Cheap Pvr Or Stb With External Video In ?

A good friend has his mother set up with select tv (for greek tv stations) and multi unit that plays dvds and records the select tv onto vhs cassettes. Her vhs part of the unit is playing up.... She doesn't have a digital stb or pvr at present

I had a look at some of the HD stb units that have usb inputs, however they dont seem to have video/aux inputs as well.(eg kogan stb for $79)

However i think that some of the stb units with usb will allow you to record onto an external hdd via usb, but others only allow you to play files on an external usb drive...

I was thinking that a hd or sd stb that can record onto usb would be easy for her to learn to use, but she would also need a unit that has another video /audio input, so that she can then record the select tv..are there any STb units that do this, or is a pvr the only option ?

I suppose otherwise they could get another video player, but i haven't seen many around in recent times, i was thinking a digital stb/pvr with an extra video input would be perfect, as she is then setup for when analog stops...

(i did see this LG dvd/vhs V271 unit for $179 http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...uct/View/G4921)

I was thinking that a hd or sd stb that can record onto usb would be easy for her to learn to use, but she would also need a unit that has another video /audio input, so that she can then record the select tv..are there any STb units that do this, or is a pvr the only option ?

Your options for this are basically: a DVD recorder (most of them have analog input), a Beyonwiz DP-P2 or a Topfield TF2400. I don't think any of them would be called cheap (certainly nothing like the $79 Kogan you mentioned).

The DVD recorders typically won't allow you to copy off to a USB HDD, only to DVD. The DP-P2 can't record direct to an external HDD, but you can copy the recording from the internal HDD to an external HDD. The TF2400 can record direct to an external HDD.

Is the ability to copy to an external HDD (where the recorder has an internal HDD) important?

i recently bought an SD Strong Set Top Box for $50, which has the the ability to record via USB.

There are several STBs that can do that, some quite cheap. However, the OP also wants to record analog inputs to HDD, and external one if it's an STP with external recording capability. None of the Strong DVR-capable STBs are listed as being able to do that.

Sorry but that LG link has expired.

Unfortunately analogue inputs on a digital unit are quite rare and usually coupled with quite expensive. There isn't a cheap option here.

I would suggest it might be time to bite the digital bullet and get a unit that costs a bit more but would see her on into the next decade.

Buy the sounds of it an integrated SD digital DVD Recorder might be the go. You could buy second hand or new ($250-$500). The advantage is she can set timers and record everything to the DVDR harddrive. Then if she wants she can transfer content to a DVD. These units also have analogue input so she could record select TV. As a start have a look at the Panasonic digital DVDR range.

Regards

Peter Gilllespie

Unfortunately analogue inputs on a digital unit are quite rare and usually coupled with quite expensive. There isn't a cheap option here.

There are a few options in the low cost category that would suit. The Probox is a HD stb/pvr with usb recording and analogue input (composite and component in). Theres also the Compro units and a few other brands that are affordable.

thanks for the suggestions guys.

It looks like it will be about $200 for a dvd/vhs recorder that she can use to record some of he selecttv shows, or about $200 for a cheap pvr that allows an external hard drive to plug in and record via external video inputs, and then as a bonus, the tvix and the probox also have hd digital tv tuners built in.

i will pass on a link to this thread to her son.

btw, with the dvico-tvix-pvr-r-2230

http://www.shopbot.com.au/pp-dvico-tvix-pv...70-3522052.html

and the probox http://pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=...oducts_id=11590

is either one much easier to use for an elderly person ?

Edited by larry