Dvd Recorder Tuner Issue

I have a problem with my Panasonic XW380....had it working fine for a couple of weeks, but then last weekend started to pixellate badly when running free to air TV channels thru to TV. When I switched to my TV tuner (connected via RF from the XW380), total pixellation or no signal. Tried it on another TV and smae result. My XW300 was working fine on both televisions.....so I thought it musnt be an antenna problem, but a problem with my XW380.

Took it back to retailer, hooked it up, and it worked fine.........frustrating. Took it home and then same result....pixellation or no signal both TVs. Did a factory reset, rescanned...tried everything. Took it back next day and retailer replaced, and did say a few people have had issues with reception on their televisions when running RF thru this model.

So took new one home, and ....same problem. Once my headache subsided, I boxed it up and took it too my inlaws and hooked it up.....and worked perfectly.

So.....XW380 doesnt like what my antenna is feeding it, but the XW300 has no problems, on either TV at my house.

What does everyone think.......this is obviously a local problem at my place. Is the XW380 getting a signal that is either too weak or too strong from my antenna amplifier? But the 380 worked fine for a couple of weeks, and nothing has really changed at home.

Any thoughts?

Edited by ghostmo

What does everyone think.......this is obviously a local problem at my place. Is the XW380 getting a signal that is either too weak or too strong from my antenna amplifier? But the 380 worked fine for a couple of weeks, and nothing has really changed at home. Any thoughts?
I does seem its localised to your house. And yes I'd say its an antenna issue. The nature of digital is you'll get 100% picture even as the signal strength drops, but at some point you tip over the cliff. So at 82% signal you're fine but at 79% you get nothing. Sounds like what you're experiencing. The places you took the machine too presumably had higher signal strengths. It could be some environmental change that has affected your signal but regardless you'll need to look to up your antennas capabilities. I'd be getting an antenna guy in and he should be able to localise any issue or just switch up the antenna to get you back above 79% :)

As for too much or too little signal, well it could be either, however from what you describe I'd be inclined to go too little.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I can see your point, BUT all my televisions work perfectly, the XW300 works perfectly, the EX75 works perfectly when antenna cable runs thru them. Its only when I hook up to the XW380 that the problem begins.

not all tuners are created equal and the 380 might be a few pips lower than your other equipment. But as I say If all your other equipment is sitting on 83% and the 380 is on 82% then you can have perfect for them and nothing for the 380 (Numbers just made up.) It would seem that there is some signal level that does restore the 380 to working fine. I'm suggesting you upgrade your locale to that level (or throw away the 380). I don't think there's anything repairable about the 380 that will solve the issue.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

A customer had this exact issue with a Panna recorder yesterday...... Pixelation using the Panna tuner... ok on the TV tuner, even when looped through the recorder.

Interestingly, signal measurements were almost excellent on the most-affected channel.

I've known some devices to create some spurious noise from their own power supplies etc, so I changed RF cables from the existing cheap flyleads from the wall and the loop-thru cable to the TV.... instant fix.

Possibly some noise being picked up by the crappy cables upsetting the Panna's tuner.

If you haven't done so already, try replacing all your flyleads & interconnecting coax to RG6 Quadshield.