Ua55c7000 Problems Already

Well had the TV for 5 days and all going well until this morning when we switch over to watch a DVD , Check Signal Cable !! connected to HDMI / DVI 1 , did all the usual checked cables , replaced HDMI cable , tried DVD player on Plasma no problems , Tried all 4 HDMI inputs and nothing !! , all other inputs AV1 , 2 , TV , Component , USB all working perfectly but no HDMI inputs at all .

Sounds like a service call already ?

On a side note , absolutely amazing picture never seen anything like it before. ( Except for the amazing only back on HDMI inputs )

Edited by Jomac

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well had the TV for 5 days and all going well until this morning when we switch over to watch a DVD , Check Signal Cable !! connected to HDMI / DVI 1 , did all the usual checked cables , replaced HDMI cable , tried DVD player on Plasma no problems , Tried all 4 HDMI inputs and nothing !! , all other inputs AV1 , 2 , TV , Component , USB all working perfectly but no HDMI inputs at all .

Don't even bother with a service call. You've only had the tv for 5 days, so take it back to the place of purchase for an exchange or a refund. (It would appear to be a faulty HDMI board. Not uncommon.)

Andys.

On a side note , absolutely amazing picture never seen anything like it before. ( Except for the amazing only back on HDMI inputs )

What is the DVD player set to output (i.e. 576i or 1080p etc.)? What version of HDMI is the DVD players DVI output compatible with, and is the player HDCP compliant?

JSmith :ninja:

Wouldn't it be a simple swap with the store? I believe the first two weekss it comes under store warranty.

take it to a store and ask for a DOA. If they cannot supply a replacement, ask for their display model as a loan TV till stock becomes available. Angry customers at JBs have managed that in the past. Worth a shot, as you probably wont get stock anymore. :(

Guest scorpian007

Which store did you purchase it from? Should be a straight swap over since it's within the 30 day DOA.

Edited by scorpian007

There are plenty of UA55C7000 available @ Samsung, they are delivering them to all customers. You should not need to wait too long.

Depends on who the retailer is ofcourse. Same problem occured with one that we sold last week. Straight DOA swapover.

Guest misha320
There are plenty of UA55C7000 available @ Samsung, they are delivering them to all customers. You should not need to wait too long.

Depends on who the retailer is ofcourse. Same problem occured with one that we sold last week. Straight DOA swapover.

I am having a similar problem. I was worried about the 1.3 connectivity as I have everything running through my Yamaha RX-V3800. Setup up the TV, plugged in the HDMI cable from the receiver, and everything was fine. That night, I set everything to standby. Next day, I turned the TV on and got the check the cable message. Strangely enough, I got a different message if I turned the receiver off. Tried moving all the cables around, still the same, even with components directly plugged into the TV. Then I unplugged the TV, and, when I turned it on again, lo and behold, everything was fine again.

Is this to be expected with all the disclaimers in the manual about asking other component vendors to upgrade their gear to 1.4?

Is this normal behaviour or do I also have a bad HDMI box?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I had my UA55C7000 delivered 3 weeks ago and the very next day this issue raised its head (I’ve been looking high and low for a discussion about it ever since; this is the first one I’ve found, so I thought I’d sign up and see if I can help out a bit). I've performed all sorts of troubleshooting exercises: four different Blu-ray players (each one a different brand); five different HDMI (1.3 and 1.4) cables of varying brands and levels of quality; a firmware update; disabling AnyNet and VieraCast, etc.; and three different TVs (JB swapped them over for me every time without any argument ... very impressed with their level of service with this).

The only way I could get the TV to re-establish its HDMI connection was to either perform a hard reset from within the TV's main menu, force a cold reboot (switch the power off at the wall while the TV was still running), or, after turning the TV off at night, also turning the power off at the wall until the next day, which, I guess, starves the TV of power and wipes its memory.

I also noticed that when the issue occurred/occurs, the HDMI inputs get confused—if the Blu-ray player is plugged into HDMI port number 1, the TV throws HDMI 2 up on the available inputs list (of course it doesn't work though, as nothing's actually connected to number 2). If I connect the player to port number 2, it throws up number 3, and so on. ...

During the week I spoke with the owner of one of the authorised service agents, who spoke with an engineer from Samsung and passed on all the information about the issue (various things I've tried, etc.). According to the Samsung engineer, this issue is caused by a software error in which the TV's operating system thinks it only has 3 HDMI ports, rather than 4, so it throws the port mapping out of whack. This issue was also present in the previous LED/LCD model and was corrected by a firmware update. I was told that they hadn't heard of this happening with the new models. I suspect they'll be getting plenty of calls and emails about it over the coming weeks.

Apparently the problem can be fixed with a hard factory reset via the service menu, so I've got the guys coming out to do just that on Friday. I thought about doing it myself—the service menu's easy to access—but I decided I'd wait and let the professionals do their thing.

I'll see if it fixes the issue and I’ll post the results. So far, the issue has happened every day when the TV is brought out of standby after an extended period of time (overnight, for example). Seeing as all the department stores turn the mains power off every night—essentially performing my number 3 step without realising it—they haven’t seen the issue because they’re creating a fresh HDMI connection every morning.

P.S. During my conversation with the Samsung engineer, I was told that the whole 1.3 vs. 1.4 thing/argument/disclaimer is a complete crock ... 1.3 cables and equipment are fully supported by these TVs.

Edited by Cobain72

Guest scorpian007

Excellent to see that it's now a known issue with these TV's. Let us know how it goes on Friday, it'll be good to know whether the hard reset fixes the issue.

To address two comments above

The HDMI problem is there, and is an issue but can easily be resolved, by doing a hard reboot, then connect your TV to the internet and do a system firmware upgrade.

This fixes the HDMI issues. If you get this fault, save yourself the agony of packing up your TV and sending it back to the retailers - the fix is easy and can be done at home. It is no a fault, just a sfotware glitch which is fixed in 5 minutes.

Second area to address if the HDMI 1.4/ HDMI 1.3 requirement.

You do not need HDMI 1.4 equipment and cables, BUT if you want to pass through 3D from a 3D blu ray player to the TV, or use a reciever as your AV switchbox and watch 3D, you must have 1.4 certified equipment.

If you do not care about 3D, then no need for HDMI 1.4 eqipment, all old 1.3 eqipment will do the job, but with that said, if you do not want the 3D function, then why the heck by the TV - buy the 6900 series, save $1000 and be happy.

If you are not intending to utilise 3D, then you just bought the wrong TV, in which case you should fork out the money and buy all new HDMI 1.4 equiment as punishment for not researching better

Just kidding

Enjoy yr new TV.

Qurious, thanks, I know that HDMI 1.4 is needed for 3D capability. What I’m saying is that 1.4 is not needed to use HDMI devices with this model of TV—1.3 will work, for non-3D media, just fine. And when Samsung manage to catch up with all the redemption claims they’re receiving, and they actually despatch my 3D Blu-ray player, which I’m told will still be about another 10 weeks (and I sent my claim in on May 5th), I’ll be able to enjoy the full, in-home effects of 3D via my HDMI 1.4 cable :D

I might also add that, during all the conversations I’ve had with JB staff, Samsung support representatives and their authorised support agents, no one has told me that they’re aware of this problem. It wasn’t until I spoke with Samsung’s senior engineer that I was told about the problem and it’s ‘fix’. And, according to him, they’re only aware of this problem existing in the series 6 model. Samsung support personnel simply told me that I’d have to upgrade all my 1.3 devices and cables to 1.4 if I wanted to use them with the TV ... regardless of whether I want to use 3D capabilities or not.

I want to use the 3D functionality of this TV; that is one of the main reasons I bought it. But to do that, the underlying HDMI issue needs to be resolved: no HDMI = no 3D.

With regard to the ‘hard reboot’ and ‘system firmware upgrade’, do you mean a reboot (reset) from within the service menu, or a hard power reboot, followed by a firmware upgrade? I’ve done the power reboot/firmware upgrade process twice (once each on two TVs), with no success. And the system reset (from within the service menu) will be done on Friday ... as I mentioned.

I researched the heck out of this LCD TV; then I shelled out 4.5K. And I love the performance of the TV ... aside from the little hiccup we’re currently discussing. What I don’t love is Samsung not passing on information about ‘known issues’ to sales agents and support staff. There’s nothing in the owner’s manual and there’s nothing on Samsung’s site either.

Anyway, hopefully the hard reset will fix it when they come out on Friday. I’m glad that you know about this problem and have confirmed the fix for it; it gives me a greater sense of faith in what Samsung have told me.

Now I just have to find a suitable upgrade to replace my Yamaha RXZ1. Something with HDMI. ... :o

Samsung support personnel simply told me that I’d have to upgrade all my 1.3 devices and cables to 1.4 if I wanted to use them with the TV ... regardless of whether I want to use 3D capabilities or not.

You do not need a HDMI 1.4 cable to view 3D. A high-speed 1.3 cable does the job! HDMI 1.4 just adds the audio return capability.

Andys.

You do not need a HDMI 1.4 cable to view 3D. A high-speed 1.3 cable does the job! HDMI 1.4 just adds the audio return capability.

Andys.

Hi I have had my TV for Two weeks this Wednesday and yes I have had the same problem

All that I have done is turn off my system from the wall and turn it back on and away it goes again.

I am getting a link switch for the Internet later in the week I will then update my system and hopefully it will be ok

As Far as the 1.4 v 1.3 HDMI cable is concerned you can watch your 3D movies( that is of course when Samsung finally decide to send my BLU RAY Player) and 3D TV like the Rugby league and Soccer.

but those of you who are gamers will not be able to play very successfully your 3D Games when they start to become available as you will need 1.4 cables

I have just done up my lounge room and am using a borrowed Denon 2310 AV Receiver (from the store that I got my system from)

I have ordered a Denon 2311 due to hit our shores in late July or early August and that will be 1.4 HDMI compatable

I have to admit the picture on the new TV is fantastic

Hopefully I can get rid of this bug and it will run as smooth as silk

regards Craig

Excellent to see that it's now a known issue with these TV's. Let us know how it goes on Friday, it'll be good to know whether the hard reset fixes the issue.

Well the factory reset via the service menu didn't fix the problem. In fact, Samsung are now saying (according to the service technician) that it's a hardware fault. However, he couldn't give me any details about the actual fault, except that mine definitely isn’t the first UA55C7000 with this problem.

In any case, JB have assured me that when the issue is resolved, i.e., when new, fault-free sets are available, I can either swap the unit and try again, or get my money back and take it from there. I’m more than happy with the TV otherwise, so I’ll most likely give it another crack. ...

Well the factory reset via the service menu didn't fix the problem. In fact, Samsung are now saying (according to the service technician) that it's a hardware fault. However, he couldn't give me any details about the actual fault, except that mine definitely isn’t the first UA55C7000 with this problem.

In any case, JB have assured me that when the issue is resolved, i.e., when new, fault-free sets are available, I can either swap the unit and try again, or get my money back and take it from there. I’m more than happy with the TV otherwise, so I’ll most likely give it another crack. ...

I'm really sorry guys I haven't kept this issue up to date ,

Firstly , returning the unit for replacement wasn't an option as I am in WA and the TV was purchased from Melb , it's a long story but basically I ordered 55-8000 because it wasn't available in WA at the time , turned out it wasn't available over there either so I decided on the new 7000 instead.

So what I did was called Samsung Service and a tech called out a week later , did a factory reset , tested HDMI and no difference , left with all settings in factory mode so had to setup everything again from scratch.

He said it was a board fault so I waited another 12 days and tech turned up with replacement input board , screwed it in, put the back on , installed back where I had it and nothing worked , so pulled it down and apart again , he hadn't fitted the interconnecting flat ribbon cable properly , put it all back to normal again and tested HDMI and Success !!!

Tech leaves with all settings in factory again, he couldn't be bothered connecting up everything else or checking anything but the HDMI , but at least it was working again.

I very loosely use the term Tech , these guys are nothing but board swap Jockey's with very limited technical ability.

Anyway had a great 4 days and again back to square one!! "check input cable" tried all the usual things just in-case but same as before.

So I thought I would check back in here to update everyone BUT , I noticed this discussion about hard reset , basically pulling the power while the TV is running.

Did this and no difference , then I thought I will try it again but with cable unplugged when I switched it back on , then checked HDMI 1 and of course nothing come up., Then I switched off with remote plugged cable back in and turn on with remote and it's alive again !!

Basically what this did was stored that there was no HDMI connections in the memory , so it was in a state ready to remap the inputs and save them again.

This is obviously only a temporary fix , I got the wireless dongle with the TV so have been checking most days for firmware updates but there has been none since the TV was released , Current version 2010/04/03_001008

I don't believe this is a hardware issue at all , it is definitely a software glitch or setting ( via service menu ) , There are so many options for HDMI in the service menu but no explanation of their purpose.

Will check in daily .

I'm really sorry guys I haven't kept this issue up to date ,

Firstly , returning the unit for replacement wasn't an option as I am in WA and the TV was purchased from Melb , it's a long story but basically I ordered 55-8000 because it wasn't available in WA at the time , turned out it wasn't available over there either so I decided on the new 7000 instead.

So what I did was called Samsung Service and a tech called out a week later , did a factory reset , tested HDMI and no difference , left with all settings in factory mode so had to setup everything again from scratch.

He said it was a board fault so I waited another 12 days and tech turned up with replacement input board , screwed it in, put the back on , installed back where I had it and nothing worked , so pulled it down and apart again , he hadn't fitted the interconnecting flat ribbon cable properly , put it all back to normal again and tested HDMI and Success !!!

Tech leaves with all settings in factory again, he couldn't be bothered connecting up everything else or checking anything but the HDMI , but at least it was working again.

I very loosely use the term Tech , these guys are nothing but board swap Jockey's with very limited technical ability.

Anyway had a great 4 days and again back to square one!! "check input cable" tried all the usual things just in-case but same as before.

So I thought I would check back in here to update everyone BUT , I noticed this discussion about hard reset , basically pulling the power while the TV is running.

Did this and no difference , then I thought I will try it again but with cable unplugged when I switched it back on , then checked HDMI 1 and of course nothing come up., Then I switched off with remote plugged cable back in and turn on with remote and it's alive again !!

Basically what this did was stored that there was no HDMI connections in the memory , so it was in a state ready to remap the inputs and save them again.

This is obviously only a temporary fix , I got the wireless dongle with the TV so have been checking most days for firmware updates but there has been none since the TV was released , Current version 2010/04/03_001008

I don't believe this is a hardware issue at all , it is definitely a software glitch or setting ( via service menu ) , There are so many options for HDMI in the service menu but no explanation of their purpose.

Will check in daily .

Jomac, what I found with mine—sorry I should’ve mentioned this before—is that when I perform the cold power reboot I have to turn the TV on first, followed by the Blu-ray player; it doesn’t work if I turn the player on first. Also, when you kill the power you’ll hear two clicks from the TV: one pretty much instantly, and another one a second or two later. Again, it doesn’t seem to work unless I wait to hear that second click before powering it back up again.

It’s pretty funny ... what you said about ‘techs’. When I booked in the service call, the owner of the company told me they’d perform a factory reset from within the service menu, at Samsung’s instruction; however, when the tech arrived yesterday, he went into the standard user menu ...? I said, “Mate, aren’t you meant to be doing a reset from the service menu?” He said: “Oh no, we’re not allowed in the service menu! I had to get him into the service menu and show him where the reset option is :wacko:

With regard to a firmware update, there is a ‘2010/05/28_#####’ download available from here. I found, for some strange reason, if you simply punch the model number into the ‘Search product support’ field it returns a response stating that nothing’s available, but if you click on the support link, followed by the ‘TV / Audio Video’ button, then the’ Product’, ‘Product Subtype’, and ‘Model Number’ options ... voila! But, after all that, it makes no difference anyway.

The other thing I neglected to mention before is that when the TV pops up its on-screen message about the HMDI connection not being in place, the Anynet function can still talk to the TV; that is, it’ll power up the Blu-ray player from Anynet, list the player in its ‘Devices’ area of the menu, and connect to it, but then says to check cable connections when it tries to display the source. .... So, it looks to be a protocol issue rather than a connection one.

To keep my HDMI connection persistent I just power up the TV and Blu-ray player each morning and evening, which, so far, has worked.

I'll update as more info comes to hand. ...

Edited by Cobain72

Jomac, what I found with mine—sorry I should’ve mentioned this before—is that when I perform the cold power reboot I have to turn the TV on first, followed by the Blu-ray player; it doesn’t work if I turn the player on first. Also, when you kill the power you’ll hear two clicks from the TV: one pretty much instantly, and another one a second or two later. Again, it doesn’t seem to work unless I wait to hear that second click before powering it back up again.

So to summarise, what you are saying is that there is a HDCP handshaking issue between the devices - one of the benefits of HDMI?

The only way around it is to boot the devices in a set sequence. This is not uncommon for HDMI devices as they need to 'talk' to each other when powering up.

So to summarise, what you are saying is that there is a HDCP handshaking issue between the devices - one of the benefits of HDMI?

The only way around it is to boot the devices in a set sequence. This is not uncommon for HDMI devices as they need to 'talk' to each other when powering up.

Diesel, not exactly, because once the initial handshake has occurred and the connection is re-established, it doesn't matter what that power sequence/order is; it only matters the first time—after the error occurs and after the cold-reboot. Then I can shut down and power up in any order I like 'til the cows come home, perform hot-swaps between ports, and other normal, expected functions. And provided I don't go more than 15-20 hours without powering up both devices the connection remains intact.

Cobain72 , thanks for the reply mate ,

It appears the update you posted the link to only refers to a channel 9 issue , nothing mentioned regarding this known HDMI problem we have. , all the same it's interesting that the update doesn't show up when you search for it or use the inbuilt update option on the TV.

I am at bit of loss as to how to approach this issue now , maybe just wait for Samsung to acknowledge the problem and bring out a firmware fix ? or maybe I contact Samsung support again and tell them their previous repair has failed again , Really unless the service centers are made aware of a fix it will be the same doofus tech again maybe swapping a board again which really does nothing different to what we have found ourselves by cold rebooting.

Cobain72 , what is your course of action and are you complaining to Samsung or basically just waiting for a firmware update to be release ?