Is This A Good Price For A Sony 60" Led - $4468?

Was just in Sony Central and saw they have their 60" LED on sale for $4468. Is this a good price or not? The normal price is $5699. That's over 1 grand off. What have other people in here paid for their 60" LEDs (Sony or otherwise)? The model number is KDL60EX700.

Is it even worth getting a 60" or would the 52" or 55" suffice? They had it up next to a 52" LED and both looked pretty good, but the 52" was drastically less - I think by about $2,000. That seems like a pretty big premium for an extra 8 inches...

Edited by DZ621

Was just in Sony Central and saw they have their 60" LED on sale for $4468. Is this a good price or not? The normal price is $5699. That's over 1 grand off. What have other people in here paid for their 60" LEDs (Sony or otherwise)? The model number is KDL60EX700.

Is it even worth getting a 60" or would the 52" or 55" suffice? They had it up next to a 52" LED and both looked pretty good, but the 52" was drastically less - I think by about $2,000. That seems like a pretty big premium for an extra 8 inches...

Parts of the population would disagree with your last statement. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You're paying a premium for the marketing bs of edge-lit LED-LCD, an inferior technology compared to standard ccfl panels. The EX500 and HX700 are way better value and better overall picture quality (IMO), and would be at the top of my list over anything edge-lit, should you specifically be after an LCD panel.

Andys.

Edited by andys

When you can buy a very nice 63” Samsung Plasma for hear half the price what is the attraction of the Sony “LED” edge lit LCD?

Half the price? RRP on the 63" Samsung is $4499, compared with $5699 on the Sony 60". Hardly 20% less, and the power consumption of a 63" plasma is massive. 560W operational, compared with 208W for the Sony LCD.

Half the price? RRP on the 63" Samsung is $4499, compared with $5699 on the Sony 60". Hardly 20% less, and the power consumption of a 63" plasma is massive. 560W operational, compared with 208W for the Sony LCD.

lol yes, don't worry about the $1,200 difference in RRP, worry about the $0.05 an hour power usage difference lolol.. i mean it'll only take literally 1000 straight days of 24/7 watching to make up the price difference.

The Samsung 63" can be had for under $3500 and the 58" for as low as $2500. Turn off a light or two you left on and you've basically made up the difference in power consumption. The lower power consumption of the LED-LCD also produces a lower quality picture. That may or may not be a concern to some.

Andys.

Guest EZYHD

Paid $4720 for my Panny 65" V10 back in Dec 2009. less free Wii I sold on eBay for $300, less $100 Myer voucher, thought that was ok.

The PS63C7000 is 500w mate, not 560w

The PS63C7000 is 500w mate, not 560w

And that's peak consumption on a pure white screen, most of the time it's using significantly less than that unlike an LCD which has the backlight on all the time. ;)

You should have no trouble picking up the 63” Sammy for less than $3500, and now that the Sammy promotion is over I would expect closer to $3k would be achievable.

Power ratings are maximum ratings and on a Plasma TV are meaningless, the average power consumption viewing normal picture content is much lower. The only way to get a Plasma to use it rated power is to view a steady 100% white screen with the contrast control at maximum. The lower the contrast setting and the less pixels that are on the lower the power consumption.

Modern LCD's use dynamic back lighting and unless you run with the back light locked on maximum an LCD will not use its maximum rated power either, however the variation is not as much as with Plasma.