Positioning In-ceiling Outdoor Speakers

Planning to install in-ceiling out door speakers in the Alfresco of the new house.

It is a 4.1 x 8-metre area.

Any thoughts on where they should be positioned?

I thought maybe 1-metre from each end and about 1-metre from the house?

Not sure how much stereo one gets from outdoor speakers or even if iy is worth worrying about?

Planning to install in-ceiling out door speakers in the Alfresco of the new house.

It is a 4.1 x 8-metre area.

Any thoughts on where they should be positioned?

I thought maybe 1-metre from each end and about 1-metre from the house?

Not sure how much stereo one gets from outdoor speakers or even if iy is worth worrying about?

There are 2 main things I normally consider when installing in-ceiling outdoor speakers.

Firstly the position of other fixtures.... lights/fans etc. I normally find that looking good is the first priority (mainly with the wives!!).

Secondly the listening position. You don't want to separate the 2 speakers too much or you will lose the stereo sound and only ever be hearing one speaker at a time. In your case i would probably bring them in 1.5/2m from either end, thus giving you 4/5m separation.

Obviously you need to take into account where you will be sitting when listening, but remember it is an outdoor area so it's mainly going to be background music and you wont always be facing the same way; ie left and right will be reversed. Also you will have to work in with your frame work!

AV-R

www.av-r.com.au

There are 2 main things I normally consider when installing in-ceiling outdoor speakers.

Firstly the position of other fixtures.... lights/fans etc. I normally find that looking good is the first priority (mainly with the wives!!).

Secondly the listening position. You don't want to separate the 2 speakers too much or you will lose the stereo sound and only ever be hearing one speaker at a time. In your case i would probably bring them in 1.5/2m from either end, thus giving you 4/5m separation.

Obviously you need to take into account where you will be sitting when listening, but remember it is an outdoor area so it's mainly going to be background music and you wont always be facing the same way; ie left and right will be reversed. Also you will have to work in with your frame work!

AV-R

www.av-r.com.au

Good points. Thanks for the feedback.

No lights to worry about.

They are on the walls and pillars.

Lyle

what speakers are you installing? Some have the ability to be swiveled, so directing the sound towards a particular area. Others (most) just face downwards. If yours swivel, think about that aspect as well. You might be able to get more volume towards one area and less towards another. Might be handy.

Benje

Lyle

what speakers are you installing? Some have the ability to be swiveled, so directing the sound towards a particular area. Others (most) just face downwards. If yours swivel, think about that aspect as well. You might be able to get more volume towards one area and less towards another. Might be handy.

Benje

I was thinking of going with a recommendation from Uncle Steve.

Best in-ceilings are Opus-1's at $199 pair for the 6.5" or $299 for the 8"

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=C0855

I went with the 8".

I was consider Focals but that seemed to be overkill for outside.

Thanks for the heads up Lyle, directional tweeter ceiling speakers have been mentioned too, has anyone got thier hands on some good and well priced models?

I have some Yamaha speakers I just put on the patio ceiling. I paid $150 for them off the net, cant remember the site. They have directional tweeters and I am very happy with them. My only problem is that I am using them as speakers B with my Denon AVR890 and most of the bass still goes to the subs in HT room. But they still do sound nice. I would have preffered to have had them diagonally opposed to each other so that the sound would naturally saturate the lisentening area rather than be on one side of the patio. Because I can move where the tweeter face though, it kind of has beaten this problem. However I could not install them diagonally because I had a truss running down one side of the patio in the roof.

Sten

Thanks for the heads up Lyle, directional tweeter ceiling speakers have been mentioned too, has anyone got thier hands on some good and well priced models?
The Focals have this. Pricing in the current climate is unknown.

Guest dfav

Hi with in-ceiling speakers, think of them as down lights.

the distance and coverage works like a pyramid cone. the higher the ceiling the larger the area they will cover.

If you are putting a pair in a 4x8m ish area then work off the most middle point of the area where you sit. then work off a lets say 120 degree coverage to the floor then go from there.

Although sounds do travel, but with this in-mind you would get all freq's to performed to your ears like they intended to.

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

I need some advice in setting up an outdoor system for my Uncle. He has a very large outdoor area and I want to put 4 pair of speakers (8 total) located in various areas. Anyone have any ideas? About store from where I can get cheap & best speakers with manual installation guide.