Component Video Banned On Blu-ray Players After 2010

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

plain silly if you ask me, for a new format if they want some take up from the late adopters, theyre going to be finding its a case cut of your nose to spite your face. A lot of late adopters and others not on the cutting edge still have displays and projectors without hdmi capability. post dec 31 its goign to leave them by the way side. on the other hand will be a boon for the makers of the cheapo player who no doubt will carry on regardless. and also create a bit of a market for current players with full analog capability.

I wonder if this will lead to banning of players with analog audio outputs as well, seing as they are seemingly frowning on analog connections !

It stinks pheggie . All about forcing the consumer to adopt drm aacs for Hollywood when that bird has already flown <_< Yes apparently we are all pirates and cant be trusted .. I think it should be mandatory for those discs that will cripple component out be advertised on the slip case as such ; but that wont happen ;)

I think such people are still taking a very short view of BluRay/HDMI. The industry no doubt has taken a very long view in implementing a gradual shut out of piracy this time around. Instead of just developing some new copy protection technique (which anyone can generally quite legally circumnavigate) and putting it on machines that no one bought because they had said protection they've taken a much broader approach, which is now just beginning to squeeze.

The technology was moved to hardware, not software.

Second they have pretty much "allowed" copying of material lulling consumers into buying units and gaining critical mass. This copying will

Units will also be able to be told retrospectively no play cracked versions

But most critically they've change they laws in several countries (including Oz) so that importers or sellers of illegal "el chepo's" can be fined and shut down now.

We should keep in mind that the industry has no problem with a 5% piracy rate. Its the equivalent of shoplifting and legit consumers just pay the impost. What they can't sustain (or pass the cost on to the legit consumers) is a much higher piracy rate.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

mmmm ONE CABLE TO RULE THEM ALL.

That may damage your equipment if accidentally disconnected whilst powered.

It wouldn't be so bad if the HDMI design was physically robust, but it isn't. Even blind freddy could have seen the need for a locking mechanism or live voltage protection.

Hmmm: one class action suit to slay them all!

napalm68, who will be affected? Well I can think

Attempting to reduce the issue in such a way is clea

Troll on, Troll off.

Since the trolls now appear to be moving in, here's a troll from the past.

HDCP is designed to ensure the content is viewed undamaged. Its not a copy protection system.

Anyone recall that one from a few years ago? :lol:

I know of quite a few HT owners that will be affected by this needless and fruitless change which will not prevent piracy at all since no one 'rips' a disc by recording the analogue output of a player. People that have set up HTs with component cabling, to avoid the mess that is HDMI, will have to do a rewire should their BD player fail.

Wonderful.

Edited by DrP

I did a search but couldn't find the link but i remember last Year someone posting EU specs for HD content and component was included,it must only be compulsory for TV/Displays if they're removing it from BD players.???

Actually, if you go back to the bad old days of the format war circa 2005/6. This was always proposed but not implemented by the Bluray consortium.

If I remember correctly it was shelved until 2011 to let the format take hold and all the old Analogue input only plasma and rear projection TV's to die.

They obviously beleive that has now happened and are pushing for the implementation of the original spec.

This was always part of the bluray spec

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=7290677

Edited by graham johnson

Anyone personally know of anyone this would affect?... Eg, someone who would be looking at getting into blu ray next year, with a TV with no HDMI?

No? Didn't think so.

I'm on to my 2nd BD player, yet still use a 51 inch CRT TV. HDMI is a disgrace, and I won't be replacing my "working" CRT with a"can't guarantee it will work properly" digital display.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a projector but HDMI is the only thing holding me back. If I purchase one more item that doesn't work properly...well, it would be better if I don't elaborate...anti terrorism n' all. :lol:

I'm on to my 2nd BD player, yet still use a 51 inch CRT TV. HDMI is a disgrace, and I won't be replacing my "working" CRT with a"can't guarantee it will work properly" digital display.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a projector but HDMI is the only thing holding me back. If I purchase one more item that doesn't work properly...well, it would be better if I don't elaborate...anti terrorism n' all. :lol:

I don't get it. Millions of happy HDMI users but still some people have problems? Nevertheless removing component "may" have some effect on me because one of my tvs only has one HDMI input so conceivably i might need a switcher one day or use an older player with it.

I don't get it. Millions of happy HDMI users but still some people have problems? Nevertheless removing component "may" have some effect on me because one of my tvs only has one HDMI input so conceivably i might need a switcher one day or use an older player with it.

I've had nothing but dramas with my Denon 2809 AVR as it has only two HDMI inputs and is very fussy with what it will accept via a switch. Some devices work fine (PS3 fat, the PC, Xbox 360) others have to be plugged in directly (XA1, PS3 slim, Pana BD30). A right royal pain in the arse that I can't afford to fix or work around.

HDMI is not for consumers.

The ghost still around? :lol:

If they remove component, they better reduce the price by 20% as it's cheaper for them to manufacture the CE after this analogue sunset.

I am one very unhappy HDMI user. Not only did the cable blew my AVR when I got it new (on X'mas eve no less!), I have a ground loop problem from the HDMI connection that took me ages to solve.

HDMI is not a digital cable. The connector is flimsy, hard to bend around the rack, and impossible to flex. I challenge any HDMI lover to plug/unplug their HDMI cables with everything on.. Or try fitting it with the cable wrong way up. Granted all manuals said connections should be made with everything off, but I never had issues like that with any other A/V cables... :angry:

If anything HDMI killed the upgrade bug in me, coz I actually am reluctant to change anything now as I don't really want to touch the cables again.

HDMI is not for consumers.

Hear hear.. Actually a lot of AV connectors are not meant for consumers (RCA, digital coax, etc, etc)... But of them all HDMI is the most flawed. And yet they try so hard.. :lol:

Edited by treblid

don't doubt the issues mentioned with them here but with all respect I treat them with the required respect to ensure they don't get damaged/bent/broken and at the price I have paid for some in the early days that is just common sense imo.......

Agreed.. To be frank I did something stupid...Was too excited and in a hurry I guess... Never ever going to make that mistake again.. Take one step back, a deep breath, power down everything, connect/disconnect, triple check, etc... :D Upgrade bug killed coz excitement replaced by fear :P...

On the subject of drm [though o/t] I got a kick out of the emasculated bluray server poor old Kaleidsascape has been bullied and almost legally forced into . Apart from the cost you are forced to put the original disc in the tray before the stored data can be played :wacko: It gets even better if that were possible ;the final solution is a multi disc changer that also requires the physical disc to play a movie :o top work Hollywood ..

http://www.cepro.com/article/kaleidescape_...lu-ray_copying/

HDMI is not a digital cable. The connector is flimsy, hard to bend around the rack, and impossible to flex. I challenge any HDMI lover to plug/unplug their HDMI cables with everything on.. Or try fitting it with the cable wrong way up. Granted all manuals said connections should be made with everything off, but I never had issues like that with any other A/V cables... :angry:

Hmm the hdmi connectors i use are far from flimsy (from selby & our banana bender forum friend). Also never had hand-shake issues & the auto hdmi switch I use (also from EZYHD) works fine. They are no more inflexible than good optical cables and quality interconnects. I didn't think it was possible to insert the plug upside wrong - could be wrong there tho?? Maybe most problems are arising from yum cha HDMI cables and/or older equipment. I agree the hot swap danger is something that should be remedied as it's a trap for the unwary, however standard a/v connectors also should not be hot swapped as there is often a fair bit of voltage passing between equipment - esp if connected to aerials somewhere in the chain.

...then repeat when handshake issue persists. :P

:lol: Luckily I never have handshake issues.. I did with my first crappy LCD though.

Got one. B)

Good gadget to have IMO. Nearly went through with that, but then at that time forums mention there's some incompatibilities with my AVR or something (forgot the details)..

On the subject of drm [though o/t] I got a kick out of the emasculated bluray server poor old Kaleidsascape has been bullied and almost legally forced into . Apart from the cost you are forced to put the original disc in the tray before the stored data can be played :wacko: It gets even better if that were possible ;the final solution is a multi disc changer that also requires the physical disc to play a movie :o top work Hollywood ..

http://www.cepro.com/article/kaleidescape_...lu-ray_copying/

Easily solved if you have AnyDVD HD, a NAS with some HDDs, and a media player... :ninja: DRM? If I'm serious enough to steal content, doing it will not cost me a single cent! Doing it the right way means I have to spend the money to purchase a AnyDVD license, bloody DRM is a false economy.

Hmm the hdmi connectors i use are far from flimsy (from selby & our banana bender forum friend). Also never had hand-shake issues & the auto hdmi switch I use (also from EZYHD) works fine. They are no more inflexible than good optical cables and quality interconnects. I didn't think it was possible to insert the plug upside wrong - could be wrong there tho??

Doing it blind from the front... :P

Maybe most problems are arising from yum cha HDMI cables and/or older equipment. I agree the hot swap danger is something that should be remedied as it's a trap for the unwary, however standard a/v connectors also should not be hot swapped as there is often a fair bit of voltage passing between equipment - esp if connected to aerials somewhere in the chain.

Hot swap is supposed to work with HDMI.. On the DVDO Edge there's even an option for HDMI hot swap (whatever that means).. Also some DSLRs have mini HDMI, which you are supposed to just plug in and work...

But anyway I plug in video cables all the time from s-video, composite, component, and digital/analog audio (to the front of the AVR)... My stupid mistake I guess is I equate them to HDMI (which I think has a 24V pin somewhere, I once see sparks fly out of HDMI cable btw.)... Anyway just my experiences, and aren't suppose to deter others btw.. :D HDMI are supposed to be hot swappable I think... So people should go about their merry way and plug unplug :P...

Anyway, about the analog sunset.. I remember people in the past prefer component over HDMI (difference preference on the colours and softness, etc). Now that they don't have a choice, I wonder what will happen.. First then come up with DRM that just inconvenience the users, then they come up with policies to add to the frustration of how they want the content delivered.. it's like they're pushing us to do what they are trying to prevent us to do... :wacko: