Graphics Card With Vga Port On The Inside

I'm trying to find a motherboard with onboard graphics, or a graphics card with the VGA port on the card itself (and not on the outside the box, like all cards)...

Anybody knows of one?

Or failing that, how easy/hard is it to mod an existing graphics card so that I can plug a VGA cable internally?

Am thinking of getting a new HTPC case with VGA screen, but only if the above problem can be solved some how..

Thanks in advance.

Edited by treblid

Shouldn't be too hard. I believe motherboards that have the on board VGA connection in days gone by also provide the standard metal back plate with the actual plug. You connect a (supplied) ribbon between the two. Here's a motherboard like that. Note it has a 1 VGA internal connection ribbon.

Edit: Actually stumbled across FrontX looks just like what you need.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

Shouldn't be too hard. I believe motherboards that have the on board VGA connection in days gone by also provide the standard metal back plate with the actual plug. You connect a (supplied) ribbon between the two. Here's a motherboard like that. Note it has a 1 VGA internal connection ribbon.

Wow.. A whole weekend of googling, solved by you in minutes.. Kudos!

Thanks. Much appreciated!

That frontX is prob not what I need.. Or do I need it? Hmm.. Still deciding on the parts I need..

Couldn't you just plug it into the rear VGA port and then bring the cable straight back in again through one of the empty PCI bracket covers?

Not quite as neat, but would work ok.

Couldn't you just plug it into the rear VGA port and then bring the cable straight back in again through one of the empty PCI bracket covers?

Not quite as neat, but would work ok.

Ugly.. :blush: Want to keep everything in box.... :blush:

Still trying to find a motherboard though (Something that works with Intel Chips).. The M4n78 pro or something don't have an internal VGA header... Juz reading the specs give me headaches :(...

Have a look at these graphics cards: you can usually see the VGA port at the top on a ribbon cable if they have them (usually in the cheaper models). Something like this for about $45, or this for about $61 might do the trick if you already have a mainboard.

What capabilities do you require of the mainboard or graphics card? What Intel chip support is required?

Have a look at these graphics cards: you can usually see the VGA port at the top on a ribbon cable if they have them (usually in the cheaper models). Something like this for about $45, or this for about $61 might do the trick if you already have a mainboard.

That's a good idea! I love this forum!! :lol:

What capabilities do you require of the mainboard or graphics card? What Intel chip support is required?

Graphics card needs to be fanless, mainboard needs to be well sheilded against noise (I know getting a case with a LCD monitor is probably counter intuitive to this goal :P).. Basically a HTPC build really..

The reason for the intel CPU Is just for consistency sake (as all my CPUs at home are Intel).

Graphics card needs to be fanless, mainboard needs to be well sheilded against noise (I know getting a case with a LCD monitor is probably counter intuitive to this goal :P).. Basically a HTPC build really..

The reason for the intel CPU Is just for consistency sake (as all my CPUs at home are Intel).

The latest ASUS 8400GS is about the cheapest card, is fanless and can do H.264 and VC-1 decoding completely via the GPU. It doesn't have HDMI audio capability though, is not that good for gaming and availability is questionable. I expect the VGA connector can be removed from the backplate and used internally with a standard VGA cable, rather than trying to match ribbon cable pins.

However, I'm not sure if Nvidia can run different resolutions to VGA and DVI.

With GPU decoding, a less powerful CPU is adequate unless you wish to do major software decoding or filtering.

I ask about the Intel CPU requirement as older 775 CPU's would be adequate if you can still get them, otherwise its a completely different ballgame with the latest Intel chips.

Have you considered an Ion HTPC?

Personally, I think a media player makes more sense for simply playing back HD unless you want to perform specific filtering.

I ask about the Intel CPU requirement as older 775 CPU's would be adequate if you can still get them, otherwise its a completely different ballgame with the latest Intel chips.

Have you considered an Ion HTPC?

Personally, I think a media player makes more sense for simply playing back HD unless you want to perform specific filtering.

U read my mind!! I do have a Ion machine at the back of my head (Esp those ready to use ones from MSI and Asus with screen), but 775 is preferred as I can always re-purpose them at a later stage (shops ran out of 775 chips already?)... I havn't been looking up prices as yet as I'm still waiting for other things to come together first before I start this build..

The idea for my next HTPC is a just a music player (no video playback) in a setup with no other display - hence the possibility for a case with a built in LCD, and the point of this thread, finding a way to connect the LCD on the inside of the case). What new name to give it? StereoPC, TCPC (Two Channel PC).?

Becoz it'd just do music (and internet radio), processing powers is not important. I thought cutting out video will make it simpler, but there are other issues still on my mind. Several other things I'm considering atm:

1# Pure digital source with an external DAC, or an all in one (with digital input). I am out of touch with the sound cards that are available now (be it PCI, PCIe or USB) or the kind of DACs that's out there.

2# Case with LCD a great idea? PC is inherently noisy and having a LCD will just make it worse. Maybe I'm better off with a clean PC case (No LCD/VFD - Found out that VFD can be noisy too) and find a case that supports 2 PSUs (Somebody on AVS said 1 PSU to power the motherboard, and a 2nd PSU to power the peripherals will somehow fix the noise issue). Build or get those Ion machines with screen (my issue is they're too big :(). ATM I am strongly for a case with a built in LCD (esp now seeing how easy it actually is to keep the cables neat inside the case.).

3# Forget the build and just get a off the shelf media player like the SqueezeBox Duet, transporter etc. But really I'd prefer to build my own (and run linux if possible) then an off the shelf product...

Sorry for the blabbering nonsense.. Prob too early in the morning for me to post such a long winded reply. Any comments appreciated.

3# Forget the build and just get a off the shelf media player like the SqueezeBox Duet, transporter etc. But really I'd prefer to build my own (and run linux if possible) then an off the shelf product...

If it's a 2 channel source you're after - I'd totally go the above route - although using a squeezebox touch, rather than a duet (although the portability of the duet controller is nice). Anyway, the Touch has your LCD screen which makes for navigating your music library easy - otherwise you have to replicate this functionality in your own pc and that brings with it software issues as well as the noise issues associated with installing a monitor in your pc case.

Anyway, given that Squeezebox requires a server, you can still build a pc - go with an Ion nettop (or whatever they're calling them), or an Atom based solution is whack a linux server type distro on it. I've been using ClarkConnect (now called ClearOS apparently) and that's been working well (on a 666mhz celeron, no less - serving 4 squeezebox players and also doing video file serving). But you could look into Vortexbox, as well - this is a squeezebox dedicated distro - I've been looking into replacing my now very aged server with an Atom system and this would probably be my first choice for software now (followed by ClearOS, I think, or a server install of Ubuntu, but ClearOS and Vortexbox have nice web-based interfaces for managing them).

If it's a 2 channel source you're after - I'd totally go the above route - although using a squeezebox touch, rather than a duet (although the portability of the duet controller is nice). Anyway, the Touch has your LCD screen which makes for navigating your music library easy - otherwise you have to replicate this functionality in your own pc and that brings with it software issues as well as the noise issues associated with installing a monitor in your pc case.

Agreed.. I've tried the Duet at mcb's place, and TBH I love it.. Forgot to ask him if that remote can become a universal remote though (prob I can check up the specs). I wonder if a future harmony remote will have SB integration...

Software issues I hope I can handle :P (problems are fun).. As for noise, it's just a concern I have (may or may not manifest in the actual build).. And atm my plan is a 2.0 setup, so the noise I experienced in the past will not be a problem... But I'm not sure if a noisy PC is such a good thing at all (hence the exploration of an external DAC).

Anyway, given that Squeezebox requires a server, you can still build a pc - go with an Ion nettop (or whatever they're calling them), or an Atom based solution is whack a linux server type distro on it. I've been using ClarkConnect (now called ClearOS apparently) and that's been working well (on a 666mhz celeron, no less - serving 4 squeezebox players and also doing video file serving). But you could look into Vortexbox, as well - this is a squeezebox dedicated distro - I've been looking into replacing my now very aged server with an Atom system and this would probably be my first choice for software now (followed by ClearOS, I think, or a server install of Ubuntu, but ClearOS and Vortexbox have nice web-based interfaces for managing them).

I heard (but yet to confirm) there's a SB module for my NAS (Thecus)... More food for thought I guess... Off the shelf options are attractive, just unsure if it's what I want.. (esp Touch seems to be out of stock).. OTOH customise a PC for 2 channel playback is fun.. Assuming nobody else here has done it already?

Another option I did think of is using WDTV Live and an external DAC (and find a small LCD screen somehow/somewhere).. But alas WDTV Live stock firmware don't seem to have something I can control remotely... And then i start wondering if I can find a HDMI->coax cable.

• 3 weeks later...

OK.. Slight change of direction :P... Forget VGA.

Anybody knows how to make a motherboard boot without a video card? Pretty sure it's possible as in the old days I have a machine without a video card. I'd google this later this weekend, but would appreciate if somebody already knows how.

Also, I have this Chaintec AV-710... And the Creative Audigy (hopefully I still have that somewhere).. Anybody knows how to tap the i2s output? I tried googling, and found Diyaudio.com, but not sure if there's any instructions left.. :(

I wonder, if it's possible, to get a HDMI cable, and then tap the i2s output off the audio chip, and into a DAC, say the W4S DAC-2.

Possible? Thoughts? Comments?

Possible? Thoughts? Comments?
Why not just put in some $10 VGA Video Card and boot? Nothing to say you need to plug it into a monitor? Also most MBs now have on board VGA anyway?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

Why not just put in some $10 VGA Video Card and boot? Nothing to say you need to plug it into a monitor? Also most MBs now have on board VGA anyway?

Back when I was troubleshooting my ground loop problem. I noticed the noise when it goes into high res video (whether connected to a monitor or not)... But no noise in text mode. So will really be trying to go without VGA... I guess if I have to, that will be the solution.. But don't really want it sitting there generating heat, blocking airflow when I don't intend to use it at all. Onboard is another possibility but most m/b with on board video aren't really of good build quality.

Some motherboards can do it, but most don't (my problem is I don't have a list).. And AFAIK I can't find a list on google (but then I may not be using the right search terms)...

Wondering if it's possible to build a fanless machine, with a SSD HDD (or remote boot), no video card, just a network card (maybe a card reader). And I control it via a tablet PC (use WOL to turn on the machine, and then juz use the tablet to remote access and control)...

iPad will be nice, but I guess I couldn't really justify that for now (seeing I'm not familiar anything apple).

Stream music, internet radio, maybe DAB+. Effectively a DIY version of a Transporter or the Marantz player.

Anybody knows how to make a motherboard boot without a video card? Pretty sure it's possible as in the old days I have a machine without a video card. I'd google this later this weekend, but would appreciate if somebody already knows how.

What model MB is it? It's possible that there's a bios setting that will allow you to boot regardless of any errors (like no video output). I know I've set my server MB to ignore the no keyboard error, maybe there's something similar on yours? it's a bit of a problem though, as you'll need to have it plugged into a monitor to set it, and that will require installing a video card...

What model MB is it? It's possible that there's a bios setting that will allow you to boot regardless of any errors (like no video output). I know I've set my server MB to ignore the no keyboard error, maybe there's something similar on yours? it's a bit of a problem though, as you'll need to have it plugged into a monitor to set it, and that will require installing a video card...

No motherboard yet.. Tried that before actually.. Didn't work for me... Looking for a new one now.. One that don't give me 8 beeps when it can't detect graphics. Don't really want to go server MB if possible. Might be overkill...

But you just gave me an idea though.. Could be an intel "feature". My last few computers are all in that long list.. :rolleyes: D'oh. Hope AMD don't make this mistake...

Hopefully i'd get somewhere with this .. :) Thanks! Much appreciated....

Edit: I wonder if any AMD owners with a recent board out there can unplug their video card and see if it boots? :ninja: And if you hear only 1 beep. What's the model of ur m/b? :D

Edited by treblid

Asus 5PQ series apparently allow boot without graphics card:

http://event.asus.com/mb/p5q/

You could always consider water cooling as an option to fan cooling. But these days its not hard to find a basically silent fan if you're not planning on running a 3D gaming rig.

Not sure if I understand your project but why not get the cheap card and force it into low res. Why would it ever need to go into high res mode if you're not using it?

In practical terms "generating heat, blocking airflow " etc. is probably about a 2% effect by putting in a cheap VGA card.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Asus 5PQ series apparently allow boot without graphics card:

http://event.asus.com/mb/p5q/

Is that a new board or old board? Where is it that mention that it can boot without a graphics card?

MSY is listed but they don't sell that anymore. Another place in WA is slimline (will check).

You could always consider water cooling as an option to fan cooling. But these days its not hard to find a basically silent fan if you're not planning on running a 3D gaming rig.

Prob not water cooling for now... Me and water don't mix very well :ninja:.. And the W/C could be noisy.

Not sure if I understand your project but why not get the cheap card and force it into low res. Why would it ever need to go into high res mode if you're not using it?

In practical terms "generating heat, blocking airflow " etc. is probably about a 2% effect by putting in a cheap VGA card.

Should clarify . by high/low res I mean text/graphics mode... In normal 80x25 text mode, no noise.. Any graphics mode = noise interference (could be a Nvidia problem?)... If there's no other way, yar I can add a video card no probs.. But just hoping I can do without :P (coz I can do it before, just wondering why I can't do it now? Anti-trust suit looming? Secret agreement with m/b chipset makers and gfx chip makers?).

This project I hope to do is to build a streaming music player. Mk1 is based on SB Touch (hence I was looking for a case with touchscreen LCD).

Mk2 (present plan) is just a simple case, a motherboard, a CPU, a fanless heatsink, a fanless PSU, a network card, bare minimum, no display, no remote (everything is controlled via remote access)...

Edit:

Mk2+ (bonus).. If can somehow extract raw I2S and feed that to my DAC (DacMagic). or failing that, feed it to another DAC that does I2S input...

ATM, I think I have 3 cards - Asus Xonar Slim, Chaintech AV-710, Creative Audigy (hopefully).. I think all 3 audio chips uses I2S... Sounds like a fun experiment in trying to blow things up....

Edited by treblid

Is that a new board or old board? Where is it that mention that it can boot without a graphics card
Just a forum post on someone who said they had a card that allowed it to boot up that way. You're right that its not something listed in standard specs.

Not sure why you think on video board chips are indicative of cheap boards? Plenty of pricey models with that feature.

You could also look to put this box in a cupboard somewhere. Wouldn't matter what noise it made then...

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Just a forum post on someone who said they had a card that allowed it to boot up that way. You're right that its not something listed in standard specs.

I wonder why? :huh: I would think that'd useful info to know.. e.g. what if people want to build a NAS, and want to go headless... etc, etc.

Not sure why you think on video board chips are indicative of cheap boards? Plenty of pricey models with that feature.

I prob didn't say cheap? I always like cheap, esp if it's of good quality... :P

My primary reason for not having video at all is really to aim for as little interference as possible.

You could also look to put this box in a cupboard somewhere. Wouldn't matter what noise it made then...

Sorry again. I didn't really clarify this better (as I was donig something atm). When I say there's no noise in text mode and noise in graphics mode.. I mean something is somehow leaking a singal into the digital audio, creating some noise that comes out my speakers (e.g. if my GPU is under heavy load, if my HDD is writing, I hear noises from the speakers)....

I've since fixed that by breaking the ground loop.. But I wonder, if I don't have a GPU, or a HDD (maybe a SSD), or a VFD/LCD.. Wouldn't it be better?

if I tap the audio chip directly and get the I2S, instead of that being converted to S/PDIF, wouldn't that be better?

Am I thinking too much? :lol: