La40b650/750 Lcd New Firmware Available

I don’t recommend updating the firmware unless you know it addresses a problem you have. You cant go back to the old firmware and the new one does not allow the use of SamyGo firmware hacks to unlock useful features in the TV like aspect ratio control for the built in media player.

I will certainly not be updating the firmware on my 52B750.

I don’t recommend updating the firmware unless you know it addresses a problem you have. You cant go back to the old firmware and the new one does not allow the use of SamyGo firmware hacks to unlock useful features in the TV like aspect ratio control for the built in media player.

I will certainly not be updating the firmware on my 52B750.

Hi Owen,

Not in the slightest interested in SamyGo Hackware. The Samsung wireless DNLA adaptor (WIS09ABGN) does everything I require. Which is streaming content from a laptop.

You also do have the option of reverting to the previous version of firmware on these Samsung TV's. Maybe you should try before you comment?

I have flashed countless Motherboards, CD/DVD drives, ADSL MODEMS, Set Top Boxes, and the LA40B650 without any failures. Call me lucky, but I think the technology is a little more robust than is given credit now days.

Cheers,

Without the SamyGo hack the media player does not know how to display common video formats like 1440x1080 which are not native 16:9. The AR fix program that corrects this problem is non invasive and does not alter the TV’s firmware in a permanent way, disconnect the power and its gone without a trace.

The only content I want to play via the inbuilt media player is all 1440x1080 so without the SammyGo patch the media player is useless to me. The player so painful to use I will permanently connect a PC directly to the TV’s HDMI port for all media playback duties just like the other two TV’s in the house.

The SamyGo forum has prominent warnings about updating to the latest firmware as they say you loose the ability to go back to older firmware once you do. I have no reason to disbelieve them and it makes perfect sense if Samsung wants to stop people playing with the firmware and it seems they do as the latest firmware breaks the SammyGo tools.

Have you tried reverting to the old firmware to see if you still can?

Edited by Owen

Have you tried reverting to the old firmware to see if you still can?

It is an option when updating the firmware. The previous version is listed under the Software Upgrade tab. I clicked through to where it says do you want to revert to the previous version 2001.0. The system will be reset. OK or cancel. I chose cancel.

I have no doubt it will work, and don't generally read conspiracies into many things.

I'm happy that you like the SammyGo stuff. The vast majority of users are happy with the standard options. I'm happy with the aspect ration from my Laptop through DLNA, or an external HDD via USB. It's close enough to 16:9 for me, and I can be called pedantec at time.

I only posted the availability of later firmware for the LA40B650/750 series LCDs for information. I'm not forcing anyone to upgrade. I've done it twice now. Works for me. Others can do what they like.

I did not mean to jump on you for posting about the firmware update I just thought it wise to warn about the repercussions of fixing something that is not broken.

The question many are no doubt interested in is does the update make the TV work any better?

I have no doubt that if you try and play 1440x1080 video via the media player you will get big black bars on each side.

Via the video inputs the TV never has aspect ratio problems it’s only the media player which is deliberately brain dead. The player software has aspect ratio control programmed in but it’s disabled by default, all the SamyGo AR Fix does is enable a function that was always there, it does not create it.

The question many are no doubt interested in is does the update make the TV work any better?

The update likely addresses bug fixes, many of which probably don't affect most users, and external hardware support (HDD's and the like). Occasionally new features are added, but they usually want you to update to a newer model for that. I hope that the poor content/Internet support and options is updated. I haven't checked that as of yet. I don't recall a recent update causing any issues, but anything is possible I guess.

• 4 weeks later...