I just got a pair of 808’s at auction.  Way to big but oh they sound amazing.  In fact i have never heard better sound.  My wife says too big for the house.  I am falling in love though!  Anyone else heard these?

Guest Sime
9 minutes ago, John Leslie said:

I just got a pair of 808’s at auction.  Way to big but oh they sound amazing.  In fact i have never heard better sound.  My wife says too big for the house.  I am falling in love though!  Anyone else heard these?

Of course they sound amazing, it’s B&W ?

1 minute ago, Wimbo said:

I've heard them. I liked B&W's back in the 80's.

Ditto and ditto. All ( or almost all ) of their made-in-England stuff is great.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, John Leslie said:

They are like double B&W 801s squeezed into one box so obviously awesome sound, twin woofers and mids in a large washing machine size cabinet, 

ported bass reflex design.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John Leslie said:

I got them for about $1000 US 

Cabinets are very nice.  All components work perfect.  Just so big!

20180529_120302.jpg

20180529_120316.jpg

20180529_120326.jpg

Very good deal. I’ve seen them sold in places around the world like Australia for Aust$5000 or more to collectors.

What amps are you using? I heard them years ago on an intergrated Accuphase 303x 130W and the bass was incredible and effortless, among the best bass ever.

Edited by Al.M
7 hours ago, John Leslie said:

I only have my sony amp which puts out 150 RMS per channel.  I can't imagine what they would sound like with a real amp!

That looks like just the room they need. $1000!! Great buy if they are in good nik.

Now you need to put a system together for them. Ask on here whats needed to drive them properly.:thumb:

Why are they to big for the house, the room is huge, maybe a set of Bose Acoustimass hidden behind the curtains might find the WAF.

score!!! i’m sure if the wife decides to put the foot down and makes you get rid of it then you could always sell it here and not make a loss.

Get a powerful amp for it and hook it up to the DVD player & TV play a movie such as ‘the notebook’ watch it with the wife and she’ll appreciate it.

or play her favourite music.

5 hours ago, John Leslie said:

I cannot imagine shipping them!  I think I am stuck with them. Poor me!  So what shall I power them with?  

Something with decent power and current. Those particular speakers would benefit from that. 

A solid state amp like a ME850/150/1400/1500 would do the job. Obviously there are others out there that forum members can recommend. 

Edited by Be Quiet...Listen

13 hours ago, John Leslie said:

I cannot imagine shipping them!  I think I am stuck with them. Poor me!  So what shall I power them with?  

If you need a better amp in your home country on USA eBay and Audiomart you have many used amp options such as matching vintage power amps like Sumo, Krell, Accuphase, Bryston and many others.

Depending on your price you can choose between a powerful intergrated or separate preamp and power units. Something around 100-200W power. I know an Accuphase 303X works well and so may other Accuphase amps. Consider Parasound Halo A23, old Sumo Andromeda power amp with matching Electra preamp, Krell KSA 100 power with a matching tube preamp like a Conrad Johnson PV10 preamp and similar, Adcom amps, Bryston etc.

Edited by Al.M
On 31/05/2018 at 12:28 AM, John Leslie said:

Here I photoshopped the dark pics.  I put some before pics there and as you see the speakers really are overwhelming the room.  But oh the sound!

look in beautiful condition ! and great speakers for the money :)

am sure be something can affordably pick up to power them. though ones below long gone, something like the rotel pre power below would be ideal 

As those above have stated you are very fortunate being in the USA with plenty of powerful amps available at very reasonable prices. A Bryston 4BST or 4BSST should fit the bill nicely. Plentiful second hand ,300 Watts and a twenty year guarantee! Does everything well with no vices. Put a nice Manley , Conrad Johnston or similar tube preamp in front and you should have the power and the glory.

• Like 2

I am really happy with the Sony.  I listen to mostly classical music and my old speakers are the highly rated Kef LS50's but I tell you they don't even compare to these.  So I will sell the Kef speakers probably....  I tell you sound of a pipe organ or Handel's Source of divine light is just out of this world.  I cannot imagine a better sound but if I can get a deal on one of the amps mentioned here like I got on the speakers I will bite....  You guys are so nice to offer all the help.  I look forward to letting you know of my new discoveries.  AIM thank you for all the brands to consider.   I am not sure if I am allowed to post my live webcam or site of my house that I also have on Airbnb so I won't unless someone says I can.  Then you can see the view as I listen to my favorite music!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Joined this site just to encourage you to keep the 808's!!!  Also to comment that you should find a suitable 200+wpc amp to drive them.

Had my 808's about 4yrs now.  Was running a Pioneer 125wpc amp - didn't cut it (they did sound good though).  Wanted to see what these behemoths could do so we hooked them up to a White Oaked Phase Linear 400 (250+wpc)...what a difference (mostly detail).

My wife didn't exactly like the size of the speaks but changed her mind after she heard them.

Congrats and enjoy!  Nice to find another 808 owner.

• Like 2
On 31/05/2018 at 12:28 AM, John Leslie said:

Here I photoshopped the dark pics.  I put some before pics there and as you see the speakers really are overwhelming the room.  But oh the sound!

20180529_120302.jpg

20180529_120316.jpg

20180529_120326.jpg

0e03c606-a201-4697-aa71-3bdfc59b098d - Copy.jpg

11bab276-5975-4ee2-a00b-ef0de4403687.jpg

Some years ago a really cheap pair of Duntechs appeared on eBay with a buy it now price. I have a pretty free run with Hifi in the house but thought these may be just too big. After someone bought them I showed the Mrs and she said they be a statement piece being so large and she didn’t mind them. Missed out big time there!

• 1 month later...

What's your budget for amp? They must be choking on that Sony 

See if you can find a Proton power amp, massive reserves of power to wake those babies up :)

@John Leslie  I have a pair of 808s. The 808 was the big control monitor Abbey Road and other studios wanted B&W to make, so they did. They're good fun in big rooms like yours. As the others say the 808s are hungry and deserve a better amp, a big, stable, high current amp. Luckily you live in the land of them. Not only will they sound better but it's safer for the speakers. Although they do have some protection circuitry, be gentle with them. They're impossible to find spares for. If you did blow a driver you'd have to have a very skilled speaker tech rebuild it. Enjoy em.

• 1 year later...