Lip Sync Issue

Hi Guys,

I set up a small 2 chanel set-up for a mate to give him better sound from his Samsung LCD TV.

It consists of:

Samsung 46 LCD

Cambridge Audio Sonata

Panasonic BD30

Yamaha Sauvo 2 Speakers

Foxtel SD Box

As the topic states I am having issues with lip syncing when using the BD player. I have the HDMI into the TV for video and the 2ch analogue of the BD player into the Sonata (no digital input available). I was hoping that the BD player would have a lip sync feature but I can't find one. I am now thinking that the only way to overcome it is to output the video via component so both the video and audio are undergoing a D-A conversion and hopefully syncing by doing this.

Any thoughts or similar experiences would be appreciated.

Regards

Any processing by the TV (eg IVTC, frame interpolation) will worsen any lip sync issues.

I have to set my TV to game mode when I direct the analogue audio out from the player into my receiver, or else lip sync is terrible. It's actually much better if I send both video and audio to the TV, so there is probably some audio delay feature in the TV: however the TV's speakers aren't very good.

Sadly, these days you really need a variable audio delay feature to compensate for the video processing that happens. I think it would be better if TVs just became dumb monitors and all processing done in the receiver. It's becoming like PCs all over again where audio/video sync is difficult to achieve because there are 2 separate paths processing the streams without a common synchronised clock.

what model samsung. most have a monitor out, so you can go hdmi into the tv and then montior out to the amp. This should solve lip sync issues

Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it.

K1LL3M When you say monitor out do you mean RCA analogue sound out? I dont know the exact model but its an LED LCD 30mm thick so outputs are limited. It does have some RCA inputs but I am pretty sure there was not an analogue out option but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it.

K1LL3M When you say monitor out do you mean RCA analogue sound out? I dont know the exact model but its an LED LCD 30mm thick so outputs are limited. It does have some RCA inputs but I am pretty sure there was not an analogue out option but I could be wrong.

On the Seriers 7 Specs it says

"Audio Out L-R (Mini Jack) 1 "

You should be able to use this (hopefully what ever model it is has it)