Samsung 2011 3d Tv's. Whats Your Best Price?

Cool man, that's a good price! Can you post a receipt up?

Just wondering if anyone with the new Samsungs have noticed the ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter)? And is it a big an issue as the yanks make it out to be? Seems like this is the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on a new Sammy!

Not that much of an issue and it's on all of the top end plasmas, including the Panasonics. It's the ABL function which reduces energy usage. On the Smasung you can switch it off (on 1080/24p content) by using Cinema Smooth. Most noticeable on the black bars on letter box content.

Andys.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that much of an issue and it's on all of the top end plasmas, including the Panasonics. It's the ABL function which reduces energy usage. On the Smasung you can switch it off (on 1080/24p content) by using Cinema Smooth. Most noticeable on the black bars on letter box content.

Andys.

You can switch it off? I read on the AVS forums that you can't.. but there was implications that a future Firmware update would give us the settings to turn it off...

You can switch it off? I read on the AVS forums that you can't.. but there was implications that a future Firmware update would give us the settings to turn it off...

According to one of our forum members, Cinema Smooth switches it off. I haven't really noticed the ABL on anything I've viewed instore to date, so I haven't tested the theory.

Tiles might want to chime in on this one, as he has the D8000.

Andys.

Every Plasma made to date has automatic brightness limiting, its seems to be a limitation of Plasma technology.

White level on a full white screen will be about half as bright as white level in a predominantly dark scenes, its form dynamic compression that all Plasma have. The higher the contrast setting the more noticeable this will be.

Panasonic recently introduced a form of dynamic gamma on some models. I hope Samsung dont go the same way because that's not a good thing at all.

Varying picture levels to save power is a new "feature", so much for progress.

All the higher model LCD's both LED and CCFL use dynamic lighting and in some cases dynamic gamma as well, white, black and average levels vary all over the bloody place, yuck.

Edited by Owen

Cool man, that's a good price! Can you post a receipt up?

just pm me with your email and I'll email you a copy to print out if u need it

I have just been through the process of having my UA55D8000 repaired based on some early quality issues I was having.

I had terrible backlight banding which manifested as a noticably sharp transition from a bright top third of the screen to a dark middle section and a slightly but less noticable jump in brightness towards the bottom. It was visible on a grey test screen or on any normal image that took the form of a reasonably solid colour of low overall light level such as a cloudy sky or fog. It was SUPER visible in animation and in 3d CGI films too. Add to this, a day before the tech came to check it out, a pixel near the centre of the screen blew on me.

The tech came out today and did an on-site panel replacement (the panel being the whole front including bezel). Why they didn't just replace the TV is beyond me. Process took 30 minutes or so and was reasonably painless.

New panel is improved but not perfect. Very slight vertical banding which is not upsetting, and some lightish lines at the bottom of the screen. The transisitons from light to dark are also nowhere near as sharp as they were before, so I think this one is a keeper.

I have just been through the process of having my UA55D8000 repaired based on some early quality issues I was having.

I had terrible backlight banding which manifested as a noticably sharp transition from a bright top third of the screen to a dark middle section and a slightly but less noticable jump in brightness towards the bottom. It was visible on a grey test screen or on any normal image that took the form of a reasonably solid colour of low overall light level such as a cloudy sky or fog. It was SUPER visible in animation and in 3d CGI films too. Add to this, a day before the tech came to check it out, a pixel near the centre of the screen blew on me.

The tech came out today and did an on-site panel replacement (the panel being the whole front including bezel). Why they didn't just replace the TV is beyond me. Process took 30 minutes or so and was reasonably painless.

New panel is improved but not perfect. Very slight vertical banding which is not upsetting, and some lightish lines at the bottom of the screen. The transisitons from light to dark are also nowhere near as sharp as they were before, so I think this one is a keeper.

That sounds extreme. Good at least that Samsung had somebody come direct to you, instead of you somehow having to ship it back.

I've got the same model as you, and haven't noticed any banding at all, but am noticing significant 'clouding', mainly in the corners of the screen on dark images, particularly screens that are all black. I've managed a workaround by reducing the backlight to about 3 or 4, but I'm not sure I should have to do that to fix it. Moreover, on certain menus / interfaces that have uncustomisable picture settings (eg the 'smart hub', or the interface for any media server), the clouding is very obvious.

Has anybody else noticed this on the UA55D8000? I'm considering asking Samsung to come investigate as well, especially now that I know that they'll come direct to me.

Cheers.

See below prices for a range of plasmas from Goodguys today. I just saw an ad saying they have 20% off floor-wide tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see if even better deals are available, or if I just got lucky with my timings and got the same prices they'll be offering everyone tomorrow. Note - I spent $10,000 on a range of equipment, so your mileage may vary if you're just buying a single unit. That said, I'm sure they never sell any item at a loss, so in theory, they should be able to match all prices.

PS51D450 - $690

PS59D6900 - $1750

PS64D550 - $2200

The price on the Series 6 59" unit was especially impressive, I thought. It's going straight in the pool room...

That sounds extreme. Good at least that Samsung had somebody come direct to you, instead of you somehow having to ship it back.

I've got the same model as you, and haven't noticed any banding at all, but am noticing significant 'clouding', mainly in the corners of the screen on dark images, particularly screens that are all black. I've managed a workaround by reducing the backlight to about 3 or 4, but I'm not sure I should have to do that to fix it. Moreover, on certain menus / interfaces that have uncustomisable picture settings (eg the 'smart hub', or the interface for any media server), the clouding is very obvious.

Has anybody else noticed this on the UA55D8000? I'm considering asking Samsung to come investigate as well, especially now that I know that they'll come direct to me.

Cheers.

Ive got the UA55D7000 and have some clouding depending on what im watching (like if its a dark program).

To get rid of it on mine I leave the backlighting on 13 which is my normal setting (In standard mode), and turn the brightness down a few notches (only need to reduce 3-5 units to around 45 and the clouds immediately disappear.

You shouldnt have to have your backlighting that low that is ridiculous.

See below prices for a range of plasmas from Goodguys today. I just saw an ad saying they have 20% off floor-wide tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see if even better deals are available, or if I just got lucky with my timings and got the same prices they'll be offering everyone tomorrow. Note - I spent $10,000 on a range of equipment, so your mileage may vary if you're just buying a single unit. That said, I'm sure they never sell any item at a loss, so in theory, they should be able to match all prices.

PS51D450 - $690

PS59D6900 - $1750

PS64D550 - $2200

The price on the Series 6 59" unit was especially impressive, I thought. It's going straight in the pool room...

Wow the d6900 is a good price, was that retail/ticket price? Also was the 20% on top of that as well?

Wow the d6900 is a good price, was that retail/ticket price? Also was the 20% on top of that as well?

Nah, that was the negotiated price. from memory - the ticket price was $2200-$2300.

That was yesterday - before todays 20% off sale. I've got no idea what they will list the ticket price as before the 20% off, so it will be interesting to see if people have been able to get it even cheaper today.

Got the 59" Samsung 6900 Plasma today. Was going to get the $64" 550 for $2200 but to be honest the screen reflection gave me the sh!ts plus it diddn't really look that much bigger in the shops. For some reason the old Panasonic 65" looks massive, but the 59" next to the 64" didn't look massively different. Its bigger obviously, but not hugely noticeable.

Model no: PS59D6900

Price: $1999 !!! :D :D

Place: Good Guys - Highpoint, Vic

Got a Bargain I reckon !! Also got the Crest Slim Wall mount for $50 (RRP $119) and plus delivery for $49. Can't wait until Monday !! :)

Gee 5 days later and the Good Guys have my TV on sale for $1894. Good time to get a tv now! Thanks to the owner of The Good Guys, they are going to honor the 30 day price guarantee, so Ill get the $100+ difference now its cheaper. (even thought he sales rep said no, its only if its a competitors price is cheaper, i thought it was pretty unfair since mine is still in its box and only bought it 5 days ago, the owner called this morning and said it was ok)

Big thanks and recommend The Good Guys Highpoint !! :)

Edited by dazbug

Just bought a PS59D6900 with three year warranty and delivery for $2,000 from Harvey Norman Gepps Cross in Adelaide. Their sticker price for the TV was around $2295 from memory, when Good Guys next door had it advertised for $1896. That certainly helped start the negotiation.

Gee 5 days later and the Good Guys have my TV on sale for $1894. Good time to get a tv now! Thanks to the owner of The Good Guys, they are going to honor the 30 day price guarantee, so Ill get the $100+ difference now its cheaper. (even thought he sales rep said no, its only if its a competitors price is cheaper, i thought it was pretty unfair since mine is still in its box and only bought it 5 days ago, the owner called this morning and said it was ok)

Big thanks and recommend The Good Guys Highpoint !! :)

Am looking at getting the PS64D8000 plasma

From Billy Guyatts online, $3290 + delivery to Cairns $170.

At the local JBHIFI it's listed at RRP $4299 and they said none in stock we can give you the display model and do it square for $4000 including an extra pair of glasses!!!!

So i finally received my 64D8000 and the actual brushed board was all warped and coming off the screen in parts, so HN quickly replaced it with a new one this morning...now this one didnt come with a remote or 3D glasses.

managed to set it up with the samsung iphone app while i wait for this to be sorted

looked new with the power cord taped up and all protective tape on the boarder.

ill have the remote tomorrow from HN, they have been pretty good with the replacement.,,in the mean time using the iphone app

whats a good wall mount for this tv, HN quoted me $349 for one

Am looking at getting the PS64D8000 plasma

From Billy Guyatts online, $3290 + delivery to Cairns $170.

At the local JBHIFI it's listed at RRP $4299 and they said none in stock we can give you the display model and do it square for $4000 including an extra pair of glasses!!!!

JB Hi-Fi (Townsville) quoted $3499 a couple of weeks back (without any effort).

Andys.

you sure its a new one, and not a repacked demo? No remote is weird.

The very first batch came without the remote. You had to claim it via redemption (by the end of June). There's a couple of different letters on the end of the serial number to indicate stock with/without the remote.

Andys.

the serial number on the new one was higher than the previous, and the box had remote included printed on it.

well after being called liar by HN i now have the remote from my original Tv in my hands so now i dont have to deal with them anymore...as long as the Tv doesnt break.

really? How are you meant to use the thing in the mean time if you dont have one of those iphone things?

I think it just came with a standard Samsung remote & not the Qwerty remote.

Andys.

I think it just came with a standard Samsung remote & not the Qwerty remote.

Andys.

Thats how mine came, had to email the form in, got an email today - its on its way!

Thats how mine came, had to email the form in, got an email today - its on its way!

How are you enjoying the D8000 so far? Any complaints? Any buzzing?

Andys.

Andys.

I'm loving my 64"D8000. No buzzing at all. I watch FTA through a PVR as I prefer it than built in tuner

no buzzing here either

for some reason i can not get my PS3 to run through my Yamaha RX-V663 amp. only sounds comes through and video resolution is not supported? when i run PS3 straight to tv its fine.

Andys.

I haven't noticed any buzzing on mine.

I got one of the charging stations from Amazon for less than $150.

One thing that is a disappointment is that there is no sound in the web browser.

New QWERTY remote arrived yesterday!

Great, now have 3 Samsung remotes..........

I haven't noticed any buzzing on mine.

I got one of the charging stations from Amazon for less than $150.

One thing that is a disappointment is that there is no sound in the web browser.

With the charging station, did you require a step down transformer?? The Amazon site doesn't allow posting of the charger to Australia. How did you get around that?

With the charging station, did you require a step down transformer?? The Amazon site doesn't allow posting of the charger to Australia. How did you get around that?

I didn't see anywhere that said the charger is not included when posting to Australia. I'll let you know when it arrives.

I didn't see anywhere that said the charger is not included when posting to Australia. I'll let you know when it arrives.

Was it from the US or UK?

Was it from the US or UK?

OK it's arrived. Has a small laptop style brick power supply with a figure 8 cable - quick plug change for an aussie plug or adapter. Adapter is rated for 110-240v.

4 pairs of glasses happily charging up as we speak. Goodbye USB.

Amazon.com. Cost inc shipping US$150.74 => AUD$145.96 nc bank fee etc.

Hey guys has anyone bought or seen good prices for a Samsung LED D6000 55 Inch recently?

Edited by brake

I've discovered one dead red pixel near the centre of my screen on my ps64d8000. Anything I can do to get rid of it or am I stuck with it? :mellow: