Amateur OB speaker builder and his ARC based digital system

9 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Hardware: Celestron Deluxe CPC 1100 Edge HD, Optolong UV/IR block, ZWO EFW, Siebert Barlow, ZWO ADC, ZWO ASI 462MC.

Software: Firecapture, WinJupos, Autostakkert, Astraimage, The Gimp

beautiful scope with excellent optics, that scope screams for better cam, cooled ASI 294 or ASI 2600 😉 , and of course high-end USB cable, preferably in $10k range 😜😂

Edited by kukynas
Question mark not valid

Just now, kukynas said:

beautiful scope with excellent optics, CGEM mount? that scope screams for better cam, cooled ASI 294 or ASI 2600 😉 , and of course high-end USB cable, preferably in $10k range 😜😂

You sound vaguely familiar with the equipment, but still off the mark when talking planetary imaging. The mount is in the model listed above (CPC) the cam is the best planetary camera you can get, cooled cameras offer no advantage for high frame rate imaging, but that high end USB cable would be a definite improvement.

Just now, kukynas said:

Yeah I somehow overlooked that CPC part, corrected it afterwards, I think it still does matter in readout noise but if you are happy with this setup 👍

No it does not help in readout noise. Cooling only helps with long exposures. I have 4 cameras, two of them cooled. The 462MC is the ideal planetary camera.

Maybe missunderstanding, I’m not trying to argue that high resolution cooled cam is better for high fps planetary imaging, just that cooled cam has lower read out noise then not cooled, didn’t know you have more cams 😉

Just now, kukynas said:

Maybe missunderstanding, I’m not trying to argue that high resolution cooled cam is better for high fps planetary imaging, just that cooled cam has lower read out noise then not cooled, didn’t know you have more cams 😉

There is no lower readout noise at high frame rates. It's only in long exposures that there's readout noise. Not even up to the slowest frame rates when doing UV or methane imagine of only 4fps will it even matter. DSO and planetary are completely different disciplines and the hardware requirements are completely different as a result.

Just now, kukynas said:

this was my last attempt of the moon 8 years ago before I gave up on astro photo

Nice one! I use a different camera for the moon, and I like doing mineral exposures like this to give it more character. I wonder if the admins will get angry if we go too far offtopic.

2021-08-26-1514_9-CK-L-Moon_P10gag-SAIgb8.thumb.jpg.4a9e79cf24b6e02e8330b236a600ab84.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

beautifull 👍 , I had pretty bad seeing in that shot (like in majority cases here in CZ) , it's your thread so I would assume it's fine?

when I was looking for HD925EDGE with decent mount and cam at that time I just couldn't justify its cost, went with TS optics Germany carbon 250/1000 tube as more versatile and of course cheaper solution

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Nice one! I use a different camera for the moon, and I like doing mineral exposures like this to give it more character. I wonder if the admins will get angry if we go too far offtopic.

2021-08-26-1514_9-CK-L-Moon_P10gag-SAIgb8.thumb.jpg.4a9e79cf24b6e02e8330b236a600ab84.jpg

"...too far off topic" - which is Amatuer OB builder and his ARC based digital system? No, surely not??!!

Nice photos of the moon 👍👍

😃

• Like 1

Just now, tripitaka said:

"...too far off topic" - which is Amatuer OB builder and his ARC based digital system? No, surely not??!!

Nice photos of the moon 👍👍

😃

I guess the thread title is mostly about me, not my system so I can blog anything... Then again there are plenty of offtopic subsections as well so I don't think it needs to strictly be hifi. I tried to make it hifi related in my first post by saying I should put an outdoor system up on the roof deck :P

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Back to Hifi, yet more delays on my new electronics. Not till the end of September at worst. Harumph. How am I supposed to cope with waiting for the second month of our week long lockdown without it?

5 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Back to Hifi, yet more delays on my new electronics. Not till the end of September at worst. Harumph. How am I supposed to cope with waiting for the second month of our week long lockdown without it?

Your audience has been very patient😃, hows about a clue then?

1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

Take heart… some of us shipped off our only hi-end source to NZ for an upgrade just before they too went into lockdown.  Bluetooth streaming from an iPad is the only option 😑

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Play music.  I am having themed nights.  In fact, last 3 nights have been Elvis.  Yeah I know, but it's actually been fun.  Didn't know I had amassed so many cheap RCA albums of his :)  

13 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Play music.  I am having themed nights.  In fact, last 3 nights have been Elvis.  Yeah I know, but it's actually been fun.  Didn't know I had amassed so many cheap RCA albums of his :)  

Fortunately I was joking, my home conditions are very enjoyable but I miss seeing people in person the most.

25 minutes ago, tripitaka said:

Your audience has been very patient😃, hows about a clue then?

Replacing something...

Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 1

For those who've been patiently waiting to see what direction my new "electronics" were going to take, here it is. Anyone who read my earlier reviews would know the reservations I had about the Ref 6 compared to the Supratek were a certain veiling compared to it, but otherwise it had significant other improvements, but the veil was a showstopper. Well, the 6SE fixes that, and more...

PXL_20210902_051909122.thumb.jpg.23fbd0e1bbb8ee2bb8f4fa2cbd4ad953.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 1

I could go on about the virtues of the preamp and how it's so much better, but in a bizarre and most welcome twist, the bass is back for my main speakers thanks to the preamp! All I can assume is that it is much flatter in that part of the frequency response as my DSP measurements confirm a substantial change before correction.  I need nowhere near as much DSP correction, the subwoofers are crossed over once again at 30Hz, and I can use the full volume range to painfully loud without unnecessary excursion of my main woofers as well (which is the weirdest part of all.) Looks like my speakers have a new lease on life and there is no rush to go out and buy the Aidas just yet. One thing I can say about the Supratek was it really does have exceptional midrange as it's very close to that of the Ref6SE. Looks like I have plenty to re-experience during the remainder of this lockdown before auditioning new speakers. Now to prep the Supratek for sale as well...

Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

I could go on about the virtues of the preamp and how it's so much better, but in a bizarre and most welcome twist, the bass is back for my main speakers thanks to the preamp! All I can assume is that it is much flatter in that part of the frequency response as my DSP measurements confirm a substantial change before correction.  I need nowhere near as much DSP correction, the subwoofers are crossed over once again at 30Hz, and I can use the full volume range to painfully loud without unnecessary excursion of my main woofers as well (which is the weirdest part of all.) Looks like my speakers have a new lease on life and there is no rush to go out and buy the Aidas just yet. One thing I can say about the Supratek was it really does have exceptional midrange as it's very close to that of the Ref6SE. Looks like I have plenty to re-experience during the remainder of this lockdown before auditioning new speakers. Now to prep the Supratek for sale as well...

How very interesting, Con.  :thumb:

What's the:

• value of the input coupling cap on the new AR pre
  • and its Zin

... vs. the Supratek?

Andy

Just now, andyr said:

How very interesting, Con.  :thumb:

What's the:

• value of the input coupling cap on the new AR pre
  • and its Zin

... vs. the Supratek?

No idea about the coupling caps, but the power amps have 200k input impedance so it really shouldn't be anything to do with impedance matching as that should be enough for just about anything. The Supratek output impedance is almost 2k whilst the 6SE is 600 ohms. That shouldn't be enough to account for the difference.

7 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

No idea about the coupling caps, but the power amps have 200k input impedance so it really shouldn't be anything to do with impedance matching as that should be enough for just about anything. The Supratek output impedance is almost 2k whilst the 6SE is 600 ohms. That shouldn't be enough to account for the difference.

Sure, but if Supratek skimped on the input coupling cap - and used, say, 1uF with a low Zin, compared to 2.2uF with a high Zin for the AR pre ... then that would make a higher (input) roll-off for the Supratek.

Andy

Just now, andyr said:

Sure, but if Supratek skimped on the input coupling cap - and used, say, 1uF with a low Zin, compared to 2.2uF with a high Zin for the AR pre ... then that would make a higher (input) roll-off for the Supratek.

Maybe, but that side of electronics is not my strong point so I don't really understand the nuances there. I'll have to open it up soon to rewire it back to its original state so I could check it out. I can't imaging "skimping" would be the reason for anything per se...