in stock, they were a "party item".  Went back tonight, spent 30mins looking through the party section, with no luck.  Now I was looking for them in a flat pack with the hands stretched out like in the photo previously posted.  Nothing like that.  Decided to check all the $2 price tags in the area, and eventually found them.  First, they are small.  Secondly, they are in a white plastic mesh bag, the type you might find 20 marbles sold in.  Each hand is scrunched into an individual cellophane bags about 3cm square.  Overall, it looks like a small bag of translucent lollies or flat coloured glass disks.  They are in the small toy section of the party section.  Hope this helps anyone else to find them in the store. 

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 2

Well this stuff I have can’t be ‘crazy clay’ in particular, because it doesn’t air dry, it stays soft. So I’m guessing it’s modelling clay, either polymer based or an oil/wax based plasticine.

Edited by flanders
23 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

Sorry, I just did an image search.  SthAfrica is a bit far for me too.  The pack did remind me of yesterday's trip to Kmart for sticky hands (more later), I saw this product - "Bouncing Putty".  There was an open one, the putty was quite firm.  $3 if you want to give them a go.  I didn't think they would be good for a styli.

image.png.cab54a8485110bff0ff44595fe6d9d4d.png

As mentioned, I went to Kmart last night to get Sticky Hands.  The website said stock was low.  Went to the toy section, and it was being remodelled.  Couldn't find it, the kid who worked there said they probably let stock run out while they were renovating and would restock in a couple of weeks when the remodelling is over.  I still looked for 30 mins, even checking the price tags on the shelves for the sold-out items.

I got home, checked their website, which indicated that not only were they in stock, they were a "party item".  Went back tonight, spent 30mins looking through the party section, with no luck.  Now I was looking for them in a flat pack with the hands stretched out like in the photo previously posted.  Nothing like that.  Decided to check all the $2 price tags in the area, and eventually found them.  First, they are small.  Secondly, they are in a white plastic mesh bag, the type you might find 20 marbles sold in.  Each hand is scrunched into an individual cellophane bags about 3cm square.  Overall, it looks like a small bag of translucent lollies or flat coloured glass disks.  They are in the small toy section of the party section.  Hope this helps anyone else to find them in the store. 

Wow, I had a similar experience today in Kmart trying to find the sticky hands.

I went to the toy section searched high and low, no luck, so I went to the guy at the entrance and asked for assistance, he said I should go back to the toy area and a toy assistant would meet me there, 10 minutes later and still no assistant arrived.

Decided to ask another worker who said they were in the party section, spent another 15 minutes search with no success, perhaps they are smaller than I expected or packaged differently than expected.

Thanks for posting your experperience, I think I’ll go back with my better half so she can have a mummy look and find them.

It was a very frustrating experience today.

thanks @audiofeline I will try again soon

• Like 1

I started using Moongel when it was recommended by Herb Reichert of stereophile:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-8-page-2

(Scroll down page)

I use the clear ones though, $12 for a set of six:

http://www.drumpower.com.au/moongel-drum-dampen-pads-clear.html

I too use a USB microscope, due to vta problems, and my stylus stays pretty clean.

IMG_1885.jpg

• Like 1

And the Moongel   fits perfectly in one of these, an SD card holder.

121394963_SDcardholder.jpg.0dcb0ec4fbb1e778b6b0d1fbfb74530f.jpg

Edited by Citroen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Peter-C said:

I too use a USB microscope, due to vta problems, and my stylus stays pretty clean.

IMG_1885.jpg

Great pic, Peter!  ?  Clean indeed!

Can you tell me:

1. which USB microscope is it?
  2. and how do you hold it still enough - when taking the pic from the side - to get a clear image?
  3. I presume it comes with the s/w that reads 92.355 deg as your VTA?
  4. what magnification is that pic taken at?

Thanks,

Andy

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Great pic, Peter!  ?  Clean indeed!

Can you tell me:

1. which USB microscope is it?
  2. and how do you hold it still enough - when taking the pic from the side - to get a clear image?
  3. I presume it comes with the s/w that reads 92.355 deg as your VTA?
  4. what magnification is that pic taken at?

Thanks,

Andy

ditto!

23 hours ago, awayward said:

@audiofelineWow, I had a similar experience today in Kmart trying to find the sticky hands.... I will try again soon

Perhaps an easy way to find them is to do what I did - look at every $2 price tag and read the description.  When I found the sticky hands price sign I looked into the containing bin and thought there was something else there - all these soft things in white plastic string bags.  But they were the hands. 

51 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

Perhaps an easy way to find them is to do what I did - look at every $2 price tag and read the description.  When I found the sticky hands price sign I looked into the containing bin and thought there was something else there - all these soft things in white plastic string bags.  But they were the hands. 

Mine come individually wrapped in plastic (via ebay). Never seen them in a string bag......sounds like weird packaging. Try ebay @awayward, there's heaps of them!!:)

Edited by stevoz

Hi Andy,

I got the set-up tip from Fremers Analog planet https://www.analogplanet.com/content/how-use-usb-digital-microscope-set-92-degree-stylus-rake-angle-sra

I use a 5mp Digitech QC-3199 camera I bought from Jaycar, thought it would be easier to take back if it didn't suit and plus, I needed one with a stand, as my wife makes jewellery, so it does double duty.

When I bought it, I thought it swiveled sideways, so I used a 19mm irrigation "T"  joiner I had and a piece of 16mm stainless tube from bunnings to make a 90 degree adapter.

You also have to take the clear plastic lens surround off, so you can get the lens close enough to the cart. (as Fremer suggests).

The 92 degree shot magnification is around 180-200x from memory.

The camera comes with Micro Capture Pro software which allows you to select a 3 point angle (among others) to measure points on a photo.

My DV-XX2 mk2  measured just under 88 degrees with the tonearm horizontal [emoji849]. As 1.0 degree = 4mm on a 9" tonearm, I had to jack it up a bit!

Edit: SS Tubing & “T” joiner sizes.

IMG_2085.JPG.e4dfa208dee85f00caef9cf4bcf06e7c.JPG

IMG_1884.JPG.df25516ad16e42eff372a4d85eec13fe.JPG

IMG_1891.JPG.c3df97992831d77db2194039cc74a2c3.JPG

IMG_2084.thumb.jpg.248a04e0d0dacde6b121276afc9245ec.jpg

• Like 5

Thank you for all those pics, Peter, and the product reference.

I will buy one very soon - it's a whole lot better than the one I have at the moment - which is very similar to the one Peter Chan linked to.

The stand which you have is the key!  ?

Andy

• Like 1

Agreed Andy, also getting the stylus as close to the edge of the media you’re resting it on, so they are both in focus.
I used an old Avid mirrored alignment guide to get the right height.

Also appreciate those images Peter. This is clearly improved detail over what I can achieve with my budget 2mp setup. I won't be far behind Andy in the purchase of a QC3199.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

That's the sort that took the images in my opening post in this thread. They're great for the price.....cheap as, easy to set up but I couldn't get the camera function to work so had to take PC screenshots with my phone. They're fun with dead insects too!:P

16 hours ago, Peter-C said:

Hi Andy,

I got the set-up tip from Fremers Analog planet https://www.analogplanet.com/content/how-use-usb-digital-microscope-set-92-degree-stylus-rake-angle-sra

I use a 5mp Digitech QC-3199 camera I bought from Jaycar, thought it would be easier to take back if it didn't suit and plus, I needed one with a stand, as my wife makes jewellery, so it does double duty.

When I bought it, I thought it swiveled sideways, so I used a 12mm irrigation "T"  joiner I had and a piece of 12mm stainless tube from bunnings to make a 90 degree adapter.

You also have to take the clear plastic lens surround off, so you can get the lens close enough to the cart. (as Fremer suggests).

The 92 degree shot magnification is around 180-200x from memory.

The camera comes with Micro Capture Pro software which allows you to select a 3 point angle (among others) to measure points on a photo.

My DV-XX2 mk2  measured just under 88 degrees with the tonearm horizontal ?. As 1.0 degree = 4mm on a 9" tonearm, I had to jack it up a bit!

IMG_2085.JPG

I did the same with my one but as I needed more height I just used a piece of dowel.

I must remove that plastic surround to get closer though!

HvdNUR5.jpg?1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/06/2018 at 1:34 PM, Blk plastic said:

Here's some electron microscope pics I found of a relatively clean stylus 'before and after' cleaning with a Magic Eraser.....

[IMG]

[IMG]

No signs of any ME fibres in that after shot......or is that a tiny fleck on the left side and on the tip?:lol: The poster did say he 'forgot' to use compressed air after using the ME. Those two 'flecks' aren't in the before shot. We are talking in microns here though......great photo's.?

Source: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/stylus-photos-high-magnification.138956/

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, stevoz said:

Here's some electron microscope pics I found of a relatively clean stylus 'before and after' cleaning with a Magic Eraser.....

[IMG]

[IMG]

No signs of any ME fibres in that after shot......or is that a tiny fleck on the left side and on the tip?:lol: The poster did say he 'forgot' to use compressed air after using the ME. Those two 'flecks' aren't in the before shot. We are talking in microns here though......great photo's.?

Source: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/stylus-photos-high-magnification.138956/

Looks good to me. I'm sticking with Magic Eraser.?

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Blk plastic said:

Looks good to me. I'm sticking with Magic Eraser.?

I think I posted before that I had never seen any evidence of fibres left on the stylus in any of the closeups I have taken.  It's just a furphy from some of the real worrywarts.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I think I posted before that I had never seen any evidence of fibres left on the stylus in any of the closeups I have taken.  It's just a furphy from some of the real worrywarts.

I think so......?

Edited by stevoz
Guest Muon N'
On 10/07/2018 at 5:41 PM, stevoz said:

[IMG]

[IMG]

There also appears to be a fiber on the left side of the very tip.

I gave up on ME as it seemed to just push the crap up to the base of the stylus.

If it works for others, more power to them.