Program Update Dialog Obscures Recordings

Guest Soporose

Guest Soporose

I have a Dick Smith GH5926 HD STB which has been working fine, but there is one very annoying thing...

Some time in the early hours it pops up a box on the screen about a program update, and the box has to be manually cleared by pressing the OK button on the remote. The STB then resets itself -- turns itself off then on again.

The problem is that, if there's any recording scheduled to occur while the program update box is on the screen, the box is also recorded and thus obscures the program being recorded.

Is there any way around this?

Is there any way around this?

Asking again after 3 months? :)

I assume there's no way to turn off the auto updating in the menu?

Is the auto updating hard coded to a certain period, or only pops up if an update is found? If the later then updates are probably becoming less frequent? Possibly connected with new channels like the new ABC24?

You're recording the via the STB/TV so anything appearing on the TV will be recorded. Personally I'd suggest buying a PVR that combines a harddrive and STB so recording is very simple. But your budget may not allow that.

Guest Soporose

Well, silly me!

Having been through the menus several times and missing it I'm now forced to wonder about my sanity.

I finally found the option to either turn software updates off, or set the time of the update. The time was set for 4 AM, which shouldn't have interfered with anything that I would be have been likely to record.

Anyway, for now I have turned it off, but what the implications are I have no idea.

• 4 weeks later...

We have a TEAC HDB842 set top box. The annoying message "Service List Update Yes / No" used to appear only on the Network 9 series of digital broadcast channels which didn't particularly bother us as we mostly watch ABC, SBS, TVS TV. With recent upgrades to the ABC Network 2 series of digital broadcast channels to include the new 24-hour news channel, the previously OK signal on all 2 series channels now also gets this annoying display requiring an OK confirmation to clear. In our case, it is every 20 seconds - making watching these channels just way too painful an operation. I'm sure there should be a /noconfirm sent on the broadcast signal of this information. Whatever SBS, TVS, TEN and ATN are using works just fine. These guys at ABC and TCN need to get their act together properly. As far as I can tell (and I've searched the menus and manual) this model has no way of overriding the message - perhaps a manufacturer oversight.

Have you tried resetting the box to defaults and doing a scan for channels? Its not an issue with the transmission merely how your receiver is reacting to changes in that transmission. There is no message that the broadcasters can send to your receiver to tell it to not show the message.