Jvc Hd 550 Owners Review

Hi Guys

so does anyone have this projector to give a owners review and setting etc , as i am only about 4 to 6 weeks of buying 1 of these now

there is a owners thread on the 950 but not the 550 ?

anyone out their has this

thank in advance

regards

Darren

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought one several weeks ago and I'm underwhelmed by it so far. The PQ is OK, but my old BenQ 720P was noticeably better. The BenQ really had an impact, this one doesn't. Plus it doesn't have a 12V trigger so it can't tell my electric screen whether it should be up or down. What I do like about it is the ease of installation, it was a breeze with the horizonal and vertical lens shift, plus the geometric test patterns to get pixel perfect alignment with my screen. You really need VideoEQ Pro or an external scaler with CMS for this projector. I would be perfectly happy going back to my BenQ, which I sold for $1200.

well thats not a good rap considering the 950 everyone is raving about

i must admit when i seen the demo from Rich i was quite impressed

any one else with a better comment to be made that has 1 and is happy with it?

or is it worth the extra to get the 950?

or is it worth the extra to get the 950?

VideoEQ Pro + 550 is cheaper than 950. That would be my recommendation unless you've got the extra coin to drop on the 950. Or there was an ISF calibrated BenQ PE8720 for sale on the forum here somewhere, that would be my first choice if the budget was tight.

I bought one several weeks ago and I'm underwhelmed by it so far. The PQ is OK, but my old BenQ 720P was noticeably better. The BenQ really had an impact, this one doesn't. Plus it doesn't have a 12V trigger so it can't tell my electric screen whether it should be up or down. What I do like about it is the ease of installation, it was a breeze with the horizonal and vertical lens shift, plus the geometric test patterns to get pixel perfect alignment with my screen. You really need VideoEQ Pro or an external scaler with CMS for this projector. I would be perfectly happy going back to my BenQ, which I sold for $1200.

Something doesn't seem right there beejay. The JVC 550 is better than the W6000, which is a step up from the W5000.. I don't doubt the 8720 was a great 720 dlp, but it's years out of date.. surely JVC are making better projectors than that? Perhaps the 8720 had a better lens than the new BenQ models? It was 10 grand when it came out after all.

The picture rendered by the PE8720 looked "lifelike", with good colour accuracy and greyscale tracking. The 550 does not. Or I should say my 550 does not, it just doesn't quite "look right". For me accuracy is important, and to that extent the 550 needs help via an external CMS system. I have bought a Lumagen Radiance XS to help out here. I'm expecting a good result, but it will require effort.

I went from the Epson TW1000 (which I was a big fan of) to the HD550 and couldn't be happier. Depends entirely on your budget and your needs I suppose. For me, DLP was never a consideration, I get the headaches and tired eyes from them, so the JVC offers a big improvement over the LCD that I'd been using.

The picture rendered by the PE8720 looked "lifelike", with good colour accuracy and greyscale tracking. The 550 does not. Or I should say my 550 does not, it just doesn't quite "look right". For me accuracy is important, and to that extent the 550 needs help via an external CMS system. I have bought a Lumagen Radiance XS to help out here. I'm expecting a good result, but it will require effort.

If you are not in to saturated colours then the 550 may not be the right choice unless paired with the likes of the Lumagen as you state. I have the HD750 and find it an excellent PJ though I have had it calibrated as I prefer a tamer palette. Having said that the HD750 greyscale tracking was spot on except at 5% which needed only a single click increase.

Something doesn't seem right there beejay. The JVC 550 is better than the W6000, which is a step up from the W5000.. I don't doubt the 8720 was a great 720 dlp, but it's years out of date.. surely JVC are making better projectors than that? Perhaps the 8720 had a better lens than the new BenQ models? It was 10 grand when it came out after all.

thats what i was thinking as well Rich as what you showed me in that demo i can not fault

AJM cheers mate glad someone else is enjoying there's

i have about 3 months to wait before i get to view mine (when i buy it :D )

No complaints from me.

Beautiful image (110" scope/ Evo 3D).

Obviously others have different expectations - yes the 750/950/990 may have great CMS set-ups but....... I'd doubt you would complain about the picture from the 550.

Regards

No complaints from me.

Beautiful image (110" scope/ Evo 3D).

Obviously others have different expectations - yes the 750/950/990 may have great CMS set-ups but....... I'd doubt you would complain about the picture from the 550.

Regards

Hi Mate

can i ask how far back is your JVC 550 mounted?

as i am not sure if i want a 16:9 or a scope screen ??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

and to use a scope screen do i need a AL MKIII or MK4 ?

also does anyone know where i would have to mount the projector to get a 125 scope screen working right ?

• 2 weeks later...
I have a HD550. Its very nice. Im going to order another one esp as I can get for $3999K delivered.

wow thats a good price ? where is that from?

glad you like it as well i am about 1 month away from buying 1 now so i am waiting for the latest price drops etc :D:D

• 2 weeks later...
At that price I would be super interested. Is this a mate's rates deal? Open to other "mates", even at a higher price but still less than the $5,500 elsewhere?

PM me if you want a good price.

I dont sell these but am willing to help out members.

cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mate

can i ask how far back is your JVC 550 mounted?

as i am not sure if i want a 16:9 or a scope screen ??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

and to use a scope screen do i need a AL MKIII or MK4 ?

also does anyone know where i would have to mount the projector to get a 125 scope screen working right ?

Sorry DBL15,

I'd forgotten I'd added my 2c in this thread.

To answer your question my 550 is throwing an image from 5m, atop a cabinet purposely bought for the job. I wanted to have the projector at the centre height of the screen to alleviate using any shift functions.

To use the scope screen you would use one of two methods (this has been a rather colourfully debated subject on this forum);

1) Project using the anamorphic lens (combined with a vertical stretch either in the projector or source device)

2) Project using the zoom method to fill the screen.

Read up on the anamorphic side;

http://cavx.blogspot.com/

http://www.anamorphiclens.com.au/

http://www.ozts.com.au/cinemascope.htm

Regards

all good mate no problem

i have ordered my JVC through Rich for a great price cant complain

and i am going with a 16:9 Evo 3D screen in 100 inch size so i am not worried about the scope side of things for now

really can't wait for the next two weeks to pass until i can start playing

Hi beejay

Mate, as you know I had the same Benq a couple of years ago, calibrated it, and loved it until I invited a bloke over with the first 1080p lcos. I thought mine would win the shootout, and it did not by a long shot.

So I ended up buying a JVC lcos, a predecessor of your HD550, have still got it and I have never pined for the 8720 in comparison. Something must be screwy, but I am sure you will have sorted it with the CMS

Great to see your system moving yet higher

• 2 weeks later...