Joining Two Antenna

Can I mix two different orientation antenna? (Vertical and horizontal) We are within spiting distance of the Tewantin repeater that is Vertical and get most of our signal from somewhere south ( Dulong or Bald Knob) but that breaks up a bit - would the signals reinforce or interfere with one another?

Can I mix two different orientation antenna? (Vertical and horizontal) We are within spiting distance of the Tewantin repeater that is Vertical and get most of our signal from somewhere south ( Dulong or Bald Knob) but that breaks up a bit - would the signals reinforce or interfere with one another?

Possibly.....

It depends on what channels are transmitted at the two sites (both analogue and digital) if they have sufficient channel separation and the signal strength of signals from the two locations, arriving at your antennas.

Depending on how the channels 'mix' and if amplification is required for one of the transmission sites, it can vary from a simple process to a very complex one.

Guest stump_1100

It would depend on the distance from antenna to transmitter and therefore the time it takes for each signal to hit your receive antenna, at a guess I reckon your Decoder (set top box) may struggle to lock unless the timing was within a certain tolerance. too far apart and you may create your own "mush" zone and get nothing. That is one of the reasons for the difference in polarisation in the SFN.

Sorry to hijack this thread...but anyone know why I can reply to this post but I can't start a new thread? I get this error when I try to start a new thread:

Sorry, you do not have permission to start a topic in this forum

Sorry to hijack this thread...but anyone know why I can reply to this post but I can't start a new thread? I get this error when I try to start a new thread:

You have to have 10 posts to start new topic.

Go to the red text at the end of forum and do 10 blaa blaa blaa posts.

You have to have 10 posts to start new topic.

Go to the red text at the end of forum and do 10 blaa blaa blaa posts.

Actually, it's even better.... only 5 posts needed to start a new topic and/or use the PM feature.

See below in my sig how to increase your post count.

Actually, it's even better.... only 5 posts needed to start a new topic and/or use the PM feature.

See below in my sig how to increase your post count.

woops sorry

Been a long time since I rock and Rolled

been a long time ,been a long time been along ......

Edited by bellotv

• 3 weeks later...

I just linked 2 phased array antennas about 2 days ago.

one vertical and 1 horizontaly. I used the same antennas from j car, a splitter (just reversed the ins and outs) same length cable to the splitter and I run a booster.

The reason for this is I live about 10kms from the qld border and was receiving nsw programs, and thought maby Im missing out on all the cool QLD stuff.

It sort of works. I now get about 12 SBS channels and a few new 10 channels and a few more ABC, a very poor quality and stregnth prime and thats it. no new chanel 9.

Im actually lurking for where the far south QLD tower is so I can at least orientate the vert antenna in its direction.

PS both antennas are on the same mast stacked on top of each other about 5cm apart.