Possible To Make Ps3 Region Free?

If this topic is dealt with somewhere else in the forum I would appreciate if someone could please point me in the right direction - I have searched, but had not much luck.

I have a UK PS3 that has been brought back to Oz. Problem now is that I have a number of Oz region DVDs that won't play because the blu-ray is region locked to the UK. Is there any way that this can be broken? I'm currently at work and can't remember off the top of my head which firmware version I have. It is probably at least 12 months old now, if that makes any difference.

Help is much appreciated!

Hahahaha I just found this -

Hi... Not sure if this is a fluke or what, but I bought Mr Magoriums Wonder emporium on Blu Ray... turns out it's a region A... I have managed to get this to play in my PS3 by sheer persistence... it still brings up the "this disk will not play as it is not suited to the region... blah blah blah... etc etc etc"

By pushing R1 and the X button over and over again it skips past the "WARNING" screen straight to the Menu of Mr Magoriums wonder emporium... I'm watching it right now with my niece.

I've done this twice now... the first time I thought I was being a smarty pants by changing the region country... turns out that didn't make a difference either way... It's set to Australia at the moment, last time I got it to play it was set for Thailand (which is a region A country)

Hahahaha I just found this -

Hi... Not sure if this is a fluke or what, but I bought Mr Magoriums Wonder emporium on Blu Ray... turns out it's a region A... I have managed to get this to play in my PS3 by sheer persistence... it still brings up the "this disk will not play as it is not suited to the region... blah blah blah... etc etc etc"

By pushing R1 and the X button over and over again it skips past the "WARNING" screen straight to the Menu of Mr Magoriums wonder emporium... I'm watching it right now with my niece.

I've done this twice now... the first time I thought I was being a smarty pants by changing the region country... turns out that didn't make a difference either way... It's set to Australia at the moment, last time I got it to play it was set for Thailand (which is a region A country)

I thought that work around was removed?

Thanks for the help, however it doesn't seem to work for me. Any other suggestions?

I know this might sound painful, but you could rip your dvd's to your pc hdd and then play the mpeg file back on your PS3 via dlna no problems. Alternatively copy the dvd to a new disc and remove it's region coding during the copy using a number of freeware options.

I've ripped all my daughter's dvd's to my pc's hdd and they (the original dvd's) then sit in the cupboard and don't get scratched also.

The other option I reckon is to buy a cheap region free dvd player :)

• 2 weeks later...