Amplifier Choice

Hi, I'm a long time reader but have few posts. I hope someone can help me with a problem I have getting a Digital Terr signal to my new home. I live on a rural property in C.Qld and have a very good signal in the family home via a UHF 02MM-DG91 (vertical polarity) antenna & a MW40 masthead amp. This supplies 4 TVs via a splitter and works well. My new home is 400 mtrs further from the transmitter and approx 50mtrs lower in a valley. Hence no Terr TV at all, I do have Aurora sat but no HD and whats worse no local news. After a lot of reading I have installed a 02MM-EE06 (Horizontal polarity) pointing in the opposite direction downward & towards the new house.I have connected the 2 antennas passively above the masthead amp, this has not affected the feed to the 4 TVs in the old house but has not noticeably improved the TV reception in the new one. My question is, can I use a powered amplifier between the antennas? ie http://www.matchmaster.com.au/_product_37026/14MM-TA242 or http://www.gme.net.au/products/matv/matv-d...-amplifier/DW32. Vast I'm told will not be available in this area until late 2013 and I'd like to get more use out of the new 50".

Passive won't work, as your path loss is too high, amongst other things.

Active reflection, such as you are considering, requires ACMA authorisation.

Why can't you run a cable to the new house?

Thanks for the reply M'bozo, I can't run a cable for several reasons.

(1) There is a Ergon power line between the houses and they have an access easment which prohibits any wires on poles.

(2) Most of the land around here has thin cover of soil over rock, the cost of trenching would be horrific.

(3) If I trenched I would need to build a bridge accross a small steep gully.

(4) Vast is coming in 3 years.

How do I get ACMA authorisation?

Sorry, don't know.

Never done it, just know it's a requirement.

(well it was last time I enquired, some years ago. Can't see that would have changed.)

I have emailed ACMA, will let you know what happens.

The government has stated that VAST will be available later this year for existing Aurora viewers.

VAST is widescreen and includes HD channels and local news.

Thanks mtv, I did'nt realise we could get it that soon. Does that mean all Aurora users get it if we apply. What about those that use the travel system like my folks, they used to have to apply for the 2 commercial channels by fax every year.

Thanks mtv, I did'nt realise we could get it that soon. Does that mean all Aurora users get it if we apply. What about those that use the travel system like my folks, they used to have to apply for the 2 commercial channels by fax every year.

From my understanding, Aurora users who are in official non-terrestrial coverage map areas will automatically qualify for VAST.

Others in blackspot areas within terrestrial coverage areas will need to go through the site-test documentation process to qualify for VAST.

There has been no announcement that I'm aware of about VAST being made available for travellers.

I suspect travellers will be the last to be granted access and probably not until Aurora ceases, which probably won't be untill all terrestrial analogue transmissions have been switched off.

It's still early days for VAST, as even the first decoders haven't been installed yet.