Perreaux Owners & Discussion Thread

34 minutes ago, :) al said:

wow that is one tasty looking thing. great to see soemthgin of this sort of quality from across the ditch :) 

It's an update of their éloquence 250i integrated that was released in 2015 :)

http://www.perreaux.com/products/eloquence/eloquence-250i-stereo-integrated-amplifier

250i-Low-Right.jpg

Edited by aasza
  • Like 1

Interesting the distributor BMCW are saying the 255i is only available the dad already fitted and only the phono stage is optional and the price is $9995. 

Which goes against what what was written up on AV-hub? 

• 1 year later...

Hi!

This one is proving hard to find - have asked Perreaux with no response yet....

Does anyone have a copy of the PMF 2150 service manual they can email me or link me to please? 

I'm particularly interested in the biasing procedure....

CHEERS!

Edited by knight2001dts

This is all I have, those same vintage models (1150,2150,3150,5150) are pretty much the same save for more output devices and higher rails on the on the bigger models.

Cheers George

Perr_1_1.jpg

Perr_2_1.jpg

Perr_3_1.jpg

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, knight2001dts said:

Hi George!

Thanks for the schematic - any chance you have it in a higher res?

It's possible it has some of the biasing info I was looking for but very hard to read...

CHEERS!

Nah that's it I'm afraid, download Irfanview (free) it has a sharpener and higher pixel converter in it.

https://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm  32bit

https://www.irfanview.com/64bit.htm

Cheers George

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

• 9 months later...

Hi guys, 

I've inherited a Perreaux 6000B and SM2 preamp in good condition. Given the age of these items I would really like to get them rebuilt with quality parts to last another 30+ years, by someone who knows what they're doing, is thorough and does a high quality job (including soldering and wiring cleanly). 

I am located in Brisbane and would prefer to have someone local to perform the work. 

If anyone has recommendations for someone to perform this work that would be very much appreciated. I've done an Internet search however haven't really come up with much. 

• 1 year later...

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/09/2021 at 8:33 PM, I_Quadius said:

Does anyone know or have any input/experience regarding the difference (sonically & value), between the SM2/3 and the SA2/3.....I am leaning toward the SM2?

You are going right back into archives there, early 1980s(?) for what is a pretty boutique brand to start with, I wish you well!

I have an SM6 MK2 but don't know anything about the earlier versions, sorry🙏

There was a SM2 in the classified not long ago.  They were built to last,  components precision laid out on the pcb,  probably the 1st I’ve seen in the 80s utilising Wima MKP capacitors in the signal path and possibly the 1st ever utilising MKPs in the 80s….  also the 1st to utilise ALPs pots…. And pure class A.

I heard the SM2 and the 5150 Perreaux at The Sound Craftsmen,  sonically it’s not for everyone.   I had the 5150 on loan to drive a pair of LInn Kans….  Boy did it make it sing!  
of course there are better stuff now that will sonically and measure better than any of the the stuff from the 80s.  Mosfets that I loved at the time are not bettered by current BJT transistors that craps over any Current MOSFET amps, which is the reason why boutique designers like Dan D’Agostino will only use BJT and nothing else.   The Alps pots from the dinosaur age are replaced by a range of attenuators that dont wear out  and the amp will performed like day one till the end of life.   Mechanical pots are so 19th century.

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Like 1

I have an SM3 and love it. There are some very favourable reviews   here is one

I have never compared it to a an SM2 or SA2 so can't help with that angle.

I like the fact that it is "old school" discrete components (no e-proms or obscure op-amps etc.). i.e. it can be repaired reasonably easily and economically.

Some docs attached. Enjoy.

Perreaux SA3.pdf Perreaux SM2.pdf Perreaux SM3.pdf

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve owned a SM2 for a few years. If your into turntables and special cartridges then the 2 is ideal as you can change the loading yourself. 
You do the maths and select the appropriate resistor then on the external rca connectors you fit a rca male plug with resistor soldered between centre active and outer earth/return. 

The SM3 is the start of the CD era. 

Therefore the SM2 in my opinion is not best suited to CD. 

My favourite of the era was the Perreaux SA35 preamp as it tone controls as CD players back then needed some tone. 

• Like 2