3 hours ago, IviewHD said:

I find it hard to believe that anyone who purchased a 2016 LG OLED is unhappy because it's performance is worse than there last gen plasma.I will be buying an OLED this year but i can't say i'll be watching much FTA tv on it, it will be mostly BD rips and 1080p tv shows.Oh and my fav foxtel channel thourobred central in 1080i.

Jury is out for me. I do think we've been sold a bit of a dud in the PQ stakes. Sure you can't deny the amazing crisp images on a 4k TV but it seems highly dependent on the source quality being pretty top notch) If you mostly watch FTA then I wouldn't recommend buying a OLED etc. But then again if you mostly watch FTA then you're probably not all that interested in spending a small fortune on a TV anyway. 

I remember watching videos on my PC that seemed full of artefacts  but when I shot them through to my TV it all seemed smooth and good. Perhaps these days TVs are more monitors than TVs and so the problems are reappearing.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My C7 from JB came in a small private courier van but was upright and the delivery guy asked me to check the “tilt sensors” attached to the box to confirm that it had not been laid on one side or angl

Not many people will highlight this in there OLED comparisons but the LG has the best operating system of any TV on the market and not by a small margin but a country mile.The PQ difference between th

You are not adding a lot to the discussion qwertyqaz.

20 minutes ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

the best of the worst picture that FTA can dish up at us

Yep... I wouldn't be buying a TV based on how it displays SD FTA. :blink:

JSmith :ninja:

26 minutes ago, JSmith said:

Yep... I wouldn't be buying a TV based on how it displays SD FTA. :blink:

Our New TV will be used only for upscaled 1080p movies to 2160p or UHD Movies and high bit rate sat 1080i Feeds and that about it. Rarely it will be on a FTA network

6 hours ago, IviewHD said:

I find it hard to believe that anyone who purchased a 2016 LG OLED is unhappy because it's performance is worse than there last gen plasma.

The only advantage of 2016 Oled would be 4K that never got to last gen Plasma.

LG may be the only maker of TV OLED screens but their TV technology is way behind the likes of Panasonic and Sony with HXC2 and X1 extreme processing to make the most of OLED while LG gets many complaints regarding processing like 'Trumotion' and dithering to compensate for banding which causes artifacts and blurry TV pictures.

Quote:  Trumotion also seems to create artifacts in Clear or Smooth settings: try De-Judder = 5 and De-Blur=10.

Quote:  LG's OLEDs have poor up-scaling and motion.

I think the truth will be revealed once the Sony and Pansonic Oled TVs are reviewed by an independent source.

Not like the 4K UP970 player is considered to be any good compared to the opposition.

Edited by mwd

2 hours ago, pgdownload said:

Jury is out for me. I do think we've been sold a bit of a dud in the PQ stakes. Sure you can't deny the amazing crisp images on a 4k TV but it seems highly dependent on the source quality being pretty top notch) If you mostly watch FTA then I wouldn't recommend buying a OLED etc. But then again if you mostly watch FTA then you're probably not all that interested in spending a small fortune on a TV anyway. 

I remember watching videos on my PC that seemed full of artefacts  but when I shot them through to my TV it all seemed smooth and good. Perhaps these days TVs are more monitors than TVs and so the problems are reappearing.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I have thrown all sorts of my own content at LG OLED's over the last 12 months at various stores and on different models.None of it was sd as i won't be watching any sd content on it but some of it was pretty average 720p tv downloads.Not on a single occasion did i see anything i would call inferior to my current Samsung F8500 plasma.I don't have any time for people who pay top dollar for a high end TV and complain because FTA sd looks horrible and it never used to.It always was horrible folks but upgrading from 1080p screens to 4K resolution are like a magnifying glass showing you how bad it really is.

As far as LG Oled going dull after time they have been clear in there specifications the expected pixel life and if they have lost unreasonable brightness at less than those hours i would expect compensation from LG for a faulty product.

On 4/17/2017 at 6:48 PM, IviewHD said:

On 4/17/2017 at 6:48 PM, IviewHD said:

LG's high-end 2016 OLED TVs deliver the best picture quality of any TV we've ever reviewed

That is about to change once there is more than one OLED TV maker in 2017 even using a LG Screen.

I dont even have my aerial connected anymore lol. I don't watch any free to air ever.

This is where the Sony will swoop in a win. And for blacks is where panasonic will win and i think will beat the old plasmas for contrast and maybe even rival Jvc projectors :o

4 hours ago, sero said:

I dont even have my aerial connected anymore lol. I don't watch any free to air ever.

This is where the Sony will swoop in a win. And for blacks is where panasonic will win and i think will beat the old plasmas for contrast and maybe even rival Jvc projectors :o

Pretty sure LG OLED beat Panasonic plasma TV's and JVC projectors for black level and contrast long ago. Oh and I've owned all three :)

1 hour ago, IviewHD said:

The contrast ratio of the LG's is infinite.The best you can get!

Yep... absolute black can't get any blacker, i.e. zero light output from that section of the panel.

Plasma be dead.

On 18 April 2017 at 0:25 AM, Satanica said:

I just replaced a last generation Panasonic ST with an LG OLED. I think you already know because you're reading this what I think. 

And how many people have moved from Plasma to LCD and been happy?

Personal preference is no indication of technical excellence, if it was LCD would be the best display tech ever produced by FAR. The measurements prove thats not the case as does the viewing IMHO. Those same measurements prove LG OLED TV's are outstanding for black level in a dark room, put they don't excel in any other aspect of performance and fall well short of high end Plasma in important areas.

31 minutes ago, Owen said:

high end Plasma

Mate plasma panels had their own sets of problems... which we won't go into again. Safe to say, plasma is dead as a dodo and OLED has improved rapidly.

Further, RGBOLED and WOLED consumer panels started at a much higher point PQ wise than the first copiously expensive plasma panels.

MicroLED is also emerging...

Edited by jsmith
link
11 hours ago, sero said:

Waits for Owen to swoop in with contrast figures!

It will be a long wait.

I'll repeat what I posted earlier.

"Fact is high end plasma still out performs LG's OLED in pretty much every aspect of performance OTHER than black level in a dark room."

In no particular order.

Screen  uniformity, especially dark screen uniformity, Plasma is king.

Native motion resolution, Plasma is king. 1080 lines V about 300

Off axis performance. OLED is better than LCD but still not up to Plasma standards.

Colour resolution, especially at low levels. This is an area of performance where LG OLED TV's are bottom of the heap and high end Plasma rules in the flat panel world.

Colour accuracy. LG OLED TV's have issues with blue that affect the secondary colours cyan and magenta. To top it off LG's colour management system is not up to the task of correcting the problems without creating more. Even your average low end Sony or Samsung LCD comes up more accurate after calibration then LG's OLED TV's.

Panasonic have shown what can be done with LG's OLED panels when quality processing is applied.

LG's OLED is still a one trick pony. For those who view in a dark room and can appreciate its black level, while ignoring the defects, good luck to them. For those like Blackman and I, who never view TV in a dark room, LG's only strength, superior black level, is irrelevant.

For the likes of me who has zero interest in viewing quality content (1080 or 4K Bluray) on a little TV "4K" is a non issue as is brightness as all TV"s are too bright for my use and must be turned down.

For my use the screen uniformity and low level colour resolution limitations of LG's OLED are the aspects of performance that most bother me, but they are important to my viewing pleasure and a deal breaker, as is the very ordinary performance with low quality video sources because that is all I ever view on a TV.

The TV NEEDS to perform very well with the content it has to display rather than some reference grade content that would look great on anything.

After spending some time comparing LG OLED against LCD's recently in a non dark environment I couldn't see any reason to buy the OLED TV unless the viewing environment was going to be very dim or dark. The OLED didn't do anything better than the cheap LCD sitting next to it displaying the exact same content, in fact the Sony LCD looked a lot better because it was a set up more accurately and had much better shadow detail.

1 hour ago, JSmith said:

Mate plasma panels had their own sets of problems... which we won't go into again. Safe to say, plasma is dead as a dodo and OLED has improved rapidly.

None of those so called "problems" affects my viewing enjoyment at all, which is why I purchased the Plasma in the first place over LCD and would do so again today.

The fact that Plasma TV's are not sold any more does not mean OLED should be given dispensations, OLED needs to have its act together in ALL areas of performance rarther than just one to get me interested.

Edited by Owen
8 hours ago, Owen said:

Plasma in the first place over LCD

I thought you were making comparisons to plasma? :blink:

8 hours ago, Owen said:

The fact that Plasma TV's are not sold any more does not mean OLED should be given dispensations

I disagree...

8 hours ago, Owen said:

just one

If this is your opinion, fine... but it's not fact.

9 hours ago, Owen said:

It will be a long wait.

I'll repeat what I posted earlier.

"Fact is high end plasma still out performs LG's OLED in pretty much every aspect of performance OTHER than black level in a dark room."

In no particular order.

Off axis performance. OLED is better than LCD but still not up to Plasma standards.

Colour resolution, especially at low levels. This is an area of performance where LG OLED TV's are bottom of the heap and high end Plasma rules in the flat panel world.

Colour accuracy. LG OLED TV's have issues with blue that affect the secondary colours cyan and magenta. To top it off LG's colour management system is not up to the task of correcting the problems without creating more. Even your average low end Sony or Samsung LCD comes up more accurate after calibration then LG's OLED TV's.

Panasonic have shown what can be done with LG's OLED panels when quality processing is applied.

LG's OLED is still a one trick pony. For those who view in a dark room and can appreciate its black level, while ignoring the defects, good luck to them. For those like Blackman and I, who never view TV in a dark room, LG's only strength, superior black level, is irrelevant.

For the likes of me who has zero interest in viewing quality content (1080 or 4K Bluray) on a little TV "4K" is a non issue as is brightness as all TV"s are too bright for my use and must be turned down.

For my use the screen uniformity and low level colour resolution limitations of LG's OLED are the aspects of performance that most bother me, but they are important to my viewing pleasure and a deal breaker, as is the very ordinary performance with low quality video sources because that is all I ever view on a TV.

The TV NEEDS to perform very well with the content it has to display rather than some reference grade content that would look great on anything.

After spending some time comparing LG OLED against LCD's recently in a non dark environment I couldn't see any reason to buy the OLED TV unless the viewing environment was going to be very dim or dark. The OLED didn't do anything better than the cheap LCD sitting next to it displaying the exact same content, in fact the Sony LCD looked a lot better because it was a set up more accurately and had much better shadow detail.

Agree with your comments about the utility of OLED black levels in a non dark room environment.  Was in the local JB some weeks ago viewing a 55" Samsung series 9 LED side by side with a 55" LG OLED both with roughly the same calibration settings.  In this environment, the black level performance of the OLED (including dark scenes) was a huge letdown - with the Samsung a clear winner IMHO.   

43 minutes ago, pc9 said:

In this environment

Yep, if there is bright light or a high level of ambient light, LCD has always been better in that case.

OLED performs best in a dark room, just the same as the old dead plasma panels... generally most would watch TV in the evening and draw the blinds during the day. I don't think people are expecting peak performance with the sun streaming right on the screen.

12 hours ago, Owen said:

And how many people have moved from Plasma to LCD and been happy?

Personal preference is no indication of technical excellence, if it was LCD would be the best display tech ever produced by FAR. The measurements prove thats not the case as does the viewing IMHO. Those same measurements prove LG OLED TV's are outstanding for black level in a dark room, put they don't excel in any other aspect of performance and fall well short of high end Plasma in important areas.

No way, for starters the fly screen effect is visible for at least 3 meters for a 1080p plasma in large white area scenes which always reminds you're looking at a screen and not the real thing.

OLED has a higher contrast ratio then plasma, not just better black levels.

Then there's plasma buzz which is audible and the heat produced by large sets is significant.

Unless I'm mistaken OLED is more efficient.

Edited by Satanica
11 hours ago, Owen said:

In no particular order.

Image retention was so bad on my ST60 that I couldn't use Foxtel because of the watermarks and I suffered burn in damage from something else. For my purposes a last model Panasonic plasma TV couldn't cut it as a general purpose everyday television. Just google how many people have image retention and burn in problems. I'm so happy that I replaced it with an LG OLED. Don't get me wrong, the ST60 was a very good set but I had to babysit it, especially with Foxtel Sports watermarks. The horizontal line bleed/ghosting use to **** me off too:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1499768-horizontal-line-ghosting-problem-my-new-panasonic-pic.html
http://www.highdefjunkies.com/plasma/12419-plasma-line-bleeding-no-fix.html#.WPgJLGclEuU

There's no problem with off-axis viewing or motion or screen uniformity (provided you don't turn brightness up too much) with LG OLED and as usual you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Edited by Satanica
1 hour ago, Satanica said:

Image retention was so bad on my ST60 that I couldn't use Foxtel because of the watermarks and I suffered burn in damage from something else. For my purposes a last model Panasonic plasma TV couldn't cut it as a general purpose everyday television. Just google how many people have image retention and burn in problems. I'm so happy that I replaced it with an LG OLED. Don't get me wrong, the ST60 was a very good set but I had to babysit it, especially with Foxtel Sports watermarks. The horizontal line bleed/ghosting use to **** me off too:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1499768-horizontal-line-ghosting-problem-my-new-panasonic-pic.html
http://www.highdefjunkies.com/plasma/12419-plasma-line-bleeding-no-fix.html#.WPgJLGclEuU

There's no problem with off-axis viewing or motion or screen uniformity (provided you don't turn brightness up too much) with LG OLED and as usual you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Hehe it took me about 10 months to totally get rid of the foxtel sport logo from my Samsung F8500 plasma and it only took watching a single game of A League football to burn in.I had to buy a seperate LCD screen to watch foxtel sport and use the Sammy for content without station id's.

3 minutes ago, IviewHD said:

Hehe it took me about 10 months to totally get rid of the foxtel sport logo from my Samsung F8500 plasma and it only took watching a single game of A League football to burn in.I had to buy a seperate LCD screen to watch foxtel sport and use the Sammy for content without station id's.

I've not had any burn in issues on my Kuro 508 - still using it to this day(after my VT60 blew and couldn't be replaced).

The orbiter on the Kuro and Pana both worked well and no issues with Fox sports or any other logo channels. 

41 minutes ago, Shankman said:

I've not had any burn in issues on my Kuro 508 - still using it to this day(after my VT60 blew and couldn't be replaced).

The orbiter on the Kuro and Pana both worked well and no issues with Fox sports or any other logo channels. 

I use to have one, a great set.

I just found it too small, it did not enough pixels and I hated the 2-3% over-scan causing image loss which was impossible to turn off.

6 minutes ago, Satanica said:

I use to have one, a great set.

I just found it too small, it did not enough pixels and I hated the 2-3% over-scan causing image loss which was impossible to turn off.

It's definitely too small, specially going back down from my 65 VT60.

I'm just waiting on OLED to get its **** together in terms of motion resolution and SD\FTA processing as that is what I use the set for most.

To be honest switching back to the Kuro I found FTA and motion resolution was better. Not sure if it was the smaller sized screen which hides the artifacts better or if Pioneer had better upscaling and procesing for lower quality signals...or both.

I'm hoping Sony and\or Panasonic will address these issues on their OLED sets. Although from initial reviews the motion handling on the Sony sets doesn't sounds much better than the LG. 

3 minutes ago, Shankman said:

It's definitely too small, specially going back down from my 65 VT60.

I'm just waiting on OLED to get its **** together in terms of motion resolution and SD\FTA processing as that is what I use the set for most.

To be honest switching back to the Kuro I found FTA and motion resolution was better. Not sure if it was the smaller sized screen which hides the artifacts better or if Pioneer had better upscaling and procesing for lower quality signals...or both.

I'm hoping Sony and\or Panasonic will address these issues on their OLED sets. Although from initial reviews the motion handling on the Sony sets doesn't sounds much better than the LG. 

I don't know what you're worried about, both are absolutely fine in real world use to me.
While plasma has better motion resolution it seems to come at the expense of "flicker" which is another great way to remind you're looking at a screen.
Sure ABC news looks pretty rough but it's crappy SD.
I prefer to watch all of my FTA via a Foxtel IQ3 so I'm at the mercy of what it outputs anyway.

6 hours ago, JSmith said:

Yep, if there is bright light or a high level of ambient light, LCD has always been better in that case.

The place where I viewed the OLED was not very brightly lit and the LG OLED was running brighter that the LCD next too it. The base model LCD still had a much better image due to its superior setup. The LG was crushing shadows to artificially emphasise contrast and that wasn't a good look.

After full calibration they would end up looking effectively identical but be very different in price.

From my own LCD's I know how dim the room has to be before black level is an issue. In my dim but not dark night time environment LCD black is a noticeable problem but the VT60 screen looks as black as its bezel. Its when I make the room really dark, as I would for using the projector, that the Plasma black level is obviously grey. I never view TV in a room that dark and in my experience very few people would. For those who do OLED is the gun even with its short comings.

6 hours ago, Satanica said:

No way, for starters the fly screen effect is visible for at least 3 meters for a 1080p plasma in large white area scenes which always reminds you're looking at a screen and not the real thing

You must have exceptional eye sight mate. My optometrist says I have 20/20 (normal) distance vision without glasses, however I had a pair of prescription glasses made to give me the best vision possible, which is much better then 20/20. I just cranked up the HTPC to check and even wearing my glasses there is no way I can see any screen door at 3m on the 65" VT60. I can just begin to make it out at around 2m and no way I ever view from that close.

OLED has a higher contrast ratio then plasma, not just better black levels.

That's only relevant if the room is dark enough to see it, and my TV viewing environmnet is not.

Then there's plasma buzz which is audible and the heat produced by large sets is significant.

I just went right up to my Plasma to check for buzz, there is none even with the sound off in a quiet room. If the room is dead quite late at night in my non suburban area I can just hear the cooling fan on the back, its about as noisy as the disk drive running in the set top box. As for heat, the TV is mildly warm to the touch and no problem at all. The projector throws out much more heat and I could not care less. Climate control is great. ;-)

Unless I'm mistaken OLED is more efficient.

The day I have to be concerned about the power consumption of a TV I will consider myself too hard up to own one. I spend $20 a night on drinks and nibbles so what's an extra 2 cents for power?:blink:

Image retention was so bad on my ST60 that I couldn't use Foxtel because of the watermarks

Burn in and image retention issues vary a lot between sets and users, some have problems and others never do.

My Plasma has 3300 hours up and no burn it, even though most of those hours where clocked up displaying the ABC news with its fixed logo and ticker bare. I did notice a little negative burn in (the opposite of burn in) on the left edge of the ticker which is always black and got far less use then the rest of the screen, but it sorted its self out with time and I dont expect it to return now that the set is fully run in.

A friend of mine has a 60" F8500 and watches Foxtel sport regularly with no problem, and the other 5 Plasma TV's have I have had regular contact with had no burn in issues either.

11 minutes ago, JSmith said:

Owen, PLASMA IS DEAD!

Its very much alive and kicking here mate, and I expect it will be for years to come.;)

14 minutes ago, JSmith said:

The performance of current OLED TV's is fantastic.

Not for the content I view on a TV its not.

3 hours ago, Satanica said:

While plasma has better motion resolution it seems to come at the expense of "flicker" which is another great way to remind you're looking at a screen.

Old non 3D Plasmas running 96-100Hz where not prone to flicker. The fast phosphors required for 3D increased flicker, especially if the display was run bright.

With age the flicker reduces and if you dont run the screen bright flicker is a non issue as far as I am concerned, and I'm more sensitive to it then most people.

Most of the problems people have with Plasma are due to them running the TV too bright.

All flat panel TV's are "looking at a screen" to me, which is why I dont watch movies on a TV. The only time I can forget the screen is when viewing Bluray content on a good projector.

47 minutes ago, Owen said:

Not for the content I view on a TV its not.

Only you judged all this in a store under severe strobing white light... I'll stick with the opinions of actual owners like Satantica and quality professional reviewers thanks. :)

Can we go back to discussing OLED and not some dead tech?

1 hour ago, JSmith said:

Owen, PLASMA IS DEAD!

;)

The performance of current OLED TV's is fantastic.

Technically Owen is right that they are not dead until the last one goes tits up which may be in 30 or 40 years.What the corporates did when they pulled the pin on plasma was to drop gran pa off at the retirement home so he could live out the rest of his life with his old plasma friends.They never came back to visit or sent a Christmas card and all i can hear now is this young OLED crowd next door blaring non stop day and night! :( 

1 minute ago, IviewHD said:

drop grandpa off at the retirement home so he could live out the rest of his life with his old plasma

:rofl:

Product Year   Type Resolution Motion Our Reviews
LG C7 2017 55" 65" OLED 4k 9.6 See Review
LG E6 2016 55" 65" OLED 4k 9.3 See Review
LG EF9500 2015 65" OLED 4k 9.3 See Review
LG C6 2016 55" 65" OLED 4k 9.3 See Review
LG EG9600 2015 55" 65" OLED 4k 9.2 See Review
Sony X850D 2016 55" 85" LED 4k 9.2 See Review
LG EG9100 2015 55" OLED 1080p 9.2 See Review
Sony X930D 2016 65" LED 4k 9.2 See Review
Vizio P Series 2016 2016 50" 55" 65" 75" LED 4k 9.2 See Review
Sony X900E 2017 49" 55" 65" 75" LED 4k 9.2 See Review
Sony X750D 2016 65" LED 4k 9.2 See Review
LG B6 2016 55" 65" OLED 4k 9.1 See Review
Sony X850E 2017 65" 75" LED 4k 9.0 See Review
Samsung Q7F 2017 55" 65" 75" LED 4k 9.0 See Review
Vizio M Series 2016 2016 50" 55" 65" 70" LED 4k 8.8 See Review

Product Year   Type Resolution Motion Our Reviews
LG C7 2017 55" 65" OLED 4k 9.6 See Review
LG E6 2016 55" 65" OLED 4k 9.3 See Review
LG EF9500 2015 65" OLED 4k 9.3 See Review
LG C6 2016 55" 65" OLED 4k 9.3 See Review
LG EG9600 2015 55" 65" OLED 4k 9.2 See Review
Sony X850D 2016 55" 85" LED 4k 9.2 See Review
LG EG9100 2015 55" OLED 1080p 9.2 See Review
Sony X930D 2016 65" LED 4k 9.2 See Review
Vizio P Series 2016 2016 50" 55" 65" 75" LED 4k 9.2 See Review
Sony X900E 2017 49" 55" 65" 75" LED 4k 9.2 See Review
Sony X750D 2016 65" LED 4k 9.2 See Review
LG B6 2016 55" 65" OLED 4k 9.1 See Review
Sony X850E 2017 65" 75" LED 4k 9.0 See Review
Samsung Q7F 2017 55" 65" 75" LED 4k 9.0 See Review
Vizio M Series 2016 2016 50" 55" 65" 70" LED 4k 8.8 See Review

Pretty sick of hearing this cr@p about OLED having bad motion... just rubbish;
25 minutes ago, IviewHD said:

drop gran pa off at the retirement home so he could live out the rest of his life with his old plasma friends.

I plan on retiring next year, so the "old" Plasma and I can live out our days together. Wont even consider a 65" OLED as a replacement but a 75" plus might sway me.

6 minutes ago, JSmith said:

Pretty sick of hearing this cr@p about OLED having bad motion... just rubbish;

Who said it was "bad"?

OLED is a sample and hold display just like LCD, because of that both have a native motion resolution of about 300 lines. Any improvement over that is entirely due to artificial enhancement.

Motion smoothness is a totally different issue and not related to the panel tech used.

I dont mind sample and hold, its a non issue as far as I am concerned because I dont view content where motion resolution matters.