Replace 3805....with What?

Hi everyone,

I'm contemplating updating my 3805 so I can take advantage of HDMI connections full features, have HDMI switching and transcoding/upscaling component to HDMI features available in the new AVRs.

Budget is $3k or less.

I see people are sourcing the 4810 from KEC and that looks a pretty sweet deal.

I like Denon after my positive run with the 3805 but what are the other contenders to consider.

Would just be feeding it from PS3 for time being, is there better source avail now (oppo player from custom analogue)?

Would be great to hear of anyone who has done a similar AVR upgrade.

Thanks,

J

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just upgraded from a Yamaha RX-V3800, Sony bluray and Wharfedale speakers.

I now have an Oppo BDP-83 bluray, Krix speakers and best of all Emotiva processer and amps. Check out www.emotiva.com

Dave.

so the Emotiva UMC-1 & Emotiva XPA-5 combo would be your recommendation. I see they are $1500USD + shipping.

Could it compare to a 4810?

Or should I just grab a 1910/2310 and the XPA-5 Amp?

J

Hi everyone,

I'm contemplating updating my 3805 so I can take advantage of HDMI connections full features, have HDMI switching and transcoding/upscaling component to HDMI features available in the new AVRs.

Budget is $3k or less.

I like Denon after my positive run with the 3805 but what are the other contenders to consider.

Would just be feeding it from PS3 for time being, is there better source avail now (oppo player from custom analogue)?

Thanks,

J

persoanlly I dont think youd regret a 4810, it actually has a very meaty power stage. from a 3805 a direct replacement would be even an older 3808. whcih youd find even a quantam step from the old 3805. A 2nd hand 4308 a great option as well. The denons make for great processors too so down the track you can always add a power amp eg the 2nd hand elektra that tend to go for around the $2k mark.

persoanlly I dont think youd regret a 4810, it actually has a very meaty power stage. from a 3805 a direct replacement would be even an older 3808. whcih youd find even a quantam step from the old 3805. A 2nd hand 4308 a great option as well. The denons make for great processors too so down the track you can always add a power amp eg the 2nd hand elektra that tend to go for around the $2k mark.

Thanks al!

you dont think the 2310 and the XPA-5 Amp pair would kill a 4810?

J

Thanks al!

you dont think the 2310 and the XPA-5 Amp pair would kill a 4810?

J

thing with a 2310 youd be a loosing a fair bit in processing, dacs analog stage, and even audyssey you get with it is not the full blown version you get on the 4810. rather than a 2310 as mentioned I reckon better to go for a 2nd hand 3808 as a minimum coming of the 3805 :)

I can only comment on how Emotiva compares to Yamaha. The Yamaha 3800 has very good SQ. I added an Emotiva XPA-5 amp to the yamaha and noticed a significant improvement in SQ and head room. I then added the XPA-2 and noticed another step up in performance from my mains.

Finally I received my Emotiva UMC-1. This thing sound great in HT duties and will blow other receivers away in 2 channel music duties.

I highly recommend Emotiva.

Dave.

I can only comment on how Emotiva compares to Yamaha. The Yamaha 3800 has very good SQ. I added an Emotiva XPA-5 amp to the yamaha and noticed a significant improvement in SQ and head room. I then added the XPA-2 and noticed another step up in performance from my mains.

Finally I received my Emotiva UMC-1. This thing sound great in HT duties and will blow other receivers away in 2 channel music duties.

I highly recommend Emotiva.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your info. Thinking of a 4810 and then an Emotiva XPA-5 at a later date.

PS I only have room for a 5 channel system at present.

How does that sound peoples??

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your info. Thinking of a 4810 and then an Emotiva XPA-5 at a later date.

PS I only have room for a 5 channel system at present.

How does that sound peoples??

Many good suggestions jslayz ; I would go for a separate pre power combo maybe as once you upgrade the power amp youre then left with the avrs power stages you paid good money for doing naught ;) Separates have the advantage of isolation of pre amp level signals from a power amps toroids [if class a/b] and other benefits if the avr 's rf/emi shielding isnt up to scratch [ the more you pay the better this becomes usually]

If you have a difficult room ; an older integra with audessey or a umc1 [if emo-q is any good ] or a denon would be wise . Emotiva are great value due to their no storefront marketing business model and you can always add a xpa2 if you expand later to audessey dsx ; pl2z for instance :)

A quick comment on EmoQ. Currently I don't have a lot of confidence that it works all that well. There is a FW update due to be released early next week that is reported to make a significant improvement in performance.

If you want to compare it to Audyssey, I don't think it will have Audyssey levels of performance as far as room correction goes, but SQ will still be better than most of the competition.

Dave.

Many good suggestions jslayz ; I would go for a separate pre power combo maybe as once you upgrade the power amp youre then left with the avrs power stages you paid good money for doing naught ;) Separates have the advantage of isolation of pre amp level signals from a power amps toroids [if class a/b] and other benefits if the avr 's rf/emi shielding isnt up to scratch [ the more you pay the better this becomes usually]

If you have a difficult room ; an older integra with audessey or a umc1 [if emo-q is any good ] or a denon would be wise . Emotiva are great value due to their no storefront marketing business model and you can always add a xpa2 if you expand later to audessey dsx ; pl2z for instance :)

I'm not sure you can get the Denon 4810 features in a pre??

Hence why I'll probably just grab one of them for now.

See them for $2900 ex HK, will check in with KEC first though.

J

See them for $2900 ex HK, will check in with KEC first though.

J

j coming I doubt you will be dissapointed in the 4810, my 4308 I had made for an awesome processor that even today would be the envy of quite a few rivals. The 4810 quite a few steps up from there in not only processing but dacs etc as well. Power wise too the 4810 with about twice the grunt of the 3805. And overall in fit and finish and build you'll be quite amazed how far denon has moved along :)

j coming I doubt you will be dissapointed in the 4810, my 4308 I had made for an awesome processor that even today would be the envy of quite a few rivals. The 4810 quite a few steps up from there in not only processing but dacs etc as well. Power wise too the 4810 with about twice the grunt of the 3805. And overall in fit and finish and build you'll be quite amazed how far denon has moved along :)

Al, thanks.

I have stumbled onto an Aussie integra DHC 9.9 for $3000AUD - New in box

It has the HQV Reon-VX and the Denon has the Anchor Bay 2010, have you read a comparison, I haven't seen one yet?

What are the pros and cons of these 2, besides the no PrologicIIz on the 9.9, either looks good.

Keep the thoughts coming gents.

cheers everyone who has put some thoughts forward so far.

J

Edited by jslayz

Certainly cant match the denons features at present in a pre but you must ask ;will I use the audessey dsx /pl3z ie have you the room to place the wing speakers at the front for the dsx or the ceiling ones for the dolby ? will you be using the denon link4 ? You would be looking at a denon 4010 at a minimum to take advantage of it. I wouldnt be to concerned about the hqv vs abt scalers both are very good :) I could be wrong but I think Al has the denon avp with hqv and uses his tv to scale ;some tvs [like pio's] have very good scaling themselves .

Do you really need the network dnla /streaming features ? Or would a media player do ? I would imagine the 4810 has over the web firmware upgrades though I dont think the last gen 9.9 does ; this is very handy for sure . Its a hard decision and remember the new denon universal 3d bluray players would match well ;though the dearer one will probably not have dl4 like the 4010..

Thats a great price for the integra but .

Edited by cwt

OK, think I'll get the 4810.

Now I'm keen to get some DSX Heights and Wides happening so gonna have to grab some Aaron SS120's (4 more).

So should I be keeping the ATS 3 as my L side Surround and R side Surround and using SS120's for the new DSX Wides and Heights or moving my ATS 3 into a new role?

Keen to hear any info/thoughts, cheers.

J

OK, think I'll get the 4810.

Now I'm keen to get some DSX Heights and Wides happening so gonna have to grab some Aaron SS120's (4 more).

So should I be keeping the ATS 3 as my L side Surround and R side Surround and using SS120's for the new DSX Wides and Heights or moving my ATS 3 into a new role?

No experience with aaron's j ; but I would use the surrounds with the best bass extension as your l/r surrounds ;some aggressive soundtracks out there ; and you may buy a universal bd player later which would appreciate a lower hi pass filter setting for multichannel music discs :) As dsx uses phase and ambience cues ? I wouldnt worry too much about frequency response for those speakers comparatively ..

No experience with aaron's j ; but I would use the surrounds with the best bass extension as your l/r surrounds ;some aggressive soundtracks out there ; and you may buy a universal bd player later which would appreciate a lower hi pass filter setting for multichannel music discs :) As dsx uses phase and ambience cues ? I wouldnt worry too much about frequency response for those speakers comparatively ..

Thanks CWT!

That is exactly what I was thinking. ^_^

Rest of my system is Aarons so I wanted the tweeter to be uniform throughout the system to maintain 'tone'.

I have full range (way oversized, they are small floor standers!) Left and right side surrounds running about 105degrees positions at present.

Much easier for me to add these small speakers to the room.

Mmmmm 9.1 DSX FW & FH here I come!

Can't wait!

J

Ordered my 4 x SS120 today and mounts :-)

Happy times!!!

Thats great j ; be sure to comment on your impressions as Ime sure many are intrigued by the dsx and pl2z :) Any room for back surrounds as well ? just kidding :)

Thats great j ; be sure to comment on your impressions as Ime sure many are intrigued by the dsx and pl2z :) Any room for back surrounds as well ? just kidding :)

If my 3805 doesn't sell it's going to be running wides and I will go 11.1 with the addition of surround backs.

I'll defintely post once all is sorted at 9.1 in a couple weeks.

Can't find a black 4810.......

Soon I hope.

J

Hi everyone,

Budget is $3k or less.

Thanks,

J

Hi J,

I just recently upgraded from a 3805 to a 4310 (purchased from KEC). Using the same Whatmough speaker setup as before and the sound through the new receiver is absolutely terrific and a huge improvement over the 3805 (which I have been very happy with for years). Landed here for about $1900 so if you want to just purchase what is the "replacement" for the 3805 and save yourself a bit of cash to spend elsewhere you can't go wrong. Having said that, the 4810 can only be bigger and better...

Hi J,

I just recently upgraded from a 3805 to a 4310 (purchased from KEC). Using the same Whatmough speaker setup as before and the sound through the new receiver is absolutely terrific and a huge improvement over the 3805 (which I have been very happy with for years). Landed here for about $1900 so if you want to just purchase what is the "replacement" for the 3805 and save yourself a bit of cash to spend elsewhere you can't go wrong. Having said that, the 4810 can only be bigger and better...

Thanks Mattyk.

The only thing I need after the 4810 is maybe a 15inch HSU sub (or 2)

Can't wait for 9.1!!

J