Best 40" Lcd Screen

OK Guys,

Once again asking the community for your help - what is the best 42" LCD screen......... Budget is $1300 or so.

Kulfi, Owen and others... can you please help me out.

Thanks in advance guys!!!!

Edited by cbforensics

You'll need to check if some store can give you a receipt for the TV dated June 30 2010. If the answer is yes, then the LED-backlit Samsung 40" C5000 for $1300 is the best bet and you can score a free BD home theatre by redemption.

Hi,

thought I might share since I have just bought myself a 40" LCD screen. I bought a Samsung UA40C5000 for $1200 on Wednesday (30 June) just in time for the promo. I will not be picking up the TV until the 13th since my new place is not ready until about the 10th. I just think it's a pretty sweet deal for such a thin TV. Minus the $350-odd I can get for the HT system in eBay, the TV really works out for less than $900!

I think the price is pretty good, but I need to disclose that I did buy a lot of other electronic goods and whitegoods in the purchase - so not sure if they can di the same price on a stand alone purchase.

About the pic quality, I can't comment as I have not collected the TV yet. The purchase is motivated by the look of the TV moreso than quality, I have pretty much accepted that it would not produce anywhere as good of a pic as my Pioneer plasma.

Good luck!

I cant think of any 40” LCD's that I could recommend, they are all ordinary.

42” LCD are not available from the major brands and are out of the question if quality is important.

You can buy a nice 50” Plasma for about $1300, who wouldn't you?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking for similar advice. My budget is $1500 maximum. I've narrowed it down to the following 40" LCDs:

Sony KDL-40EX600

http://www.sony.com.au/product/kdl-40ex600

Samsung UA40C5000

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-audi...&returnurl=

Both can be had for around the same price. Both have almost identical features (as far as I could tell) except the Sony has Teletext and Ethernet and the Samsung doesn't. Sony also uses less power/better power rating.

So apart from those minor features, aesthetic value and picture quality comparison, which I will look at in-store, is there any GOOD reason to choose one over the other? Would I be better of saving some money and sticking to a CCFL LCD? Can users please share their personal experiences with either/both of these TVs?

Useful information:

* I do not watch sport or play games

* I watch Austar SD

* I occasionally watch FTA SD/HD channels

* I don't currently have Blu-Ray but will upgrade in the future

* I have a media centre PC hooked up to my current 720p LCD with HDMI. I watch SD and HD video as well as DVDs on it.

* I have a surround sound HT system so I am not concerned about the sound quality of the actual TV, speaker configuration, etc.

* The size of the TV is not an issue. It will not be wall mounted.

I am tending toward the Sony at the moment. Any reason(s) why I shouldn't go with it?

Edited by modtang

There's also the Sharp 40" LED-backlit TV to consider. Ticketed in JB below $1500 these days (less after negotiations).

I've checked that one out too. For the price it's good value but I've read a lot of reviews online that don't put it in a good light. Do you have one? I'd be interested in your thoughts on it if you do.

I've checked that one out too. For the price it's good value but I've read a lot of reviews online that don't put it in a good light. Do you have one? I'd be interested in your thoughts on it if you do.

G'day.

I am in the same situation....looking for a 40" LCD.

But what about a Kogan like this?

Kogan 40" Full HD

Apparently a Samsung panel...

(No affiliation with Kogan - just doing the research ATM.)

Some people swear by them, some would not buy again (like most brands I guess..)...but after a fair bit of research - here and elsewhere, most agree value for money Televisions..but major disadvantage is unable to try/buy.

Appreciate any constructive feedback..

Cheers

L.

About Kogan, do you mean "Swear by them" or "Swear at them" ? Read the fine print - it says delivery after Aug 9 2010 and no one has really seen that TV. Even after looking at it, the picture quality is worse than most of the major brands and the price is not that much lower. Not recommended at all.

Modtang,

Sorry but I don't own the Sharp 40"LED. I've seen it in stores and it looks quite good to me. It isn't as slim as the Samsung because it doesn't use LEDs on the edges, so it's literally LED-backlit, which is a feature that some users on DTV Forum liked.

About Kogan, do you mean "Swear by them" or "Swear at them" ? Read the fine print - it says delivery after Aug 9 2010 and no one has really seen that TV. Even after looking at it, the picture quality is worse than most of the major brands and the price is not that much lower. Not recommended at all.

Modtang,

Sorry but I don't own the Sharp 40"LED. I've seen it in stores and it looks quite good to me. It isn't as slim as the Samsung because it doesn't use LEDs on the edges, so it's literally LED-backlit, which is a feature that some users on DTV Forum liked.

Thanks for the feedback Kulfi.

I will keep looking. The Samsung looks OK - but for more $$$.

Cheers

Laurie.

I just got the Samsung LA40B750 (40" series 7 lcd) for $1300 delivered... (+3% for using a CC)

Nice set - playing with the settings atm - find if you sit close, the blacks go a bit grey on the edges (they are fine from a distance, so probably just not supposed to sit at <1.5m :)

That was from a Samsung clearance house http://www.beechang.com.au/ (their website isn't updated with price and stock changes very often - best to email and ask...Tell Sean Jen sent you :) )

Jen

(no, I have nothing to do with the site except as a satisfied customer - and telling Sean I sent you wont get me or you any discounts, but its more fun that way!)

Edited by jenx