Avatar Blu Ray Drm Spoils The Fun.

Well, just got off the phone with two people who bought Avatar on blu ray, niether of them can actually watch the movie.

Avatar on DvD & Blu ray has been crippled by DRM which requires a patch for your blu ray player in order to play. This counts for both DvD and BD played in BD players.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=8193

For some people this is a real problem. Latest firmware for the Pioneer BD's for example run around 95 megs download which is near impossible to down load for 256/512k adsl customers let alone those who don't have internet access. Yes, my parents don't have internet access, yet have two HD screens and one blu ray player and bought Avatar on blu ray and can't play it untill I download the patches for them. Kiss my monthly download quota good bye. <_<

So if you want to discuss, whinge, sound off or post general James Cameron hate posts, go for it here!

Oh yeah, and if you are affected by the DRM on your Avatar disc, post up your players too.

Pioneer BDP-51FD (v1.39)

Pioneer BDPLX71 (v1.39)

Panasonic DMP-BD60 (don't know firmware version}

Edited by Audible

Well, just got off the phone with two people who bought Avatar on blu ray, niether of them can actually watch the movie.

Avatar on DvD & Blu ray has been crippled by DRM which requires a patch for your blu ray player in order to play. This counts for both DvD and BD played in BD players.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=8193

For some people this is a real problem. Latest firmware for the Pioneer BD's for example run around 95 megs download which is near impossible to down load for 256/512k adsl customers let alone those who don't have internet access. Yes, my parents don't have internet access, yet have two HD screens and one blu ray player and bought Avatar on blu ray and can't play it untill I download the patches for them. Kiss my monthly download quota good bye. <_<

So if you want to discuss, whinge, sound off or post general James Cameron hate posts, go for it here!

Oh yeah, and if you are affected by the DRM on your Avatar disc, post up your players too.

Pioneer BDP-51FD (v1.39)

Pioneer BDPLX71 (v1.39)

Panasonic DMP-BD60 (don't know firmware version}

Played okay on our BD60, no F/W update was required. Was slow (very) to load though

Trigg

Thanks for the link. I searched for threads on the subject and found nadda.

Played okay on our BD60, no F/W update was required. Was slow (very) to load though

Is your BD-60 connected to the net? Mine isn't so the firmware in my pana has never been updated since I bought it. (it's version 1.9)

Chopsus

The real conspiracy here is the size of the BD player updates. Pioneer = 95 megs, Panasonic = 31.7 megs. I only get a gig per month. <_<

Hmmm - I suspect you may be within your rights to ask the manufacturer to mail you a firmware upgrade on disc. Many other manufacturers do this.

Downloaded the pioneer version ok. It specifically mentions "avatar"in v1.65. Luckily the one file does both the BDP-51FD and the BDPLX71 so that saves quite a bit of my bandwidth.

The panasonic download wouldn't work in the player. I probably fubared the burn. I'll try calling panasonics help line and see if they will post an update disc for me. They where pretty helpful with my earlier problem with my HD CRT + blue ray.

So what happens if one buys 'Avater' on Blu-ray only to find it won't play and to find one's Blu-ray player has ceased to be supported by firmware updates ?

Will you be able to get to get your money back on your purchase as being unplayable or have you done your dough ?

C.M

Edited by Tweet

Question: Hakka never update his firmware, yet it plays. Is the firmware on his player the same as OP?

So what happens if one buys 'Avater' on Blu-ray only to find it won't play and to find one's Blu-ray player has ceased to be supported by firmware updates ?

Of the many people out there, how many actually know constant firmware updates is actually a prerequisite of this format? :D Alot of folks has accepted this firmware update (@ no benefit to consumer) to be part of life, personally I will not accept that... Esp when players don't come region free by default. I can stick with cheaper brands, but no idea if they have the resources to maintain the firmware, and how quick are they in releasing it.

Will you be able to get to get your money back on your purchase as being unplayable or have you done your dough ?

That'd be the worse case scenario I guess. And it may well happen, although quite unlikely...

What you'd find though is with firmware updates to get new discs to play, sometimes the old disc that worked fine previously will have issues.

Bear in mind all this is done to keep the pirates at bay... The new encryption has already been cracked. Guys with commercial players have to risk bricking your players, and/or risk breaking your old movies for nothing.. :lol:

BD Live is the bait to justify firmware updates, but so far nothing really interest me. And that seems to indicate studios have no interest in BD live..

BD Live is the bait to justify firmware updates, but so far nothing really interest me. And that seems to indicate studios have no interest in BD live..
Probably due to BD Live not being a mandatory feature for players.

Considering the cheaper players aren't BD Live capable and those cheaper models are the ones most likely taken up by mass market, studios would be reluctant to spend the dough on a small minority of the installed market. I mean why bother when 80%(plucked from thin air) of your market can't appreciate your efforts.

cheers

I updated my Pio firmware to 1.45 just last week - I rang Pioneer service dept and asked for a disc - I received a disc with instructions the very next day via priority post. I can confirm that with the firmware Avatar plays fine and the firmware allows me to play all regions SD again (which was "undone" by the previous firmware). :D

I mean why bother when 80%(plucked from thin air) of your market can't appreciate your efforts.

That's a chicken and egg problem... :lol: Hopefully some day BD Live will blow me away.. Just need one to start myinterest..

I updated my Pio firmware to 1.45 just last week - I rang Pioneer service dept and asked for a disc - I received a disc with instructions the very next day via priority post. I can confirm that with the firmware Avatar plays fine and the firmware allows me to play all regions SD again (which was "undone" by the previous firmware). :D

Good service by Pioneer.. But at the end of the day, why do you even need a update in the first place to play Avatar? :D (other than fixing the region free problem :)).. Not even a war worth fighting.. As congress in US has started to wise up, the "high" pirate numbers don't really add up.

Is it any wonder people rip their Blu-ray software to a harddrive for a DRM-free workable copy that they can rely on rather than go through the firmware update cycle over and over again. It sure beats trying to get a Blu-ray movie refunded that legitimately wont play.

C.M

Edited by Tweet

That's a chicken and egg problem... :lol:
Wouldn't call her a chicken anymore, more like an old duck :P

Seriously though that's not going to change any time soon, the simple fact is that non BD Live players will always be cheaper. Not only due to hardware and manufacturing costs but simply due to the fact there is a division in player support which allows manufactures to have basic and premium products which will attract differentiation pricing points due to many factors not least of which is one having a much larger market base due to lower cost of ownership.

cheers

Seriously though that's not going to change any time soon, the simple fact is that non BD Live players will always be cheaper. Not only due to hardware and manufacturing costs but simply due to the fact there is a division in player support which allows manufactures to have basic and premium products which will attract differentiation pricing points due to many factors not least of which is one having a much larger market base due to lower cost of ownership.

That sounds ominous for 3D for some reason... So many platforms out there, just one disc format... The future's gonna be fun...

That sounds ominous for 3D for some reason... So many platforms out there, just one disc format... The future's gonna be fun...
Yeah, I haven't looked into it so I don't know whether 3D is planned to be added to either or both player specs or whether it is to be a third spec player. Will be interesting how it all plays out for sure.

cheers

Wouldn't call her a chicken anymore, more like an old duck :P

cheers

I went into Clive Peters the other week when they had the Allure BD players on sale for $99 & picked up 2 for my kids rooms, is a nice unit has 2 USB ports, Ethernet port for BD Live and is pretty quick to load. So there is some cheap BD players that are BD Live ready.

I went into Clive Peters the other week when they had the Allure BD players on sale for $99 & picked up 2 for my kids rooms, is a nice unit has 2 USB ports, Ethernet port for BD Live and is pretty quick to load. So there is some cheap BD players that are BD Live ready.
Yes that's a pretty remarkable special price, probably the first BD player under $100 :unsure: Do you know if they have a Bonus View version?

cheers

yes I have heard about BBK players, price is cheap and very rasonable..have not seen them for sale yet but checking

Question: Hakka never update his firmware, yet it plays. Is the firmware on his player the same as OP?

I got my player from Gattiweb (region modded). David installed whatever firmware was current at the time of purchase so I'm guessing I have a later version than the OP. I think I got it just before christmas, it might even be the latest version, I've never had any issues with any disc so haven't bothered checking for an update.

Hakka.

Guest john-andrew

Just a note, there was no problem on the Kogan playing the US Blu-ray version and it did have an issue on the AUS Blu-ray release. On the AUS release, it was very slow and at times never to get to the menu. I did find as to switch the region to and fro did the trick and it played.

I also notice on 'Fox', they don't like region switching machines either.

Anyway, there wasn't a problem on the Sony and it played fine on the US or the AUS machines.

This is another thing, all 'Fox' Blu-ray titles do have 'macrovision' in them as this can be a problem too.

Edited by john-andrew

Downloaded the pioneer version ok. It specifically mentions "avatar"in v1.65. Luckily the one file does both the BDP-51FD and the BDPLX71 so that saves quite a bit of my bandwidth.

The panasonic download wouldn't work in the player. I probably fubared the burn. I'll try calling panasonics help line and see if they will post an update disc for me. They where pretty helpful with my earlier problem with my HD CRT + blue ray.

Well, my mistake. The firmware for the BDP-51FD and BDPLX-71 pioneer BD players is no longer the same. There are now two seperate files for each player. 97 megs times two plus 31 megs for the Panasonic blu ray player. Thank you ever so much for the huge dent in my monthly download limit mister cameron.

Problem is now the BDP-51FD wont update. I have previously updated both pioneers to v1.39 by download and burn and the v1.65 update worked in the BDPLX-71. But the DBP-51FD wont recognize the disc. I tried three CD's. none of them work.

I'm a bit worried I may have corrupted the firmware of the BDP-51FD by initially trying to load the BDPLX-71 v1.65 firmware disc in it. The dispay showed a message such as "incompatible disc" or something, but it still may have done something to prevent further firmware update attempts. Have to give pioneer a call for one of their discs to try that.

Oh well, at least I can now watch Avatar on the Panasonic!

Edit

Spoke to pioneer customer support. Sounds like my BDP-51FD has a crook laser diode. These BD players have two lasers. One for BD and one for DvD/CD. Given I almost never put cds/dvd's in this player its likely the fault has never been made apparent untill now. That's the theory.

Off to the repair centre for warranty.

Edited by Audible

No issues on the PS3, guess CGI has a way to go yet to become photorealistic. Found a quite a gulf between the CGI and live action as expected, not a patch on the 3D Imax experience...........c'mon 3D!