Being Charged For Main Event Watching That I Did Not Order

Today looking back thru my credit card statements online I found the last 2 months I'd been charged $92 and $87 instead of my usual $58 package. Rang foxtel and was told I'd ordered some kind of wrestling Main Event viewing in each of those months. It's just my wife and I here and neither of us are interested in wrestling and certainly neither of us called up to order those ME's as the foxtel rep suggested. The only times we've used any pay per view feature is for the odd movie and those times I have always used to the website to order. Our foxtel box is not plugged into the phone line.

After maintaining that I hadn't ordered them and that it must be a mistake I was eventually given a credit back to my account, but was told 'if it continues to happen there is not much we can do about it'.

WTF? Anyone else had this happen?

Is it possible someone has some kind of hack where they are able to charge payperview's to someone elses account? If this happens again I think I'll be canceling the subscription.

Today looking back thru my credit card statements online I found the last 2 months I'd been charged $92 and $87 instead of my usual $58 package. Rang foxtel and was told I'd ordered some kind of wrestling Main Event viewing in each of those months. It's just my wife and I here and neither of us are interested in wrestling and certainly neither of us called up to order those ME's as the foxtel rep suggested. The only times we've used any pay per view feature is for the odd movie and those times I have always used to the website to order. Our foxtel box is not plugged into the phone line.

After maintaining that I hadn't ordered them and that it must be a mistake I was eventually given a credit back to my account, but was told 'if it continues to happen there is not much we can do about it'.

WTF? Anyone else had this happen?

Is it possible someone has some kind of hack where they are able to charge payperview's to someone elses account? If this happens again I think I'll be canceling the subscription.

No, its more possible that someone shares the same phone number as you, and they are ringing up ordering the movies and putting their phone number in, you then get charged for the Main Event, while they probably call the centre back asking why it didnt work!

My suggestion, removed you phone number off your account on Foxtel (tell them your landline is disconnected and mobile is the only way to contact you). That hopefully will stop this issue.

No, its more possible that someone shares the same phone number as you, and they are ringing up ordering the movies and putting their phone number in, you then get charged for the Main Event, while they probably call the centre back asking why it didnt work!

My suggestion, removed you phone number off your account on Foxtel (tell them your landline is disconnected and mobile is the only way to contact you). That hopefully will stop this issue.

Something that might be of interest to the OP. Foxtel recently swapped over my movie package without my permission.

I didn't worry about it as I watched a lot of new movies...roll on about a month and it was swapped back. [one Sunday afternoon just as I finished watching a movie]

Sounds like a phone number mix up maybe.?

I'd suggest relaxing. Mistakes do happen. Maybe someone typed something wrong and things got mixed up. Foxtel have refunded the money (as you'd expect) and they've noted that while mistakes happen its a pretty rare circumstances. If it kept happening week after week to you then both you and Foxtel would need to look into things further.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I'd suggest relaxing. Mistakes do happen. Maybe someone typed something wrong and things got mixed up. Foxtel have refunded the money (as you'd expect) and they've noted that while mistakes happen its a pretty rare circumstances. If it kept happening week after week to you then both you and Foxtel would need to look into things further.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Well it did happen in 2 seperate months which I found a bit strange, I'd be less worried if it was just a once-off. I also get the feeling they didn't quite believe me (despite refunding the money) and also pretty much told me that if it happens again it's my fault and my bad luck. I asked that a block be put on the account so that main event cannot even be ordered but they weren't able to do that.

Well it did happen in 2 seperate months which I found a bit strange, I'd be less worried if it was just a once-off. I also get the feeling they didn't quite believe me (despite refunding the money) and also pretty much told me that if it happens again it's my fault and my bad luck. I asked that a block be put on the account so that main event cannot even be ordered but they weren't able to do that.

You can always unplug the phone line from the STB.

This will stop accidental ordering of PPV items.

Or even set a parental password so it needs to be entered before any PPV item can be purchased.

Or even set a parental password so it needs to be entered before any PPV item can be purchased.

Yes but none of that helps if the mistake is made at the Foxtel end.

These days, I'd do what the OP has done and Foxtel have refunded the error.

If it occurs again and they actually say, sorry but its on you, then its time to start getting a bit agro.

Not sure if there's an ombudsman that can be called. But again, cross that bridge when you get to the river :)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

The phone line has never been plugged into my foxtel box.

The phone line has never been plugged into my foxtel box.

If that is the case ring telstra or who ever your phone line provider is, see if you can get a list of out all of out going phone calls during the month.

If if you can get a list and the foxtel iq number isn't on there ring up foxtel and demand an explanation.

Secondly with these big companies NEVER be afraid to escalate issues, if they tell you that that it they can't resolve these problems into the future. Ask for the full name of the person you are speaking with along with their direct line number as well as an email address. Then ask for the full name of the their direct supervisor, along with supervisors direct line and email address. If the issues comes up again ring back that same person on the direct line, if you get no joy go to the supervisor (don't ring that supervisor directly ask the person you are speaking to transfer the call to them), when speaking to him/her also ask them for full details of the person that they report to. In my experience this is when things get resolved pretty quickly, it shows you aren't afraid to escalate and you have already got the details of the next person you will go to if things don't get rectified. But if you need to keep ongoing it won't take to long until you hit somebody fairly senior in the organisation.

Write down every time you speak with them, and what was said, if you need to you can then write an email detailing the hell they have put you through to the complaints department (if they have one) if not try and get an email of one of the board of directors (easier said then done, although you should be able to guess how the IT department set up email address based on the emails address you already have). Make sure you cc every person you have spoken. I have never had to go to this step myself but I wouldn't hesitate to if required.

Edited by Silent Bob

Ask for the full name of the person you are speaking with along with their direct line number

A first line support person is not going to have a direct line.

Every time they turn up for work they will be sitting at a different desk using a different phone.

If that is the case ring telstra or who ever your phone line provider is, see if you can get a list of out all of out going phone calls during the month.

If if you can get a list and the foxtel iq number isn't on there ring up foxtel and demand an explanation.

Thats pretty weak, and would never stand up anywhere. You can call the number from a mobile phone, and as long as you input the correct home phone number, you can order the event. You could be at your neighbours house, work etc. There is really NO WAY to prove you didnt order it, so the best bet is to o what I suggested and remove your home phone number off your Foxtel account. Tell them you no longer have a landline, as Main Events cannot be ordered using a mobile phone number (ie if the Mobile is the only number on the account, it will not work. Needs a landline number to work)

The OP can solve this issue quite easily if he choose to. Take the advice unless you'd rather have an arguement and waste time with Foxtel every month.

There is really NO WAY to prove you didnt order it, so the best bet is to o what I suggested and remove your home phone number off your Foxtel account. Tell them you no longer have a landline, as Main Events cannot be ordered using a mobile phone number (ie if the Mobile is the only number on the account, it will not work. Needs a landline number to work)

The OP can solve this issue quite easily if he choose to. Take the advice unless you'd rather have an arguement and waste time with Foxtel every month.

Thanks for clarifying Dan, I'll do that right now :)

Still seems like incredibly insecure way of doing things if all anyone needs to do is type in a phone number to effectively charge money to someones elses account!

Edited by vilemerchant

Thanks for clarifying Dan, I'll do that right now :)

Still seems like incredibly insecure way of doing things if all anyone needs to do is type in a phone number to effectively charge money to someones elses account!

Its just an incredibly simple thing for you to do - rather than going off half-cocked like a few other suggestions have been here ie "demand this and demand that" - really, do you have the time to do that?

Remember, there is usually always a logical explanation for things. Even if Foxtel cant provide that explanation to you, someone else probably can.

I agree, it is insecure. When I was working there and we tested the IVR function for box office ordering, if a number was input or detected on the IVR that was associated to two different accounts as the primary number, it would boot you out and onto an operative who could help book the event for you. I dont know if that error check has been removed. It never detected area codes, which I thought was odd. However, in this situation it seems like the phone number is the most logical cause of this error. Chances are, the other person doing the ordering doesnt even know its not working for them either, and they could be calling the call centre up a few minutes before the main event starts and they are paniking because it hasnt worked, even though they know it has.

It could be other things too - a new client has signed up and the operative has recorded the wrong number against their account, and the wrong number just happens to be yours. The phone number on YOUR account could be wrong and could be the same as the other person. Or it could be a prankster, but the chances of them getting a random number, and twice in a row, are low.

If, after you remove your phone number off the Foxtel account, you are still getting these main events on your account - ask for "Interactive Services" to be removed off your account. Actually, double check that one. Under the old WIZARD system that was all we had to do to stop customers from ordering pay-per-view events but with the new VIVA system I dont know how it works.

Good luck.