Quark's Ht Room

Over the past few years this forum has caused me to incur considerable expense! :o

By way of example, this was our set up after participating in one of the Pio GBs: post-4905-1279688374_thumb.jpg Yorac's Elektra was added in early 2008 and is still going strong.

In the pursuit of some better sound we upgraded the stereo gear and all speakers mid 2009: post-4905-1279688526_thumb.jpg I've been more than happy with Greg Osborn's gear.

At the GTG at Selbys a few months ago I was mightily impressed by Mark's Mk4 lens (the Mk3 and corrector were also very good) and finally made the call to get a projector and set up a basic HT. The glass and timber divider you can see in the 2009 photo was replaced with some timber lining and doors for light control - had a chippy in to do the work and you can blame me for the paint.

From the kitchen family area: post-4905-1279688628_thumb.jpg

Doors open: post-4905-1279688676_thumb.jpg

The windows in the room are a bit of a problem, even with good curtains. post-4905-1279688781_thumb.jpg Thanks to Drizt and mr-happy-pants for the suggestion of adding some timber above the curtain rail instead of the trouble of building a full pelmet. :D

Some shots of the room as it's now set up.

post-4905-1279688926_thumb.jpg That's an OZTS 130" scope screen courtesy of Selby. We recently picked up a couple more F4 supers for the HT L/R channels so the HT and stereo systems are now separated from each other (no need to run the valve amps for HT duties [a waste] and the stereo gear doesn't have remote on/off functions, which has caused low WAF [sWMBO is happy the HT system is again operated through just the Harmony remote]).

post-4905-1279688958_thumb.jpg

post-4905-1279688993_thumb.jpg

Bunnings AV solutions :lol: to hold the BenQ W6000 (thanks Jason V for a great price) :D

post-4905-1279689148_thumb.jpg

post-4905-1279689184_thumb.jpg

A photo of the HT and stereo gear (the entertainment unit was ordered through Greg Osborn - believe Aranmar Acoustics make all his cabinets - great WAF factor!)

post-4905-1279689356_thumb.jpg

Screen shots to come once the Mk4 lens arrives in a couple of weeks - in the meantime I'm dragging out all the 16:9 content and holding off on a lot of scope titles that have arrived in recent months.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow mate, you've come a long way. Must be scary looking back.

Looks awesome, good work :)

We started back in 2004 with a Pio 434 panel and 969 disc player...

Thanks for the feedback. :D

Bloody good mate....your eloquence puts P G Woodhouse to shame....Good going, old chap!!

Eloquence? I'm usually the one being accused of calling a spade an expletive shovel!

Thanks for your kind words. :D

WOW... very impressive mate.

Its seems like I was only over your place the other week for a listen... its changed so much :o

You have a lovely setup right there, congrats mate.

No more rattling windows on the left hand side, that must be a relief :)

Looks great Quark.

I too, am a big fan of timber. It looks like western red cedar for the horizontal panelling, but what timber are the doors constructed of? All looks very nice and warm and a great invitation to what lies ahead!

How do you find the acoustics with the sloped ceiling?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is WAF? Something to do with wife acceptance? If so, it would be HAF in my case :lol:

WOW... very impressive mate.

Its seems like I was only over your place the other week for a listen... its changed so much :o

You have a lovely setup right there, congrats mate.

No more rattling windows on the left hand side, that must be a relief :)

Thanks mate. We started the week after you and Mr HP were over - took three times as long as it should have due to pathetic materials suppliers (won't bore you with the details). Chippy was great and the carpet people good too (we had the whole house redone - you probably saw it was tatty after 20 years of wear).

Yes, good to get rid of that glass divider - I think every sheet of glass rattled (nothing to do with the sub being cranked up when the better half was out ;) )

Looks great Quark.

I too, am a big fan of timber. It looks like western red cedar for the horizontal panelling, but what timber are the doors constructed of? All looks very nice and warm and a great invitation to what lies ahead!

How do you find the acoustics with the sloped ceiling?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is WAF? Something to do with wife acceptance? If so, it would be HAF in my case :lol:

Hi 709er, there's western red cedar on the ceiling, but we went with jarrah on the wall, as it's a lot harder (we have some WRC on another wall in the house and even though it's not a high traffic area, it's picked up a few minor marks over the years [being very soft]). The wall is in a high traffic area so we wanted something that wouldn't mark too easily. The doors are a cherry veneer (made by Statesman Doors in case you're interested).

Yes, WAF = wife acceptance factor - she indulges me in this hobby most of the time and I do try to make some concessions so it's not all one way. Hope your HAF is high.

The acoustics of the room are reasonable - I suspect the vaulted ceiling doesn't help (probably more so with stereo imaging than HT), nor do the large windows (bass leakage), but the slightly complicated shape does seem to mean we don't have too many nulls.

Some very nice gear.

And yes, I can see the WAF in the cabinets :D :D :D

Thanks Jutta - the quilted bubinga finish meant high WAF (luckily it's not causing many issues with reflections off the screen).

Edited by Quark

Quark, that has come up an absolute treat.

You've done great things with that space.

I love the way you've isolated it from the other living area.

Like Drizt said, it seems like only last week when we visited.

So, how good is the PJ and screen picture wise?

I bet it's fantastic!

Graham

Quark, that has come up an absolute treat.

You've done great things with that space.

I love the way you've isolated it from the other living area.

Like Drizt said, it seems like only last week when we visited.

So, how good is the PJ and screen picture wise?

I bet it's fantastic!

Graham

Thanks Graham, we're pleased with how it came together.

The W6000 really is great for a mid range projector and with the screen the picture is sensational (this despite some light leakage at the bottom of 5m of curtains - the PJ really is a light cannon). I should try some tweaking - at the moment it's running out of the box defaults except for cinema mode, bright colour off and economy lamp on.

I can't believe how much affordable projector technology has improved over the last few years - previously had issues with RBE but not a hint, notwithstanding the W6000 being a DLP.

• 5 weeks later...

A few new photos with the Aussiemorphic Mk 4 lens in place:

post-4905-1282803025_thumb.jpg

post-4905-1282803077_thumb.jpg

post-4905-1282803132_thumb.jpg

A few test patterns:

post-4905-1282803158_thumb.jpg

post-4905-1282803191_thumb.jpg

post-4905-1282803212_thumb.jpg

post-4905-1282803253_thumb.jpg

There's some vertical pincushion effect introduced by the camera lens - it doesn't exist in real life. There's virtually no pincushion effect from the Mk 4.

If you zoom Test patterns 2 and 4 you may notice some softness on the vertical lines on the far left and far right - this is a limitation of the W6000's optics, not the Mk 4. The W6000 is giving a little chromatic aberration because I'm using some horizontal lens shift - can get the left or right side sharp, as well as the centre, so have compromised on both sides being a little soft.

You'll probably notice that all of the photos are a little soft - the sensor on my camera is from an era when some were susceptible to degrading from humidity - after 7+years it's succumbing. It's much worse in low light situations, so I haven't loaded any movie images, as they don't give any idea of the actual picture quality (which I think is sensational). Need to buy a new camera at some point... :(

Finally, a couple of pictures of the storm case the Mk 4 now ships in - very nice Mark. :D

post-4905-1282804004_thumb.jpg

post-4905-1282804255_thumb.jpg

Must say I'm very happy with the Mk 4 lens. :D

Congrats mate - great setup !

Love to see some BR screenshots when you get a chance but realise very hard to do the setup justice with a photo.

Thanks mate. Hope to get a new camera in the next month or so - will put up some screenshots then.

Forgive me Quark if you have already mentioned this, but what do you have for side masking when watching 16:9?

No masking at present for 16:9. :( Would love to get one of Prior's side masking systems when funds are in a healthier state (as well as a Cineslide for the Mk 4 - Prior, there's another opportunity for local product development :winky: ).

Well done Quark. I know how much you wanted an Anamorphic Lens. The patterns look well nigh on perfect!

Great setup.

Cheers

Blade

Thanks Blade, yes the optics on the Mk4 are exceptionally good. :D

• 1 month later...

I got to have a look-see of Quark's updated room on the weekend

The photos don't do it justice :)

A great array of Osborn speakers, SS and valve gear.

It's very well finished and I got to see the MK IV Scope lens in action on his 130" Scope screen & BenQ6000

Fantastic result!

Good to catch up, listening to tunes, drinkin' beer, watching HD Scope and talking 'bout blokey things

Thanks for having me over Quark

I had a great time :)

Graham