Foxtel Joins Xbox Live!

Partnership with Foxtel Announced

20 05 2010

This morning we announce a partnership between Xbox and Foxtel to bring Foxtel content to your TV through Xbox LIVE, including channels like Nickelodeon, FOX Sports, Discovery, Disney, MTV, and more. This partnership will also provide video-on-demand services, including television and movies. For the first time, Foxtel customers will be able to access their content without a set-top box!

And here’s the full media release in all its glory:

FOXTEL and Microsoft today announced a new partnership offering Australians a brand new way of receiving FOXTEL – over the internet and direct to television sets through Xbox 360’s online service Xbox LIVE.

FOXTEL by Xbox LIVE will allow Xbox 360 owners in Australia to access FOXTEL channels including FOX Sports, Discovery, Nickelodeon, Disney, MTV, and other leading channels via their Xbox 360 entertainment console.

FOXTEL by Xbox LIVE will also provide a wide range of Video-on-Demand (VoD) services, including television series and movies. When the ground-breaking service launches later this year it will enable Australians, for the first time, to access FOXTEL without the need for a FOXTEL set-top-box.

FOXTEL by Xbox LIVE will be accessible in FOXTEL areas across Australia to all homes with a broadband internet connection. All you need is an Xbox 360, an Xbox Gold subscription and a FOXTEL by Xbox LIVE subscription.

The agreement brings together two of Australia’s most recognised and respected brands combining each company’s profound entertainment and consumer offerings. FOXTEL by Xbox LIVE provides Australians a new way of enjoying FOXTEL, and cements Xbox 360 as one of this country’s leading innovative social entertainment platforms. Xbox LIVE connects more than 23 million people across 26 countries to an ever-expanding world of games, movies, TV, music, sport and social entertainment.

FOXTEL Chief Executive and Managing Director, Kim Williams AM said, “This is a very exciting new frontier. FOXTEL by Xbox LIVE will provide our 1.6 million subscribing households, as well as new customers, a transformative way of receiving and enjoying FOXTEL over the internet. We will offer FOXTEL by Xbox LIVE with various packages and prices and under flexible agreements. It is an exciting new way of exploring FOXTEL’s universe of content for a new generation of customers.”

David McLean, Head of Entertainment and Devices, Microsoft Australia said, “The strategic partnership with FOXTEL builds on our great range of entertainment offerings. We are proud of the new interactive entertainment experiences we continue to deliver to our customers and have no doubt that 2010 will be an exciting year for Xbox.”

“As we approach one million Xbox 360’s sold in Australia, we are looking forward to our customers having the opportunity to receive FOXTEL by Xbox LIVE. Last year alone, Australians spent more than 106 million hours on Xbox LIVE including gaming and social networking. With this FOXTEL partnership, there are more reasons than ever to connect your Xbox 360 to our online service,” said McLean.

Kim Williams added, “This significant partnership is true to our heritage of investing and innovating for customers who embrace new technology and content developments. With at least 30 live channels and a wide suite of Video on Demand services, delivered over the internet via Xbox LIVE, no other television service comes close to this revolutionary new IP offering, so that once again FOXTEL is at the fore-front – a natural home for us.”

The agreement between Microsoft and FOXTEL is one of the first of its type in the world, joining partnerships between Microsoft and BSkyB in the UK and Microsoft and CANAL+ in France.

Microsoft and FOXTEL are working together to launch the FOXTEL service on Xbox LIVE towards the end of the calendar year. Packages and prices, the full channel line-up, and further product details will be released publicly closer to the service launch.

From here!

All we need now are ISPs that offer unmetred Xbox Live like some offer unmetered Tivo.

Xbox's movie service (Zune) isn't uncluded in iinet's Freezon unfortunately. Will be interesting to see if iinet allow FOXTEL for free. An idea on the pricing might have been handy <_<

Edited by ajm

If iinet does, it may be free to the subscriber, but I bet Foxtel will be contributing to iinet's carriage costs. Still its good to see things moving ahead in the internet television arena. These continual developments must be making some people feel decidedly sheepish.

If iinet does, it may be free to the subscriber, but I bet Foxtel will be contributing to iinet's carriage costs. Still its good to see things moving ahead in the internet television arena. These continual developments must be making some people feel decidedly sheepish.

I would imagine it's making the FTA channels very nervous. The major sticking points are still going to be bandwidth, download quotas and the cost of using these services. If these things were attractively priced and downloads unmetered then I can't how they can fail to be honest. Currently though, MS and Sony are offering less and asking more for the privilege - something people might try out of curiosity but hardly something that you'd fall over yourself to use.

An 'internet' TV service could also cater to niche markets easily. There is a thread where people are asking about NBA channels. It wouldn't suit broadcast models such as FTA and Foxtel (standard DVB-s type) but IPTV may just be the perfect match.

Edited by DrP

I would imagine it's making the FTA channels very nervous. The major sticking points are still going to be bandwidth, download quotas and the cost of using these services. If these things were attractively priced and downloads unmetered then I can't how they can fail to be honest. Currently though, MS and Sony are offering less and asking more for the privilege - something people might try out of curiosity but hardly something that you'd fall over yourself to use.

Technically Sony arent asking anything for that privilege, at least at the moment. When that stupid premium service is released, then that statement will be true. Although for that nothing you get nothing (bar online play and the ability to get demos the same time as other people on the PSN).

Surely, SURELY, Bigpond would have to be an unmetered carrier - if not, another prime example of Telstra cutting off their nose to spite their face

Technically Sony arent asking anything for that privilege, at least at the moment. When that stupid premium service is released, then that statement will be true. Although for that nothing you get nothing (bar online play and the ability to get demos the same time as other people on the PSN).

Surely, SURELY, Bigpond would have to be an unmetered carrier - if not, another prime example of Telstra cutting off their nose to spite their face

Yeah that's true of the online services but I was referring to their new movie rental/purchase service. You get movies that you cannot resell or lend and you pay the absolute top rate for them.

Given Telstras several attempts at TV over its broadband services and that it offers various clips etc for viewing via the internet it must surely be a given that Bigpond will be 'in on the deal'.

Yeah that's true of the online services but I was referring to their new movie rental/purchase service. You get movies that you cannot resell or lend and you pay the absolute top rate for them.

Oh that service... oh god then yes I agree with you. The price gouging on the PSN movie network is crazy - dont forget DRM filled too. I dont check out the MS one, so I dont know the prices (I havent used my 360 in a while, although plan to once I get Alan Wake)

If Bigpond is not in on the deal, then shareholders should demand action from their board. However, if Bigpond was in on the deal, I'd imagine that'd want exclusivity

Given Telstras several attempts at TV over its broadband services and that it offers various clips etc for viewing via the internet it must surely be a given that Bigpond will be 'in on the deal'.

Eeek! I hadn't even considered the Telstra factor in this! Expect high prices, and packages designed to divide up all the popular channels so you almost have to subscribe to the premium package to make it worthwhile.

Maybe, maybe not. Telstra was trying to distance itself from Foxtel not too long ago (for one reason or another). IPTV has the potential to pick up the domestic television business by the scruff of its neck and shake it about a bit. Let's sit back and watch what happens.

IMO 1500 wouldn't be fast enough for live viewing, unless the picture quality is substandard or the picture dimensions are reduced, with MPEG-4 AVC (or equiv). There would have to be some sort of buffering going on, possibly a 10 minute lead in period before the picture starts.

iinet, Internode etc have made announcements WRT 'IPTV' on their own private networks, but AFAIK Internode has not made any announcements regarding carriage over Telstra and Optus' wholesale ADSL networks, with a major factor for the Telstra network being Telstra's exorbitant access fees.

I would expect iinet would be one of those mentioned "unmetered" ISPs given their current relationship with MS. At the end of the day for this to be successful it has to be free traffic given you're already paying for the subscription.

This is good news for me though. I refuse to buy Foxtel as I'd only use it for sports such as the football premiership and six nations rugby (I am welsh...). I dont need all the other rubbish and I dont need an IQ box either. This should suit my needs almost perfectly. Lets hope the pricing is right.

I would expect iinet would be one of those mentioned "unmetered" ISPs given their current relationship with MS. At the end of the day for this to be successful it has to be free traffic given you're already paying for the subscription.

This is good news for me though. I refuse to buy Foxtel as I'd only use it for sports such as the football premiership and six nations rugby (I am welsh...). I dont need all the other rubbish and I dont need an IQ box either. This should suit my needs almost perfectly. Lets hope the pricing is right.

You might be ok, but for people who like NRL and AFL, they might not be so lucky:

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2010/05/foxtel...-xbox-live.html

Importantly: NRL and AFL will not be included under the current sports contracts.

Also says for Foxtel areas only, not whole of Australia. No deal with Austar yet.

Looks like a bastardised version of Fox Sports will be available... (or if they rebroadcast the three channels then there will be blackouts when those events are on)

EDIT: Just realised why - Telstra is the internet rights holder for them. So I would think Telstra Bigpond is NOT one of the two ISPs mentioned

Edited by DansDans

As a Foxtel subscriber, all I can say is, Don't bother. Your bandwidth, if not free, will be eaten away by constant advertising. Even when you do find something worth watching, it is constantly interupted by adds, sometimes 7-10 adds per break.

Im rather looking forward to this, I hate the idea of being forced to rent a FoxBox and would luv to have foxtel streamed to my 2 Xbox360's over the net (assuming my ISP will un-meter it as they have no competing product of their own).

I would happily pay $30 per Month for Xbox1 and another $10 per month for Xbox2 - I currently do have Gold Live membership on my Gaming account.

I've used the Xune Video Marketplace on my 360 to watch movies a few times and have been very impressed with the quality - once the NBN becomes widely available this sort of service will only get better, especially if VPN's get used to seperate IPTV from general Internet data.