Signal Deterioation

Over the past couple of months the reception on ch's 7, 9 and to a lesser extent ch 2 have deterioated to the point ch 7 & 9 are non existant. Ch 10 and SBS still good. We are in headland park (east side Buderim) and pointed at Dulong. Our neighbours on either side have same problems. Anybody know of anything that has affected the transmission path?

Thanks PJONNO

Guest stump_1100
Over the past couple of months the reception on ch's 7, 9 and to a lesser extent ch 2 have deterioated to the point ch 7 & 9 are non existant. Ch 10 and SBS still good. We are in headland park (east side Buderim) and pointed at Dulong. Our neighbours on either side have same problems. Anybody know of anything that has affected the transmission path?

Thanks PJONNO

Interesting but I can tell you that as far as WIN transmission from Dulong goes, there hasn't been any changes at all. Are you referring to ATV or DTV reception? Have you tried getting your signal from Bald Knob to see if that makes any difference?

Interesting but I can tell you that as far as WIN transmission from Dulong goes, there hasn't been any changes at all. Are you referring to ATV or DTV reception? Have you tried getting your signal from Bald Knob to see if that makes any difference?

Thanks Stump

I am on the N/E side of Buderim (big lump in middle). This is DTV I have to switch to ATV to get local news. The fact that it is more than 1 channel suggests that something has changed in the transmission path.

JohnO,

I suggest you read the firs post in "Get the best reception" post for the Sunshine Coast forum. Then I suggest you contact an antenna installer who has a digital field strength meter.

AlanH

Thanks alanhquote]

Hi johno I'm in coolum - I am wondering if u gave had any luck with ur reception? I have had the same prob good reception but over the last it has deteriorated to the point that abc and 9 are now non existant and the other channels are constantly skipping so I can't watch tv. Just don't know if it just time to call the antanba guy or if u were able to fix this?

I'm in Palmwoods and today pointed my antenna at Bald Knob in an effort to receive the Brisbane DTV services being broadcast from there, to no avail unfortunately. Signal quality on the channels dropped too. I should have line of sight but for a few trees and I an equidistant from Bald Knob and Dulong (about 9.8kms).

As far as my research tells me all the DTV channels from both locations are the same but Dulong does not include the metro services. Can anyone help?

On another point. WIN TV commercial playout seems to be way less quality than normal programming - to the point where you can't read any fine print on the screen during ad breaks and promos. What's going on there? Bad compression and low capacity storage facilities? Will this improve when the playout facility moves to Ingleburn? Or does WIN insert it's ads locally (ie Rockhampton for us I would assume).

I'm in Palmwoods and today pointed my antenna at Bald Knob in an effort to receive the Brisbane DTV services being broadcast from there, to no avail unfortunately. Signal quality on the channels dropped too. I should have line of sight but for a few trees and I an equidistant from Bald Knob and Dulong (about 9.8kms).

As far as my research tells me all the DTV channels from both locations are the same but Dulong does not include the metro services. Can anyone help?

Hi Kja03

Palmwoods is outside the Brisbane service area and in fact there is a null in the pattern from the Brisbane commercial services in your direction to ensure they do not bleed into the regional licence area. Some fortuitous signal may be arriving there as it is almost line of sight to Bald Knob but you may have to make a significant effort to get the signal.

Yes you are correct that the Brisbane (Metro) channels are not at Dulong.

James

WIN TV commercial playout seems to be way less quality than normal programming - to the point where you can't read any fine print on the screen during ad breaks and promos.

If its anything like what is seen on WIN here [Mackay QLD] there is heaps or dot crawl too. Who knows where it originates - analogue tape sources, composite paths during import, analogue cart machines (not even WIN could be doing that, surely).

Edited by DrP

Hi Kja03

Palmwoods is outside the Brisbane service area and in fact there is a null in the pattern from the Brisbane commercial services in your direction to ensure they do not bleed into the regional licence area. Some fortuitous signal may be arriving there as it is almost line of sight to Bald Knob but you may have to make a significant effort to get the signal.

Thanks mate - I am right in saying that the Metro stations have Digital translator services on Bald Knob though right? In the channel list I got from this forum there are specific channels for those services. When I point to Bald knob I get the normal Sunshine Coast services but not the Metro stations listed as coming off that hill.

Kieron :)

Thanks mate - I am right in saying that the Metro stations have Digital translator services on Bald Knob though right? In the channel list I got from this forum there are specific channels for those services. When I point to Bald knob I get the normal Sunshine Coast services but not the Metro stations listed as coming off that hill.

Kieron :)

Hi Kieron

Yes Bald Knob has Seven on channel 53, Nine on channel 59 and Ten on channel 56.

James

• 2 weeks later...

We are at Tinbeerwah (Sunrise Hills) on the coast side of the ridge with clear line of site to almost Brisbane ( not quite but you get the drift) Used to get perfect signal of all Brisbane channels and Local ( with analogue) We rented the house for 9 years and the tenants put in satellite and the antenna was neglected - on moving back before Christmas I cleaned up all connections - check the mast head amp and got a good digital signal and slightly hazy analogue. As mentioned in this thread, lately we have been getting bad pixilation and loss of signal - to the point having to revert to analogue to continue watching the program.

Here is a pic of our antennae http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/Wombat2/092.jpg

Directly behind me over my left shoulder taking this picture - less than a kilometre away on the next ridge - is the Tewantin repeater tower - it is vertically aligned however. Would I be better off turning my antennae around and changing orientation and taking my signal from there ( 9 years ago it was only ABC - now there is a newer bigger tower bristling with all manner of antennae)

Would I be better off turning my antennae around and changing orientation and taking my signal from there

It's worth a try, if you are up to it.*

Your top antenna is a Hills Hunter phased array, and it is relatively easy to re-orient these to vertical.

I note from the photograph you have what appears to be a diplexer and masthead amplifier on the mast as well.

These may/will need to be bypassed so that just UHF signals from the top antenna pass into your equipment.

(It could also be the presence of the masthead amplifier is causing your problems with your set-up at the moment owing to signals from Tewantin corrupting those you are trying to receive from far away.)

*If it looks too complicated or dangerous, engage the services of a competent person to assist.

Edited by M'bozo

It's worth a try, if you are up to it.*

Your top antenna is a Hills Hunter phased array, and it is relatively easy to re-orient these to vertical.

I note from the photograph you have what appears to be a diplexer and masthead amplifier on thye mast as well.

These may/will need to be bypassed so that just UHF signals from the top antenna pass into your equipment.

(It could also be the presence of the masthead amplifier is causing your problems with your set-up at the moment owing to signals from Tewantin corrupting those you are trying to receive from far away.)

*If it looks too complicated or dangerous, engage the services of a competent person to assist.

No dramas about messing with things - electronics is one of my many hobbies - is the bottom antenna a band 5? Or do I need to up date it? years ago when we first moved in we were having trouble with the repeater tower interfering with the signal - that is why the service guy put this lot in - and the mast head amp to boost the signal to over ride the local signal - but that was analogue

is the bottom antenna a band 5? .... years ago when we first moved in we were having trouble with the repeater tower interfering with the signal - that is why the service guy put this lot in - and the mast head amp to boost the signal to over ride the local signal - but that was analogue

Your top antenna is band 4/5 (UHF), the bottom antenna is band 3 (VHF).

Your local translator is all UHF, so the top antenna should be adequate, and your bottom antenna is not required.

Try re-orienting your top antenna vertically and point to the local translator first, to see what happens. Put the masthead amplifier on its lowest UHF gain setting.

Re-tune your TV's and see what happens.

If no success, check connections, then bypass the masthead amplifier & remove the power supply and see how you go.

Hi Wombat 2

Not to contradict what M'bozo is saying at all because it's good, I'd just like to add that if getting Brisbane programming is important to you it would be necessary to find a solution to your existing arrangement and keep pointing towards Brisbane, otherwise go with M'bozo.

James

No dramas about messing with things - electronics is one of my many hobbies - is the bottom antenna a band 5? Or do I need to up date it? years ago when we first moved in we were having trouble with the repeater tower interfering with the signal - that is why the service guy put this lot in - and the mast head amp to boost the signal to over ride the local signal - but that was analogue

My first post – thought I would put my 2 cents worth in. My comment is that there are translators at Bald Knob for 7, 9 and 10 from Brisbane. This would be the best transmission site to aim for, especially if you are used to Brisbane programming and don’t want the local 6 – 7.30 programming etc. I think they are ½ the power of the locals but should be receivable with your UHF antenna with amp.

Another point is that during the past week or so I have noticed from Brisbane some atmospheric effects on signal propagation form the Sunny Coast.

My first post – thought I would put my 2 cents worth in. My comment is that there are translators at Bald Knob for 7, 9 and 10 from Brisbane. This would be the best transmission site to aim for, especially if you are used to Brisbane programming and don’t want the local 6 – 7.30 programming etc. I think they are ½ the power of the locals but should be receivable with your UHF antenna with amp.

Another point is that during the past week or so I have noticed from Brisbane some atmospheric effects on signal propagation form the Sunny Coast.

Hello DX Fan

Welcome to the forum.

Unsure if you are aware that the Bald Knob digital transmitters with Brisbane programme on channels 53, 56 and 59 transmit predominantly to the south and the signal struggles to get much further than Maroochydore because of a deliberate null in the antenna pattern and most likely nothing is receivable by Coolum. This could be the reason why Wombat2 was looking directly at Brisbane's Mt Coot-tha.

Now the name "DX Fan" name hasn't escaped my attention, what have you found, any TV DXing?

James

Hello DX Fan

Welcome to the forum.

Unsure if you are aware that the Bald Knob digital transmitters with Brisbane programme on channels 53, 56 and 59 transmit predominantly to the south and the signal struggles to get much further than Maroochydore because of a deliberate null in the antenna pattern and most likely nothing is receivable by Coolum. This could be the reason why Wombat2 was looking directly at Brisbane's Mt Coot-tha.

Now the name "DX Fan" name hasn't escaped my attention, what have you found, any TV DXing?

James

Thanks James

I didn’t know about the signal pattern of the Brisbane repeaters – my bad.

I suggested this because I was wondering how reliable it is these days to get digital 7 (ch6) and 9 (ch 8) from Mt Cootha. During tropospheric openings (is this the right term?) ch 6 and 8 from Lismore might degrade the signal. I remember holidaying there before digital – the apartment complex had a south facing band 1-3 antenna and there was often a very clear signal on 6 and 8. I suppose that Wide Bay 6 and 8 (even though vertical) might interfere as well. So on some days, no matter how good an antenna system, 7 and 9 will not be watchable on digital, though the analogue would be fine. This is all guesswork as I have no local knowledge.

James – my only recent TV dx experience is restricted to receiving out of service area transmissions. I have settled for getting the Sunshine Coast stations from Brisbane using a phased array. In the past I have “dabbled” but everything was pretty amateurish. I have been more interested in radio dx though. Just a thought- Wombat 2 could use the band 3 for digital radio from Brisbane – it might work even though it is horizontal.

Wombat 2 could use the band 3 for digital radio from Brisbane - it might work even though it is horizontal.

An example of this (in the wrong direction, and at almost 100 Kilometres from the Tx!) :mellow: : (Between Mt. Dandenong Tx site (Melbourne) and Wonthaggi, Vic.)

Hi All, I spoke to Winscot & he told me to simply connect it to my existing Band 3 Melbourne VHF Aerial & it should be fine. It comes in on Ch 9A

Have tried it & got 40 Channels & all working well.

Rgds

Tim

Edited by ChaosMaster

I have ordered a new Hills Band 5 antenna. In preparation yesterday I disconnected the VHF antenna and left the UHF phased array connected. Last night we had all the local Sunshine coast channels but no analogue - some Brisbane but they had lost their aspect ratio and were square boxes in the middle of the screen and stretched vertically - weird! - no pixelation at all all night though.

Edited by Wombat2

I have ordered a new Hills Band 5 antenna. In preparation yesterday I disconnected the VHF antenna and left the UHF phased array connected. Last night we had all the local Sunshine coast channels but no analogue - some Brisbane but they had lost their aspect ratio and were square boxes in the middle of the screen and stretched vertically - weird! - no pixelation at all all night though.

Which Brisbane channels and which frequency? My guess is that these are the analogue Brisbane channel relays for the southern part of the Sunshine Coast which are channels 37 (9), 52 (7) and 57 (10). The analogue channels can have this "letterbox" appearance.

As James T Kirk has posted above, the Brisbane digital channel relays for that area are 53 (7), 56 (10)and 59 (9). Try tuning these either individually or as a total rescan, but as mentioned by James these have a lower power and directed away from you. If you are receiving the analogue versions, that is a good sign as long as your replacement antenna is at least as good and mounted as high as the current one.