Was I Sold A Used Instead Of A New Sony Tv?

Hello. I'm hoping owners of Sony Bravias would be able to help me with my issue. I brought a Sony Bravia from a store recently. Although it was supposed to be a new one, they accidently gave my me a used one. They admitted that they had given us a return item but didn't know that it was one at the time. I accepted it as a mistake and got an exchange for what was supposed to be a new TV. Unfortunately, upon opening the replacement one, I again have my suspicions that this too is not brand new. But they claim that the second one is new. I want to get some input from Sony Bravia owners to try and determine if they are telling the truth and that I'm too critical of the product or if it may indeed be used.

• When opening up the box a large bag was wrapped around the TV panel. A side was left exposed as the bag wasn't long enough to wrap entirely around it. I thought it strange that the panel wasn't placed inside the bag instead. Has anyone had their new TV packaged this way?
  • There were micro scratches on the front of the panel frame like someone had used the wrong type of cloth to wipe it with. Due to the shiny nature of the TV, is it normal to find it this way? The based was covered with a clingy plastic so there wasn't a single scratch or mark on it unlike the panel.
  • There is an area on the back of the panel which has smear marks on it. I also found a couple of scratch marks on the back.
  • When I turned the TV on a channel came on immediately. When I looked at the manual, it said we should have gotten a language/channel prompt.

What do you think?

When I set up my 2010 Bravia for the first time, it did ask for language and then channel set up from memory.

Looking closely at the black bevel edge there are microscratches - can't see unless you are really looking for it and have to get the right reflection of light.

I would be concerned that somebody had claimed the PS3 using the TV's serial number.

There should be protective like film around the outside edge of the case.

If you do the following with the remote it should indicate how long the tv has been used for

Disp (I+)

Vol -

Power

In the bottom left is a series of numbers, the first group are the number of hours, second string is the boot count and lastly the final group is the panel hours.

Simple answer to your question is yes. The first giveaway is that the tv wasn't placed inside the bag. If it was placed over it, it's been opened. The fact that the tv had already been tuned in is a dead giveaway. If I paid for a "new" tv, then that's what I would expect.

Andys.

The fact a box might have been opened and the TV examined doesn't mean its no longer "new". All those "new" cars in the showroom have generally been driven around a small bunch of kilometres before you get your hands on them. Taken for test drives around town by others even.

Its unfortunate the first box delivered was not knew and I agree you've got every right to be dubious about any claims about this TV as a result. I'd check the hours as someone tipped above and let that be the decider.

On a practical note, micro scratches and a smear doesn't really qualify you for a return simply because you've already taken the box out and set it up. Technically you should make who ever delivered it wait while you unpack it and make a full inspection. Course no one really does that :)

IMO they've readily noted its not new on the first set and organised a replacement. I'd say if this one also wasn't they'd likely agree and sort it out again?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Thanks for your input everyone. Unfortunately I've packed the TV away and it's sitting in the corner of the room so I can't check how many hrs it's been used for. It would have been interesting to check the stats on TV 1 and TV 2 though.

pgdownload, I can't say I can relate to your analogy about cars. When we brought a new car, the showroom cars were just that - for show. Our car was delivered brand spankin new off a truck from wherever they make or store them. The reason I doubt their word about TV 2 is because their systems in place seem questionable. I quizzed the salesagent of how we ended up with a used TV 1 when a new one was orderd. I asked shouldn't they have it on their database somewhere that tells them if a product is a return, used or whatever. He told me that they didn't. When they had TV 1 transferred from their other store they had requested a new TV. So their initial belief that it was new was based on the word of someone at the other store. TV 2 was transferred from yet another one of their stores. Their statement that it's new is again based on what they've been told by the other store.

I contacted the store and told them why I didn't think TV 2 was new either. I'm now waiting for TV 3 which has the manager's guarantee that it's factory sealed and which will be opened instore. I've reserved my right to either take it or get a full refund. A sweetner for all the trouble may help me make my decision though :P

I contacted the store and told them why I didn't think TV 2 was new either. I'm now waiting for TV 3 which has the manager's guarantee that it's factory sealed and which will be opened instore. I've reserved my right to either take it or get a full refund. A sweetner for all the trouble may help me make my decision though :P

Seems the store you're dealing with was just as much a 'victim' as you were. They've been surprisingly responsive in resolving the issue IMO. Good to hear you're probably sorted, just a pity there was so much mucking around.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS I agree the car analogy was flawed as you suggested :).

The fact a box might have been opened and the TV examined doesn't mean its no longer "new". All those "new" cars in the showroom have generally been driven around a small bunch of kilometres before you get your hands on them. Taken for test drives around town by others even.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Fail to see how you can compare a TV to a car. A car needs that expensive carwash prior to delivering to the customer. I don't want my new TV to have a new wash.

Seriously, why would a retailer take the TV out of the box prior to selling it to a customer? To check that everytning works fine? I fail to see the logic of your point here.

I quizzed the salesagent of how we ended up with a used TV 1 when a new one was orderd. I asked shouldn't they have it on their database somewhere that tells them if a product is a return, used or whatever. He told me that they didn't. When they had TV 1 transferred from their other store they had requested a new TV. So their initial belief that it was new was based on the word of someone at the other store. TV 2 was transferred from yet another one of their stores. Their statement that it's new is again based on what they've been told by the other store.

Check that the taping material is new, ie not taped over with new tapes. Always an obviuos tell-tale sign that the box has been opened.

Seriously, why would a retailer take the TV out of the box prior to selling it to a customer? To check that everytning works fine? I fail to see the logic of your point here.

Pgdownload has already said the analogy was flawed, so there's no need to push that point any further.