Nad T758v3 new MDC module

1 hour ago, Dogbert said:

I was looking at getting one these soon, not sure what to do now...

Well, the distributor was a little less than forth coming about the module update... ?

So, I wrote to NAD support.

They confirmed my T758v3 had the old module (and that a new module existed).

Rang my retailer (Sean@Klapp) who have been really good. They said, right, that wasnt the deal, dont worry. We'll organise a pickup of your unit and get you a new one.

So, that was a great relief.

My family have just had a serious health scare. So, I haven't had much time to try out the T758 but the clarity and sound stage are fantastic.

I'm looking forward to getting the updated module, so that I'm ready to add heights when reno is done.

I dont think anything else can beat it for the price. I was interested in an Anthem MRX, and had a listen to an Arcam too.

My assessment (FWIW) is that the T758 has the best correction, and is a hell of a lot cheaper than the Arcams.

So I think in wins it's class (checkout SNA awards).

One day an emotiva/monoprice should come along and give it some competition for price at least.

The important thing is that it does what you want and your happy. If you can find a retailer that will look after you, then your golden.

Edited by Gridmon
correction
  • Like 2

I guess there is one other more exotic solution worth mentioning...

You could get a miniDSP (eg https://www.minidsp.com/products/ht-series/nanoavr-dl) to process your digital source with direct live, and then feed that into some good amps.

You might be able to pickup some good old amps like Cambridge CRX200, Rotel etc for reasonable money, as others upgrade to newer options to handle the ever changing digital standards.

32 minutes ago, Gridmon said:

PS Probably best that stipulate you want one with the latest AM230 module, as a condition of sale.

I did this.... and received one with the old module anyways  (grrr!)

Told Convoy I had hiss, and the courier arrived the next day to take it away to be resolved.

Edited by davewantsmoore

2 hours ago, Dogbert said:

Hi All, does anyone know where you can these in Perth?  I am keen to get one but would like to check out the menu etc before I commit.

Hi Dogbert,

I dont think anyone stocks them in Perth - hence I went online.

Happy for you to come to my place sometime - I'm in Subi.

Just PM me.

Andy

• 1 month later...

I’m thinking of buying a NAD T758 V3 as a pre into my Elektra Theatre 7.
Also considering Arcam AVR 390 but it’s expensive.
Is it worth the extra $1200?

8 minutes ago, bf77 said:

I’m thinking of buying a NAD T758 V3 as a pre into my Elektra Theatre 7.
Also considering Arcam AVR 390 but it’s expensive.
Is it worth the extra $1200?

The NAD T758V3 has far fewer inputs and outputs but if you don't need them, then go for it.  Suggest you pay the extra USD100 for full Dirac Live (out of the box limited to 500 Hz), a decent USB microphone (I don't like included puck) e.g. niniDSP UMIK-1 and a microphone stand e.g. Swamp Industries stand.  Even with all these extras, it will be cheaper than the Arcam. Also, often on sale in Melbourne stores. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Are the amp channels assignable in the T758v3? I see that I can add 2 height/atmos channel with an additional amp or that I can use pre-outs for any channel to another amp but can I add the additional 2 channels as L+R and use the AVR to power the channels remaining for 5.1.4?

16 minutes ago, givita_burl said:

Are the amp channels assignable in the T758v3? I see that I can add 2 height/atmos channel with an additional amp or that I can use pre-outs for any channel to another amp but can I add the additional 2 channels as L+R and use the AVR to power the channels remaining for 5.1.4?

From the manual:

If the surround back speakers are not used in the main zone, their surround back amplifier channels could be assigned for Back, Height 1, Height 2, Zone 2 and Front (Bi-Amp) use.

The Surround Back amplifier is configurable through the following setting:

Back: Assign as surround back speakers.

Front(Bi-Amp): Provide a bi-amp mode for the Main Front speakers (Left and Right) speakers thus reproducing the Front Left and Front Right amplifier channel outputs.

Zone2: Assign the surround back amplifier channels to supply Zone 2 speaker level outputs from the surround back speaker terminals. Refer also to the item about “ZONE 2 AT AUDIO PRE-OUT SURROUND BACK” in the “ZONE CONTROLS” segment of the “OPERATION - USING THE T 758 - MAIN MENU” section.

Height1/Height 2: Assign as Height 1 or Height 2 speakers.

Looks like it will have the required flexibility - assuming 'height' is equivalent to atmos layer. Other than atmos, I have very simple needs - one. maybe two HDMI inputs, so the more spartan NAD might work well. Other, no doubt very accomplished AVRs/processors, have a plethora of inputs/outputs that I would not use.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, givita_burl said:

Looks like it will have the required flexibility - assuming 'height' is equivalent to atmos layer. Other than atmos, I have very simple needs - one. maybe two HDMI inputs, so the more spartan NAD might work well. Other, no doubt very accomplished AVRs/processors, have a plethora of inputs/outputs that I would not use.

Yes you need a 2nd 2ch power amp for 5.1.4 as Snoopy said but be aware it must drive the ceiling pre outs and not the base L/R ; NAD do things differently to others . If you have a large room you can buy a 5ch power amp and have 7.1.4 . That's the way to get a separate power amp on your main L/R /C..

To paraphrase a review 

I’ve noticed something about home theatre amps and receivers in recent years. If a unit has seven amplifier channels, then it only supports two overhead channels. If it has nine amps, then it’ll usually also decode to four overhead channels. The NAD T 758 v3 differs on that, too. While it only has the seven power amplifiers, if you want to add a pair of amps yourself, you can use the pre-outs to power up four overhead channels. That is, this amp will decode the full 7.1.4 channel Dolby Atmos experience

4 hours ago, cwt said:

Yes you need a 2nd 2ch power amp for 5.1.4 as Snoopy said but be aware it must drive the ceiling pre outs and not the base L/R ; NAD do things differently to others . If you have a large room you can buy a 5ch power amp and have 7.1.4 . That's the way to get a separate power amp on your main L/R /C..

OK, I misread it - I thought it meant I could use pre-out for front L + R, then reassign the surround back to to height 2. But re-reading, and noting your advice, that would only give me 1 height not the 2 required and would leave front L + R in the AVR unused. Oh well.

Two options. One to use a 5ch amp as you suggest, that's doable (LCR + 2nd height). The other was to add a 2ch amp, simpler but won't work on this unit for the way I wanted.

BTW, I don't have the NAD but it is under consideration. I have an Emotiva, which now won't be getting an ATMOS update as promised. I'll have to see what the company proposes for its many customers that were sweating on this upgrade but I'm actually getting close to reconfiguring my room and installing ceiling speakers, so time is against me. Of course, I could do that anyway, have speakers wired and then wait (and maybe wait a while longer). And, without a local distributor, the cost may be too high.

5 hours ago, givita_burl said:

Two options. One to use a 5ch amp as you suggest, that's doable (LCR + 2nd height). The other was to add a 2ch amp, simpler but won't work on this unit for the way I wanted.

BTW, I don't have the NAD but it is under consideration. I have an Emotiva, which now won't be getting an ATMOS update as promised. I'll have to see what the company proposes for its many customers that were sweating on this upgrade but I'm actually getting close to reconfiguring my room and installing ceiling speakers, so time is against me. 

Ah ; Nick has just announced the trade up program which is very generous but time is a consideration .  Maybe get an interim solution [like I did ] until the XMC2 is available ? Fully balanced lcr and sub is unique in this price class ..

https://emotiva.com/blogs/info-hub-1/xmc-1-to-xmc-2-trade-in-and-upgrade-program

25 minutes ago, cwt said:

Ah ; Nick has just announced the trade up program which is very generous but time is a consideration .  Maybe get an interim solution [like I did ] until the XMC2 is available ? Fully balanced lcr and sub is unique in this price class ..

https://emotiva.com/blogs/info-hub-1/xmc-1-to-xmc-2-trade-in-and-upgrade-program

I appreciate that Emotiva is making an effort to support its customers, and (grudgingly) accept the logic that the technical complexity did not warrant proceeding with the original upgrade path. Issues of transport costs and re-import duties, etc need to be considered. I think this will end up as a topic in its own right.

5 hours ago, givita_burl said:

I appreciate that Emotiva is making an effort to support its customers, and (grudgingly) accept the logic that the technical complexity did not warrant proceeding with the original upgrade path. Issues of transport costs and re-import duties, etc need to be considered. I think this will end up as a topic in its own right.

It helps if you have upgrade for life or 40% off :) ; don't know how the free trade agreement helps -if at all B)

9 hours ago, cwt said:

It helps if you have upgrade for life or 40% off :) ; don't know how the free trade agreement helps -if at all B)

Well, yes it would! The FTA should but doesn't help unless the forwarder provides the right declarations. Emotiva may provide the documentation but didn't when I initially purchased from them.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys......any further information  on the  am230 module as i bought the nad 758v3 about a month ago new from KLAPP AV  and it still has the old board as per the picture at the start of this thread ?  i have no noise on atmos channels  when in use on atmos

Edited by jeffpr

Hi Guys......any further information  on the  am230 module as i bought the nad 758v3 about a month ago new from KLAPP AV  and it still has the old board as per the picture at the start of this thread ?  i have no noise on atmos channels  when in use on atmos

that is a pain.  I nearly purchased one off Klapp in the recent sale and asked them to confirm if the 783v3 included the new module.  Klapp said that the units would be shipped directly from NAD and they all had the upgraded board.  Something has gone wrong somewhere!

Edited by Dogbert
typo

• 8 months later...

I have a NAD T777 v3 so not quite the same.  I've had two (the first one went back) and both generate/d a low hum when I connect my Oppo via HDMI AND multi channel analogue.  It's fine with either or but hums when both are connected.  Does anyone else experience this with their v3 player?  Does the new module fix this?

• 1 year later...