Av Rack Of Large Stand

I am having trouble finding any decent priced AV racks or stands to hold all of my home theater equipment. I have only been able to find a few on Selby's site but I am after more of a square design so that I have free access to the back of the equipment.

I am looking for a tall design as it will go up the back corner of the room next to and slightly behind the seating there. Looking for something in Black by preference.

Anyone got any websites they can share?

Any stores around the Melbourne, dandenong, pakenham/hallam areas?

What are others using? I have started considering just getting one of those open style (no front or back) cube book shelves you see in furniture stores, ikea etc. Anyone tried this or have thoughts on it?

I have also looked at 19" rack designs but by the time you put 7-8 shelves in the prices jump to $800-$2000 and I just cant justify that for something that just holds my equipment.

Any help is appreciated and I look forward to posting picks of the finished setup B)

I am having trouble finding any decent priced AV racks or stands to hold all of my home theater equipment. I have only been able to find a few on Selby's site but I am after more of a square design so that I have free access to the back of the equipment.

I am looking for a tall design as it will go up the back corner of the room next to and slightly behind the seating there. Looking for something in Black by preference.

What are others using? I have started considering just getting one of those open style (no front or back) cube book shelves you see in furniture stores, ikea etc. Anyone tried this or have thoughts on it?

I have also looked at 19" rack designs but by the time you put 7-8 shelves in the prices jump to $800-$2000 and I just cant justify that for something that just holds my equipment.

Any help is appreciated and I look forward to posting picks of the finished setup B)

For the ground floor setup I have everything in a 19" rack. The 42RU rack set me back $700 plus the three shelves I bought last Friday was another $127. Now I am assuming you dont need a 42RU rack? If not then I assume you should be able to pick it up for less than $700 provided you dont mind a 19" rack in the open space.

In the HT room I have all the gear going in an MDF box under the screen that will sit in the false wall cavity

how tall is tall? 1.5m, 2m?

FWIW personally I don't like tall racks.. if 8 shelves i rather have 2 medium racks than one tall one..

Tall = bad for me, esp since I have a bad back.

and they can topple over easily if the base is not width enough. Moving them is hard, and one prob needs to find a rack that's structually strong enough. And then have to consider if the floor can take the load/pressure etc.

But it all depends on the equipment (height, weight), how heavy they are, heat, and how accessible you need them to be...

If you're after a tall rack, don't skimp on price... Those computer server racks should be ok (wide base and with wheels u can move them in/out/around easily). You don't have to pay full price too, you can always grab them second hand at a fraction of a cost. And if ur lucky and patient, you can get them really really cheap.. :D

Thanks for the replies. I have all cables etc running back to the back corner of the room so I can really only have the equipment in the one place and only have enough room for a 700-800mm wide cabinet. I would be in the 1.2-1.6m range for height to be able to house all the equipment I would think.

I am looking into the AVRAK, AVTRAK and AVSTAND at the moment as they seem to provide a very nice looking and easily adjustable system. Unfortunately 7-8 shelves will cost me around $1000 but I am still waiting on a couple of quotes and I am hopeful that I can get it cheaper.

Still welcoming any other suggestions or ideas that will save me some money?

Thanks for the replies. I have all cables etc running back to the back corner of the room so I can really only have the equipment in the one place and only have enough room for a 700-800mm wide cabinet. I would be in the 1.2-1.6m range for height to be able to house all the equipment I would think.

Still welcoming any other suggestions or ideas that will save me some money?

Bunnings has this aluminum tubes and joiners which u can use to build up a frame (can't remember what it's called). I think :) used it...

Might work? Prob need to reinforce it somehow to make sure it don't flex (depends on how heavy ur gear are)...

Really consider 2nd hand though, just look around, u'd never know and be lucky.. I got my custom hifi & tv rack for ~$200.. Sounds cheap but hands down the best piece of gear I have so far.

I've got another custom rack recently for pretty cheap money too... There are people selling, just have to find 'em...

If you want cheap, good and no DIY.. 2nd hand is ur best option...

Hi souljah_adam,

I do not know if this suits your needs, but have you thought of a "Spider Rack"?. I bought 2 sets from http://www.coemaudio.com.au/Other/Stands-and-Racks/171/.

They bolt together vertically, and you can order extra shelves if required. They come in a flat back, like a large "Mecanno" set which you assemble yourself . You could paint the uprights in black before assembly. They have adjustable spiked feet and are extremely strong and stable too. I have mine setup with 6 shelves. I spent a long time in search of a suitable racking system before settling on this one, which suit my needs and budget too. It provides excellent ventilation and easy access to my equipment.

I would gladly send you a pic of my rack, but I do not know how to attach/ upload pics to this site. Any advice?.

I hope this is of some help,

Regards

Juz

Hi souljah_adam,

I do not know if this suits your needs, but have you thought of a "Spider Rack"?. I bought 2 sets from http://www.coemaudio.com.au/Other/Stands-and-Racks/171/.

They bolt together vertically, and you can order extra shelves if required. They come in a flat back, like a large "Mecanno" set which you assemble yourself . You could paint the uprights in black before assembly. They have adjustable spiked feet and are extremely strong and stable too. I have mine setup with 6 shelves. I spent a long time in search of a suitable racking system before settling on this one, which suit my needs and budget too. It provides excellent ventilation and easy access to my equipment.

I would gladly send you a pic of my rack, but I do not know how to attach/ upload pics to this site. Any advice?.

I hope this is of some help,

Regards

Juz

I come across these last night and they look like a potential winner if I cannot find a decent 2nd hand deal (I have possibly found one). I have sent you a pm with my email address that you can send some photos to if you don't mind.

This only for Perth though...

Somebody at Broadway Fair Shopping Centre (near UWA Nedlands) is throwing out some stuffs.. One of 'em is a Server rack (not sure about the height, but is ~2m). Only 2 shelves though. Seems to be in pretty good nick.

Apparently you can get it for free... Always wanted one, but Mrs not keen :wacko:, even when it's free :wacko: :wacko:.

If any body interested, drop by and check (remember to ask the owners), just in case.. Else it'd be stealing.. :P

Edit: Forgot to say, top floor car park.

Edited by treblid

That seems expensive.

PM me if you want, I may be able to help.

Edited by mr-happy-pants

Thank you to everyone for your help. I ended up going with the Spider racks. I have confirmed that I can put two of them together for a total of 6 shelves for $378.00 which is a good price for me.

For anyone else who is looking for racks I found someone who had some large audio racks (1.8m high) going for the $400-500 range in the Melbourne area. It would be too hard for me to get them back home. PM me if you want a contact number.

• 1 year later...

*bump*

I'm also looking for rack to mount my hifi gear.

1) It looks like these spider racks do not have shelves. Does this mean that you equipment rests directly on the cross-members? How good is the vibration isolation on these things?

2) Does anyone have any other good suggestions? I'm looking for a unit which is modular 'cause I'll need around 6-8 shelves of differing heights (HTPC, DVD, amp, pre-amp, server, wii, gigabit switch + modem/router).

Price, isolation, ventilation and aesthetics are important to me. Can't use a rack coz not all my equipment is rack-mountable.

I have been through the same deal and I am going for (wait for it) IKEA cupboard, which I am about to pick up. Think the range is called BESTA or similar. (Awaiting the flames!)

I have about 600wide section under the stairs, you can leave the back open to help with ventilation, you can buy a glass door to go on the front and castor wheels to spin it around on/pull out. You can add in shelves also and all up I think it works out around $250-300 and comes in two heights and different colours.

I looked at AVRACK etc and I could not justify $1k just to put stuff on - that is my thoughts anyway - it is in a under stair cupboard area so it is not seen and will hook up an IR extender/Rf setup for control and it feeds through the wall back to the TV and Audio gear.

Cheap choice and sturdy construction (well compared to target chipboard stuff or cheap as chips gear) anyway.

Ben

I have been through the same deal and I am going for (wait for it) IKEA cupboard, which I am about to pick up. Think the range is called BESTA or similar.

Any chance you could be a little more specific? There's around 15 pages of Besta gear on the Ikea site.

If anybody is just after a 4 tier rack or wanting to buy bits to add to one, then drop me a line. I'll do you a bit of a deal on my one of these

Ubuild-Hifi-rack---Black-uprights-with-Black-Glass.html

I believe you can buy shelves and spacers separately to go higher. Mines only 8 weeks old but I had custom cabinets installed last night so it's sitting under the stair case now. In perfect condition.

Any chance you could be a little more specific? There's around 15 pages of Besta gear on the Ikea site.

Besta shelf unit 128cm high for $125 - http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/00179347/ next size up is 192 cm high (too large for my spot under the stairs)

extra shelf $10 http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/90168047/

Then add a glass door $95 (inthe catalogue so think the price has dropped) http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/60210825/ or solid door $110 http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/40178483/

Then you can add castors to the bottom for $15 or adjustable legs

I will leave the back panel off to wire stuff into the gear.

So that runs out to about $250 depending on what you do with it - the thing with Ikea is you can buy the carcass and then add the doors and other stuff you want to it after - makes it customisable.

NOt too fancy but not too shabby either IMHO. Door hardware and hinges etc is good quality and fully adjustable to get the doors to sit straight - not like other cheapo flatpack stuff.

Ben

Edited by Bennyt

This is exactly what I'm chasing. Decent AV stand at an affordable price and with custom rack heights. Sucks you're in Melbourne though.

Might have to check out my local WC Hifi. Does anyone know where you can get the additional shelves and spacers from? Or do you have to order it direct from Digital Audio Group?

Just wanted to tell you guys I bought 2x Walker Edison Everest Component Stands.

Being modular, you can use the parts from both racks to build one extra tall unit and one smaller unit. 2 units + shipping worked out to be $675. I considered this to be okay for a unit which would suit my needs almost perfectly and cost-wise probably cheaper than anything I could find in Australia.

Edited by DeathPoobar