No Sound On Channel 90

Hi folks

In our house there are three HDTVs one is a Sony 55" OLCOS, next is a LG 50" plasma, and last is a LG 46" LCD.

all three have digital reception through the same antenna system and all pictures are great.

Recently the LG Plasma (LG50BD4-AA) suddenly has no sound on digital channel 90 only, all other channels ok.

the other two TVs are still working fine with both picture and sound on all channels.

Can anyone throw any light why one TV would suddenly stop producing the sound on only one HD channel,

when all other channels are working well.

I tried a factory reset on the LG but the problem still exists.

could this be a firmware problem where the channel sends some new audio coding the TV does not recognise ?

hoping for a helpful answer

Regards

Hi folks

In our house there are three HDTVs one is a Sony 55" OLCOS, next is a LG 50" plasma, and last is a LG 46" LCD.

all three have digital reception through the same antenna system and all pictures are great.

Recently the LG Plasma (LG50BD4-AA) suddenly has no sound on digital channel 90 only, all other channels ok.

the other two TVs are still working fine with both picture and sound on all channels.

Can anyone throw any light why one TV would suddenly stop producing the sound on only one HD channel,

when all other channels are working well.

I tried a factory reset on the LG but the problem still exists.

could this be a firmware problem where the channel sends some new audio coding the TV does not recognise ?

hoping for a helpful answer

Regards

Sounds like a tv problem... is there a sound settings button on the LG ie is it a DTS/PCM type problem... some TV's have a button that toggles the sound type and if it's pressed on a specific channel it only affects that channel..

When you did a factory reset and rescan did you power off after the factory reset??

Sometimes with some of these panels if you reset and recan without a power off they keep a bunch of settings still stored.

Sounds like a tv problem... is there a sound settings button on the LG ie is it a DTS/PCM type problem... some TV's have a button that toggles the sound type and if it's pressed on a specific channel it only affects that channel..

When you did a factory reset and rescan did you power off after the factory reset??

Sometimes with some of these panels if you reset and rescan without a power off they keep a bunch of settings still stored.

Thank you for your suggestions beeblebrox, however there are no settings for sound at all on this model.

in the setup menu you can turn the speakers on/off, or change the sound to music, sport or standard, thats about it.

Most other HD channels show the Dolby digital emblem when you switch to them but not ch 90.

as for the factory reset I will try again tonight.

then disconect the unit from the power overnight, and do a clean installation of all settings tomorrow.

I'm still hoping for more suggestions from other interested persons.

Regards

Sometimes with some of these panels if you reset and recan without a power off they keep a bunch of settings still stored.

Ok I did a factory reset at midnight last night then removed the power to the set and left it without power till 10AM today.

After the station rescan and other minor settings (low power mode and blocking radio channels),

did a test of all channels and still no sound on channel 90 only.

The problem must be caused by the station sending some audio codec the TV cant recognise.

Wondering if any one else in the Melbourne area is suffering the same symptoms.

Regards

Ok I did a factory reset at midnight last night then removed the power to the set and left it without power till 10AM today.

After the station rescan and other minor settings (low power mode and blocking radio channels),

did a test of all channels and still no sound on channel 90 only.

The problem must be caused by the station sending some audio codec the TV cant recognise.

Wondering if any one else in the Melbourne area is suffering the same symptoms.

Regards

My MT Dandenong Signals have 90 okay here on TV and my Toppy too.

Ok I now know what the problem is.

After contacting LG support on their 1800 number and explaining the problem to them.

They have booked a free home service to update the software in my TV.

The tech has rung and will attend on wednesday, he expects the update to take about 20 mins.

Seeing this TV will be 2 years old in a few weeks time, LG are being very helpfull by saying this is a warranty service.

Evidently they have had quite a few phone calls about this from other LG HDTV owners.

If anyone else has this problem, call 1800 643 156 press 1 for TVs and have your Model number and Serial number ready.

They will organise a service person to come to your home and update the software.

My HDTV is LG 50PB4D-AA and software is version 3.20.02 but there are others affected as well.

Regards

Edited by bernievink

Ok I now know what the problem is.

After contacting LG support on their 1800 number and explaining the problem to them.

The tech has rung and will attend on wednesday, he expects the update to take about 20 mins.

Seeing this TV will be 2 years old in a few weeks time, LG are being very helpfull by saying this is a warranty service.

Bernie

Just a quick thank you for your full and very helpful post. I've had that issue with an LG 42 inch LCD made in October 2007. I thought it was a tuning issue, but that wasn't it.

I'll just add the suggestion to call that number during business hours!

Thanks again

Rob

They have organised a service person to come to my home and update the software.

My HDTV is LG 50PB4D-AA and software is version 3.20.02 but there are other models affected as well.

Regards

Ok the tech has been, the upgrade required him to insert a usb drive in the usb socket on the left side of the TV.

After pressing some buttons on the remote the TV discovered the files on the drive,

he chose the right file for my TV "50PB4D-AA software version 3.28 and the TV loaded the software,

did a factory reset and we had to rescan the channels.

Now all is well again with the sound on channel 90

and all other channels are ok too.

Regards

Had same problem with my 2.7 years old LCD LG 47 " TV..........

Chief Engineer from CH 9 Melbourne was nice enough to contact me and said they had added an extra PID for a forthcoming extra TV Channel and some sets did not like it ( Mind you did not see it on a retune)... And in this case LG sent service agent fixed for me under warranty

I am a happy chappy

Edited by tvantdoc

• 3 months later...

I have had this problem also with my nearly 3yo 42 inch LG. No sound on 73HD or 90HD. You can fix the problem yourself with a simple software upgrade that can be downloaded from

http://www.lg.com/au/support/faqs/support-faq.jsp

Just click on the appropriate link, download & follow instructions. Took me about 10 mins to download to a USB & complete the upgrade. All channels are now perfect. :D

Hope this helps