Amazon Echo, Dot, Tap - Privacy Discussion

Is there still a difference between corporate spying and government spying? The former I’m not a huge fan of, I don’t use Facebook, google or any product of theirs whatsoever, but know Microsoft probably aren’t much better. But at least you can opt out, don’t use all that crap and pay cash or whatever, it’s still a choice. Government spying, however, you can’t escape that. There’s a reason Assange is a dead man walking.

Edited by deviltoob

25 minutes ago, deviltoob said:

Is there still a difference between corporate spying and government spying? The former I’m not a huge fan of, I don’t use Facebook, google or any product of theirs whatsoever, but know Microsoft probably aren’t much better. But at least you can opt out, don’t use all that crap and pay cash or whatever, it’s still a choice. Government spying, however, you can’t escape that. There’s a reason Assange is a dead man walking.

The biggest irony is they dragged Zuckerberg in front of congress to explain data privacy issues when it's known from Edward Snowden that the NSA records everything.

• Like 1

Amazon is briefing US police officers on how to obtain footage from Ring security cameras that householders have installed, without serving warrants on householders.

By asking the householders, or by asking Amazon directly because they have the footage anyway through the Internet of Things functionality.

• 1 year later...
  • Volunteer

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/jun/01/amazon-us-customers-given-one-week-to-opt-out-of-mass-wireless-sharing

“In addition to capturing everyone’s shopping habits (from amazon.com) and their internet activity (as AWS is one of the most dominant web hosting services) … now they are also effectively becoming a global ISP with a flick of a switch, all without even having to lay a single foot of fiber