Marantz AV8805. Worth waiting for?

5 minutes ago, Sime said:

Yup, I’ll be getting one to replace my 8801. 

Will you be adding extra channels?  Which extra feeatures make it worthwhile as an upgrade?   Are you switching 4K? Or ?

I would get the 8802A on run out

the 8805 only adds middle height to enable 6 heights, which unless have very large room with height speakers front of room and back and needing heights in middle, then will be bit much. Also all the studios according to filmmixer an insider on avs actually only use 4 heights to mix.

the 8805 can also not be used with the audyssey pro calibrated mic which i see as backward step from 8802

price I’ve read also is wait for this $7500 !!

only other thing 8805 adds is heos which could always add afterwards

there is a hdmi 2.1 update coming but then I can’t think of anything now or future I need that for. Certainly have no source or displays to support

8802a on run out should be markedly cheaper and it gets an update to bring things like Dolby vision and hlg etc the 8805 has

so in other words if need middle heights, heos or 2.1 down track buy 8805 otherwise don’t wait save bucks and get 8802a now :)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Steam said:

Will you be adding extra channels?  Which extra feeatures make it worthwhile as an upgrade?   Are you switching 4K? Or ?

Truth be told, apart from the convenience of it being 4k, I’ve been waiting for this particular model to replace mine simply because it’s up to date and further more, my current one has has A LOT of use and it’s a machine that gets rather warm, so starting from scratch to last me another 3 years is worth the cost. And I’m not overly concerned with the price of the 8805. 

15 minutes ago, Sime said:

Not that there’s anything wrong with that either ;)

I pre ordered my 8802 and there are usually some good pre order deals about. So worth seeking out if planning to buy on release

@:) al it’ll have to be later in the year, getting the new Chord Qutest if first cab off the rank. 

Plus with my shoulder issue, I’ll have to see where that leads me before I fully commit to the 8805, but it’s hopefully going to happen at some point this year. 

12 hours ago, :) al said:

I would get the 8802A on run out

the 8805 only adds middle height to enable 6 heights, which unless have very large room with height speakers front of room and back and needing heights in middle, then will be bit much. Also all the studios according to filmmixer an insider on avs actually only use 4 heights to mix.

the 8805 can also not be used with the audyssey pro calibrated mic which i see as backward step from 8802

price I’ve read also is wait for this $7500 !!

only other thing 8805 adds is heos which could always add afterwards

there is a hdmi 2.1 update coming but then I can’t think of anything now or future I need that for. Certainly have no source or displays to support

8802a on run out should be markedly cheaper and it gets an update to bring things like Dolby vision and hlg etc the 8805 has

so in other words if need middle heights, heos or 2.1 down track buy 8805 otherwise don’t wait save bucks and get 8802a now :)

Thanks Al

thats kind of what I was thinking.  The 8802a in runout would be a good buy.  

• Like 2

But the question will always remain with me, that is between the 8801-8802 and 8805, is their a noticeable difference between the 3 in regards to their analog audio. I’ve never had a confidant confirmed opinion between the 01-02, so I’ll guess I won’t find out till I upgrade. 

1 hour ago, Sime said:

But the question will always remain with me, that is between the 8801-8802 and 8805, is their a noticeable difference between the 3 in regards to their analog audio. I’ve never had a confidant confirmed opinion between the 01-02, so I’ll guess I won’t find out till I upgrade. 

Sime there were claims from marantz re analog audio I saw 8801 to 8802 with slide power point pres etc however have not seen anything in regards analog difference from marantz 8802 to 8805 if see anything I’ll post. All difference have seen been with regards extra height. Future 2.1 , heos and audyssey app. The rest the 8802 gets updated to in May ? I think it is. But I understand still getting latest. In anycase if leaving buying to later chances are all 8802 be cleared by then in a case making decision easier for you :)

Well firstly I’ll investigate what the fazing out prices for the 8802 will be, I got my 8801 for $3300 before the new 8802 was announced. 

8 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Really?  My 8801 stays cool...I wouldn't have thought they'd warm up that much unless you're stacking your amp/s.

Stacked yes 

caravan bathroom only 2x2 meters, yes ;)

2 hours ago, Sime said:

Well firstly I’ll investigate what the fazing out prices for the 8802 will be, I got my 8801 for $3300 before the new 8802 was announced. 

Yes this has me interested too.

As I don't have to have the latest , just needs to do everything I need.

i have been looking at a Yam 3083 at a good price but could be swayed by one of these on runout. 

2 hours ago, Sime said:

Most anecdotal reading says the 8802a is better Sime ; Kal Rubinson lists the improvements :)

https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-75#v5SZ2bTXv3z9msZm.97

Ok, my arm is officially twisted, but one more question. 

Now with the 8801, If i watch an Atmos movie, of course it’s gets played at the highest standard the 8801 can do, but considering I only have a 5.1 system, if I play an Atmos movie on a 5.1 setup, will the Atmos capable 8802 be better in 5.1 than the 8801?

1 hour ago, Sime said:

Ok, my arm is officially twisted, but one more question. 

Now with the 8801, If i watch an Atmos movie, of course it’s gets played at the highest standard the 8801 can do, but considering I only have a 5.1 system, if I play an Atmos movie on a 5.1 setup, will the Atmos capable 8802 be better in 5.1 than the 8801?

Huh??

@joz If you are wanting a pre, the marantz is miles ahead of the yamaha avr range. I know having made the switch. The yamaha preouts have a ridiculously high impedance combined with a terribly low voltage - and sounds horrible.

• Like 1

@AudioGeek ok. You have Atmos, and standard pre-Atmos or, 8802 to 8801. 

If you have an atmos soundtrack playing on both systems, but both are playing 5.1, would the atmos 5.1 be better than the standard hd audio varient 5.1

Is atmos a better decoder or is it simply adding channels, so once the atmos soundtrack on the atmos processor has been down converted to 5.1, is it better or worse than the HD audio that’s on the 8801.  

@AudioGeek ok. You have Atmos, and standard pre-Atmos or, 8802 to 8801. 

If you have an atmos soundtrack playing on both systems, but both are playing 5.1, would the atmos 5.1 be better than the standard hd audio varient 5.1

Is atmos a better decoder or is it simply adding channels, so once the atmos soundtrack on the atmos processor has been down converted to 5.1, is it better or worse than the HD audio that’s on the 8801.  

Just the the same as Dolby digital is compared DTS master soundtracks. 

Ah, ok get it now. Dont know the answer though.

For what you want to do I still think an 8801 to 8802 upgrade is questionable.

I wonder if you add a high quality pre with HT bypass for 2 channel music, wether you would get a more noticeable benefit.

• Like 1