Media Player With Nas And More

Hi All,

Im looking for a media player that...

-Has NAS support (wireless and/or wired)

-Has a BT client

-Either storage via an inbuilt HDD or USB HDD

-Be able to stream to my PS3

-Hopefully be under $200

-Support for HD codecs

-HDMI out

Ive looked around and the the only options I can find are...

Buffalo LinkStation Pro LS-XHL - Seems to do all of the above but reviews are hard to come by. Support /firmware updates?

Astone Media Gear AP-300 - Upnp streaming seems hit and miss, no BT client

Noontec V8 -no upnp? or poor upnp? Poor support/firmware updates

Any suggestions? Would love to hear from people who either have these or have something different.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PCH is close.

Not sure about the streaming to PS3.

But hooked to the AVR it's fine.

ie, All the other bases are covered.

I take it your talking about the popcorn hour....and your right that does look good, but a bit over budget.

thanks.

Thanks for the link Peter I have checked out that site before but ended up getting a bit overwhelmed with all the options. There is a lot there to go through and read the fine print to see what each product actually does.

Ive considered the nettop/pc option but a dedicated media player may be better in the home theater.

Thanks for the link Peter I have checked out that site before but ended up getting a bit overwhelmed with all the options. There is a lot there to go through and read the fine print to see what each product actually does.

Ive considered the nettop/pc option but a dedicated media player may be better in the home theater.

XBMC live gives you the dedication.

B

Do you have a PC already.

Just stream from that.

yea we have 2 laptops in the house, streaming used to be ok with them but now (as they are getting old) the streaming is shocking.

Plus the laptops dont like being on all the time.

yea we have 2 laptops in the house, streaming used to be ok with them but now (as they are getting old) the streaming is shocking.

Plus the laptops dont like being on all the time.

Even wired?

Maybe it's time to upgrade the laptops. LOL.

Well you don't listen all the time do you?

On the same vane, I actually turn the power off on my PCH when it is not in use as the 750 Gbyte HDD makes a bit of noise even in standby mode. So turning the PC on and off doesn't seem that much different.

A NAS is nice but it's a luxury too.

Have you seen these cooling mats that are supposed keep laptops cool?

try this on for size....this will be my next purchase with the wireless dongle...with support for 3 usb hosts, wireless and 2Tb of storage what else do you need plugged into all your AV gear

http://go.iomega.com/en/products/multimedi...verviewItem_tab

Looks good but no BT support, Looks like im going to have to study the site that Peter suggested tonight (maybe have to up my budget)

Cheers

Even wired?

Maybe it's time to upgrade the laptops. LOL.

Well you don't listen all the time do you?

On the same vane, I actually turn the power off on my PCH when it is not in use as the 750 Gbyte HDD makes a bit of noise even in standby mode. So turning the PC on and off doesn't seem that much different.

A NAS is nice but it's a luxury too.

Have you seen these cooling mats that are supposed keep laptops cool?

Wired its ok but with a lappie or PC there are too many wires. as I would have....

Power Cord

USB HDD

Video out (no HDMI on my laptop)

Audio Out

USB IR out

LAN connected

This would all look ugly in the AV cabinet!

IMHO the combined NAS / media player devices are all pretty flawed in one way or another.

I reckon you're better off with two devices:

1. A low cost / low power USB NAS that runs a Linux variant. Put your BT on that along with media sharing software, SMB sharing for the laptops.

2. A low cost / simple media player that has no local storage because frankly you don't need it. What you need is connectivity (audio/video plugs plus an ethernet wired port. forget wireless for video).

You aren't going to get it for $200 - you have to spend at least $100 for the Terabyte hard drive that does the storage in the first place.

The upside of splitting up the functions is that access to files from the laptops is made much easier, your server functions are much easier to control and completely seperate from the media playback functions, and you can use the NAS for more than just media (like recording TV using a dongle for example, or a local web proxy for your kids).

The downside: it's a bit harder to set up.

I think a NAS or a low power consumption home server on 24/7 is basically indispensable. At least it is to us.

Byron you have made me stop and think (which is not always a good thing).

Maybe it would be better to get a HDD enclosure with BT and Upnp and stream that to my ps3 and an old xbox running XBMC.

Can you suggest anywhere to learn more about running XBMC?

Edit: Drubie I just read your post and I think your on the money there. Now to find the right NAS/Server.....

Edited by franga

Suggest you search on XBMC - use advanced options titles only.

There are heaps of threads here.

Also GOOGLE

http://xbmc.org/

Cheers will do..

On my hunt for a streaming nas device I may have found what I was after from the start....

http://egreataustralia.com.au/

or

http://www.xtreamer.com.au/

Ill do some more study on these and post the findings later....

Edited by franga

Cheers will do..

On my hunt for a streaming nas device I may have found what I was after from the start....

http://egreataustralia.com.au/

or

http://www.xtreamer.com.au/

Ill do some more study on these and post the findings later....

Be aware that with media players the NAS function is secondary and performance wise no where up to dedicated NAS box performance. However if you want to stream files from it should be OK. I would be wary of Xtreamer products as they promise far more than they can deliver so do your research, I sold mine due to continual problems. Egreat I cannot comment on as I have no experience with their products although I do have an Egreat R3 on order. Astone products are bare bones but in the main work although like all media players people do have problems with them but in general I am happy with my Astone players I have.

Be aware that with media players the NAS function is secondary and performance wise no where up to dedicated NAS box performance. However if you want to stream files from it should be OK. I would be wary of Xtreamer products as they promise far more than they can deliver so do your research, I sold mine due to continual problems. Egreat I cannot comment on as I have no experience with their products although I do have an Egreat R3 on order. Astone products are bare bones but in the main work although like all media players people do have problems with them but in general I am happy with my Astone players I have.

Can I ask what problems you had (and what firmware you were running)?. I have read they do seem to rush firmware out and usually causes more problems than it fixes.

They do have a new model out which supports HD audio and has no fan (which takes care of many of the complaints). I do like the fact that the xtreamer community seems strong so there is a lot of support and mods for the system.

Im currently doing some more research on the egreat. They look good and strong but alot of the user feedback seem to be from last year....need to find more current reviews.

Xtreamer have spent a shed load on their website. Not sure if they've spent as much on the dev team.

I've been reasonably happy with mine but it's a long way from what was promised. It's stable and reliable but the feature I really wanted was HD audio pass-through which is now off the to-do list <_<

The new device doesn't seem to include HD audio pass-through either - the specs say Doby TrueHD downmix which is not much of an improvement. edit - just checked the specs a little closer and it looks like TrueHD pass-through is included but DTSHD(MA) "will be announced in firmware update". After being strung along for months with the same promise on the original Xtreamer, I'd be inclined to take that with a grain of salt.

Edited by ajm

Astone 110d will act as both media player and nas (although I have not used the nas function). For around $100 you cant go too far wrong. It's fanless. plays just about anything you can throw at it (up to 1080p), operates wired ethernet or wireless (with appropriate dongle - although would not recommend wirless for HD streaming solution). It is quite basic in operation but should meet most of your requirements (no bit torrent client or internal HD).

It seems the problem with the older model xtreamers was the realtek chip (as all other media player with this chip could not pass the HD audio). The new chip will do HD audio........tho the people at xtreamers will have to enable it.

I do love the look of the new GUI.....well worth a look.

check it out here on the xtreamer Pro http://forum.xtreamer.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14952

I do like the look of the 110d but I dont think it will stream to my PS3......PLEASE correct me if im wrong