Home Theatre Setup Help

Hi,

I am having some troubles deciding which way is the best way to set up our lounge room for home theatre. Does anybody have any ideas regarding positioning of furniture. My main problem is the LH corner of the room which has the lounge up against the speakers.

I am looking at getting a av rack cabinet, and possibly mounting the tv on the wall. Any ideas?

2347074560085785482NElPZg_th.jpg

Cheers :huh:

Tom

Agree - sorta.

I'd move the couch back about 2 feet and it;s not clear if this is a 6/7.1 setup or a 5.1 setup? If the latter those speakers should be at least 2 foot from the back of the couch (you height is OK though).

BTW I would;t worry about wall mounting the screen - it about the right height - I;d put any money toward a projector or bigger flat panel.

The setup is a 6 channel setup, but also run at times as 2 channel with music. Moving the lounge back is a real option, but i can only move 1 of the side surround speakers as the other would be in the kitchen. Does anyone think it would be possible to put the tv where the lounge is and the lounge along that back wall?

I just cant work out how the speakers would work if the room was arranged that way.

If 6.1 then where they are is fine

What about if we had the lounge set up like this. I cant work out where to put the speakers, or if it is not possible for good sound. We had the lounge like this for a few weeks.Though it is proberly not possible

post-388-1276697884_thumb.jpg

Edited by rothki

What about if we had the lounge set up like this. I cant work out where to put the speakers, or if it is not possible for good sound. We had the lounge like this for a few weeks.Though it is proberly not possible

Hi Rothki, I wouldn't do that. Leave everything in place but just move the couch 90 degrees from its original position. So your photo in your 1st post has the arm of the sofa against the left front speaker. Move the couch so that same arm of the sofa is now facing the wall below the back left surround speaker. Your open end of the sofa will now be facing towards your right hand front speaker but it wont be as close as it is the shorter end of the sofa and is also open ended. Your only problem then may be accessing the lounge down the RHS beside the window but once seated it would be better. Hope you can follow this ok :P

Hi, i do understand what you mean, i have been moving things around a few times trying different ideas. Another problem i have wiht the current setup is that when i play music the bass is very very boomy, i think that it is because the speakers are in the corner. if i pull them out, then the bass isnt so bad.

is there anyway i can help to avoid this?

cheers

Tom

Hi Rothki, I wouldn't do that. Leave everything in place but just move the couch 90 degrees from its original position. So your photo in your 1st post has the arm of the sofa against the left front speaker. Move the couch so that same arm of the sofa is now facing the wall below the back left surround speaker. Your open end of the sofa will now be facing towards your right hand front speaker but it wont be as close as it is the shorter end of the sofa and is also open ended. Your only problem then may be accessing the lounge down the RHS beside the window but once seated it would be better. Hope you can follow this ok :P

i'd move the couch as tubsta suggests but i'd also move the front speakers further out

from the corners of the room to stop sound reflections from the corners

i'd normally think the wood floors would be a problem but i noticed the thick rug so

you're on the right track

I would actually turn the lounge 45 degrees ... and keep space from both ends to walk to the front .... Bring forward the speakers from the wall and the base should reduce ....

Sorry, i forgot to mention this before. The window that you can see is actully a door way, so obstructing it would be a problem :)

I am going to move the speakers out from the wall. howmuch effect does the amplifier have on the tone of the sound from the speakers? The amp is a yamaha HTR5950, which although sounds good for movies sounds terrible for 2 channel stereo :(

I am also going to look at some thick curtains to hang on that door/window. something to stop the echo in the room because it is actually pretty echoey.

I would actually turn the lounge 45 degrees ... and keep space from both ends to walk to the front .... Bring forward the speakers from the wall and the base should reduce ....
Edited by rothki