Garrott Brothers Cartridges

•  

"G'day    Gentleman "

Back in The US , I herd some amazing stories about Garrott Brothers.

Can you please shed some history on who they were and why their MM could sound as good as some exotic MC's?

Can anyone tell me which cartridge model  that stands out as the best  value/performance?  

Are there any setup advice, VTA , capacitance, phono stage gain, and tonearms  that optimizes these cartridges?

Do you know if someone has one or a reliable shop that sales them?

Garrott.jpg

I have a K2 as a spare/back up cart which j love. Others in here have higher models, so im sure they’ll chip in.

I bought mine from Tivoli hifi in melbourne.

not sure what online sites sell them.

they used to fix carts/do retips back in the day but had an unfortunate end. Well worth a google search for the full storey.

the K2 likes to have the back up when setting VTA

i think you will get some good advice on here regarding the best current model

edit: i love the packaging they supply!

Edited by Andrews_melb

I’ve got the Optim FGS, also from Tivoli and I too believe this prefers its back up with VTA - we’ll, looking at the arm when playing after having it set up the arm does slope from rear to front. I recall in the conversation with Tivoli that this cartridge prefers some rake.

I am still at burn in stage but am happy with it thus far. 

Mine sits on on a project carbon arm on a music Hall mid 9.1

ive got it hooked via a Graham Slee Reflex but this is a loaner unit

i also enquired to convoy whom distribute this TT and asked their suggestion on cartridge that would suit and they pointed me toward the optim FGS and or 2m black. I was looking at MM or MI...

i did plenty of googling prior to buying and it was hard to find a bad comment but it was also a challenge to find much info.

cant comment on capitance etc but the guys at Tivoli are right on top of these carts and I’m sure will point you in the right direction

I've had a cartridge that was retipped by the original garrott brothers, however since then they have both died and the company is now owned by somebody else. I can't comment on the new owners work, or their own branded cartridge, but the original guys work was brilliant.

• Like 1

@Gremrock is correct about the brothers work. They were brilliant, receiving MC and Decca London rebuild orders from around the world! From what I have heard, the guys (or 'guy', Phillippe Luder) at Garrott's now do a fine job also. I have a P66 cartridge, it sounds nice but as I bought it second hand, I think the stylus is a bit worn. I believe the brothers models were the K1, K2, K3, P66 and P77 cart's. I believe any other Garrott models including Garrott's MC's and the Optim range are newer models started by the new owners, Audio Dynamics P/L, not by the brothers. Don't quote me on that but I think that is the case.

Here is some links to info on the brothers Garrott (there is not a lot and it's really quite sad):

http://www.whetstoneaudio.com/the-strange-and-tragic-story-of-the-garrott-brothers/

https://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=290040365&threadid=76521

........and here's an article by Ken Kessler, written in 1983, before the brothers demise, about the legendary Garrott Decca:

http://www.kenkessler.com/hi-fi/garrott-decca-cartridge/

As for which is the best Garrott to buy, I don't know but the P77i is a go to MM cart for a lot of people. The original P77 was a bit of a legend in MM's.

Edited by stevoz

Decibelhifi have a number of current Garrot cartridges listed here.

If I wanted a sample of their work from the current line-up, I think I would be looking at the P77i with Microscanner II stylus at the very end of Brians listings.

Edited by ophool

I am considering a P77i in the not too distant future. I remember their sound from back in the day when the brothers were still around and making awesome carts. If it sounds as good now as it did then, I will be a happy camper. As for availability they can also be ordered direct from the website.

http://garrottbrothers.com/

• Like 1

Have Optim FGS Dynamic Coil. Superb cart. for the $$$. Really does sound like a cross between a good coil & magnet, without the potential hassles of a coil. Had many carts, re-tipped, cantilivered by the Garrott's & the newer Garrott's (Williams). Been satisfied overall.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2018 at 9:20 PM, Gremrock said:

I've had a cartridge that was retipped by the original garrott brothers, however since then they have both died and the company is now owned by somebody else. I can't comment on the new owners work, or their own branded cartridge, but the original guys work was brilliant.

I recently had a Clearaudio Virtuoso re-tipped by Garrott's (well, by Phillipe Luder), and I continue to be  very impressed with results.   

I can't comment on their new cartridges, but if the re-tip is anything to go by, I would be taking the punt when the current one wears out  

I have a P77 and it has gone straight to the top of the list for cartridges MM or MC. It does everything well and, most importantly, sounds natural. Detail and dynamic are very natural and full and you don't need an exotic phono stage to reap its benefits. 

• Like 2

I have a Grace 707 arm fitted with an original F8 L10 which needed a new cantilever. I rang Garro Brothers in Melbourne and they quoted me $320 for a new aluminum .3 x .7 elliptical diamond. I'm a member on AK and this gentleman sent me a message about he can repair it for me for $100USD including returned shipping to Australia. So I shipped it to him in NY which cost me $32 insured. He repairs it under a week with a new aluminum cantilever, same size as the old one with a bonded .3 x .7 elliptical diamond. Total cost $160.00AUD returned in under 3 weeks. Sound fantastic. Shoot him an email if you like.

His name is Joseph;

cartridge_retipping@outlook.com

741f60317e6f5456127f8dea9909507e.jpga4df73fe49f9e43abe93bfef60bd7c31.jpg

12 minutes ago, Sansui77 said:

I have a Grace 707 arm fitted with an original F8 L10 which needed a new cantilever. I rang Garro Brothers in Melbourne and they quoted me $320 for a new aluminum .3 x .7 elliptical diamond. I'm a member on AK and this gentleman sent me a message about he can repair it for me for $100USD including returned shipping to Australia. So I shipped it to him in NY which cost me $32 insured. He repairs it under a week with a new aluminum cantilever, same size as the old one with a bonded .3 x .7 elliptical diamond. Total cost $160.00AUD returned in under 3 weeks. Sound fantastic. Shoot him an email if you like.

His name is Joseph;

cartridge_retipping@outlook.com

741f60317e6f5456127f8dea9909507e.jpga4df73fe49f9e43abe93bfef60bd7c31.jpg

Is that Needlestein off Audiokarma?

• Like 1

I spoke with Joseph (needlestein) recently about retipping my Grace F9. He will do a line contact w/aluminium cantilever for $230 delivered and a elliptical w/aluminium cantilever for, yes, $US100 delivered. Very good price. I'm taking the needlestein option over Garrotts, elliptical first then a line contact when I can afford it. From all accounts, he does good work.:thumb:

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2

Hi

I recently bought myself a Dual 505 and it had a K1 on it which was a bonus!. I have been comparing the K1 with an AT95E that i already have and its definitely got a better sound IMO. I would love to hear what the other models are like. I would definitely recommend the K1 based on my limited experience and the level i'm at (beginner entry level).

Cheers

Stew

• Like 1