Space: 1999 Coming To Blu-ray

I was shocked but thrilled that the first season of Space: 1999 is up for preorder on Amazon! I really wasn't expecting it at all, but apparently they have done some restoration work for this season so it should look pretty good.

There is a little bit on the restoration here: http://www.bbcstudiosandpostproduction.com...space_1999.html

I loved this series when I was growing up. If you ignore the laws of physics, the first season is excellent. Even the second season had its moments but it turned into the "monster of the week" type of thing.

Best opening sequence of any series EVAH!

Edited by dazzarama

Sometimes series should be left as a good memory or rewatched only on analogue TV. I think Space 1999 might fall into this category. Don't get me wrong, I used to love this series as well and Alan Carter will always be a hero. I regularly skipped after school cricket training to watch it, which in hindsight was less than responsible being captain of the team. :o

Having read the BBC article hopes are raised somewhat that Blu-ray might actually bring something other than a money grab. Granada/ITV are the competition to the BBC so for the article to be written must mean something. Maybe.

And you're right dazza, series one is enough. :lol:

Sometimes series should be left as a good memory or rewatched only on analogue TV. I think Space 1999 might fall into this category.

You are soooo right on this. When it was available from BigPond TV Downloads, I got the familly together to watch what I billed as one of the Classic Sci-Fi TV Series of all time. Turns out they all think I was nuts. My 1970's memories were so much better than my 2000's veiwing. Leave this one where it belongs a great memory.....

You are soooo right on this. When it was available from BigPond TV Downloads, I got the familly together to watch what I billed as one of the Classic Sci-Fi TV Series of all time. Turns out they all think I was nuts. My 1970's memories were so much better than my 2000's veiwing. Leave this one where it belongs a great memory.....

I don't know. The first series is just so good... mysterious and very 2001-like. They left things unanswered a lot of the time. As such, it's like the anti-Star Trek.

Daz

Have already got s1 and s2 on DVD. Best ep was Dragon's Domain imho. Not sure how much improvement could be obtained on Bluray. I'm pretty sure the original series was shot on film rather than video tape, so it should restore quite well. But the original sound was mono and the aspect was 4:3, which limits what can be done.

• 3 months later...

I've now succumbed to the gravitational pull of anything by Gerry & Sylvia Anderson and ordered this from Amazon UK. :o

I suppose part of my motivation is to make my own tiny contribution to increasing the sale figures so it can be seen there is a demand for the Anderson shows in BD. Therefore I had bought the Thunderbirds BDs, even though I would have prefered something like Captain Scarlet.

My theory is that consequently UFO will come out on Blu just that bit quicker... :lol:B) I bloody well hope so....

I LOL'd at some at some of the comments at the link about Space: 1999.

"Sadly, Blu-Ray cannot improve the writing."

"Does the Blu-Ray do anything to help Barbara Bain seem any more awake?"

I've now succumbed to the gravitational pull of anything by Gerry & Sylvia Anderson and ordered this from Amazon UK. :o

I suppose part of my motivation is to make my own tiny contribution to increasing the sale figures so it can be seen there is a demand for the Anderson shows in BD. Therefore I had bought the Thunderbirds BDs, even though I would have prefered something like Captain Scarlet.

My theory is that consequently UFO will come out on Blu just that bit quicker... :lol:B) I bloody well hope so....

I LOL'd at some at some of the comments at the link about Space: 1999.

"Sadly, Blu-Ray cannot improve the writing."

"Does the Blu-Ray do anything to help Barbara Bain seem any more awake?"

The dude that wrote the entire time line, obviously had thought this through very long and hard ( to much time but worth the read ) .