Fully Featured Dab/dab+/dmb Receiver Modules On Sale

alanh

So how far away are we from seeing a dab+ radio that has all the features that dab+ promises and is capable of...pause, rewind, data feeds, slide shows and whatever else.

I know some of the pure radios offer revu function (pause/rewind) but that seems to be about it. Most offer scrolling text but in the main that's no better than rds.

Manufacturers seem to be more interested in adding on iPod docks, USB ports, AUX inputs, WiFi and internet radio along with FM and AM etc etc. With all of that DAB+ kind of plaes into insignificance doesn't it; 30 'new' DAB stations versus 16,000 intrenet stations B)

How about a unit that packs in all the DAB+ features and either has a decent sized screen (say iPhone size screen for portables/table top models) or a video output to connect a TV/Monitor.

I suspect we're a long way from that.

blairy

So how far away are we from seeing a dab+ radio that has all the features that dab+ promises and is capable of...pause, rewind, data feeds, slide shows and whatever else.

I know some of the pure radios offer revu function (pause/rewind) but that seems to be about it. Most offer scrolling text but in the main that's no better than rds.

Manufacturers seem to be more interested in adding on iPod docks, USB ports, AUX inputs, WiFi and internet radio along with FM and AM etc etc. With all of that DAB+ kind of plaes into insignificance doesn't it; 30 'new' DAB stations versus 16,000 intrenet stations B)

How about a unit that packs in all the DAB+ features and either has a decent sized screen (say iPhone size screen for portables/table top models) or a video output to connect a TV/Monitor.

I suspect we're a long way from that.

blairy

With you blairy, one day hopefully. And your right scrolling text rds can do but how many stations actually use that properly most of the time the scrolling text nothing to do with the music playing or just telling you name of station or program or something useless.

The artist and track info with dab plus is a huge bonus. But yeah we are sorely missing radios that can pause and rewind live radio. I've seen nothing perfect as yet. The pure highway had revu but then couldn't do track and artist info. The iriver portables could do broadcast screen savers and pause, record and rewind live radio. But the track and artist info might as well have been In braille it was that hard to read and ofcourse with their pox reception pretty useless as portables anyways.

One day...

All,

There is no money in naming artists etc. The in commercial stations the money will be using a VGA quality image to show advertising, album covers etc.

AlanH

In Sydney, Triple M, 2DayFM, NOVA 969, Classic Rock 95.3, Mix 106.5 and WSFM all have track and artist name on DAB+ and most on FM text, as do most of the digital only music stations and ABC digital music stations.

Assuming the text encoding is done automatically, there is minimal cost involved and it's just part of the station's service surely.

All,

There is no money in naming artists etc. The in commercial stations the money will be using a VGA quality image to show advertising, album covers etc.

AlanH

Maybe we'll see radio statiosn adopting the foxtel model and charging to play music and display artist/song details/pics B)

With you blairy, one day hopefully. And your right scrolling text rds can do but how many stations actually use that properly most of the time the scrolling text nothing to do with the music playing or just telling you name of station or program or something useless.

The artist and track info with dab plus is a huge bonus. But yeah we are sorely missing radios that can pause and rewind live radio. I've seen nothing perfect as yet. The pure highway had revu but then couldn't do track and artist info. The iriver portables could do broadcast screen savers and pause, record and rewind live radio. But the track and artist info might as well have been In braille it was that hard to read and ofcourse with their pox reception pretty useless as portables anyways.

One day...

One day...in a parallel universe...and not in my liefetime :lol:

Seriously tho, DAB+, apart from some additional/new/multi broadcast stations has little to no benefit over existing FM Radio (albeit AM talkback sounds substantially better on DAB+).

I can listen to FM on my AVR and display RDS info on my connected panel. Surely DAB+ would benefit from providing this feature in it's hardware. And stations could broadcast a lot more than track/artist info.

Portability is great, but only if you're in a major city. Haven't tried DAB+ but for DAB I needed to be connected to an external antenna to get anything (outer western suburbs of Sydney) and most of the hardware being sold today doesn't allow such a connection.

DAB+ isn't even off the ground yet, but it's competing with AM and FM as well as internet radio (which I listen to quite a bit) to say nothing of the convenience of using your own music on iPod docs or WiFi streaming.

My view would be that if they don't make a move soon with the specific DAB+ features and provide all the benefits of this format it will crash and burn before it gets to the end of the runway.

We're already seeing a number of models (eg Pure Senisa - can I describe this as akin to a rugby ball shaped iPad?) where the inclusion of DAB+ (sans DAB+ featueres) almost seems to have been an after thought.

Radio with text and graphics is innovative - what is being served up is not. Radio with text and graphics with the ability to instantly provide feedback to or ask questions of the station/artist/music distributor/advertisers would be innovative and some (in the world of radio).

cheers

blairy

Blairy, the biggest problem is even more basic than that....reception.

With the p!ss poor reception we got now forget about features people be lucky to pick up a decent signal first. Probably got to get that one cornered with reception as good as fm am as we have now before anyone starts worrying about whY whizz bang feature the thing might have.