Best Place To Buy Wii Games

Sooo, looking to buy my first Wii games online and after a few pointers from the in crowd.

Is there a "best" place to hit first ie eBay, Amazon, something local perhaps etc ?

Is there such a thing as region coding as there is with DVD's etc? Ive noticed on some of the UK eBay sites they say they are compatible in Aus. If they are compatible, are they the "same" game or are there regional differences between what you can buy there and Austalian releases? (such as Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics for example)

anything else I should be aware of?

cheers

TB

Sooo, looking to buy my first Wii games online and after a few pointers from the in crowd.

Is there a "best" place to hit first ie eBay, Amazon, something local perhaps etc ?

Is there such a thing as region coding as there is with DVD's etc? Ive noticed on some of the UK eBay sites they say they are compatible in Aus. If they are compatible, are they the "same" game or are there regional differences between what you can buy there and Austalian releases? (such as Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics for example)

anything else I should be aware of?

cheers

TB

yes they are region coded.. Nintendo still live in the 80s

Your best bet: do some research on the "bannerbomb" technique, find a good ISO site and get a portable HDD. Wii games are not worth wasting good money on.

not quite, they are PAL and NTSC and you cant play a NTSC disc on a PAL wii and vice versa. Europe is PAL also and your best bet is www.game.co.uk

amazon uk wont ship games to australia

Out of the box a locally purchased Wii can play any PAL game - that is, you can import games from the UK and Europe but not the US or Japan as they both use the NTSC TV standard. There are a number of local online stores that parallel import from the UK/Europe.

If you want a list of good trustworthy UK games retailers with games that will work on an Aussie Wii, go to either:

Mymemory

DVD.co.uk

Zavvi

GAME.co.uk

365 Games

I've dealt with them all except for 365 Games, although I have been told on good authority they are reliable.

...and for a quick calculation on how much things will cost in AUD, check out the Currency Converter

Edited by Dreamcazman

Your best bet: do some research on the "bannerbomb" technique, find a good ISO site and get a portable HDD. Wii games are not worth wasting good money on.

I have to agree with this. It's extremely easy to do and much more convenient than having discs all over the place. Plus I think the HDD loaders now support NTFS, so you could use the hard drive for personal storage as well. It's also great because you can dump your disc straight to the HDD via the game loader on the wii. And I never use anything but the game loader on mine, so I've set mine up to autoboot the loader whenever I turn the wii on :D

It's a great method to look into, regardless of what you decide to do :) Oh and WD Passport drives are the way to go!

Oh and WD Passport drives are the way to go!

Really? Thanks for the tip!

I hate WD, but they are the cheapest (and lets face it, the cheaper the better for the Wii, standing by my not worth wasting good money statement).

I heard to only use the iOmega drives, but this is good news!

Really? Thanks for the tip!

I hate WD, but they are the cheapest (and lets face it, the cheaper the better for the Wii, standing by my not worth wasting good money statement).

I heard to only use the iOmega drives, but this is good news!

I can tell you that I have a 6 year old 160GB Lacie USB HDD that works ok as well (no auto power on/off though) ;)

certainly a lot of tutorials out there about Bannerbomb, some better than others, some seem to be missing rather important steps, and at the rate new software packages are being released, most of the tutorials are out of date. For the ones that are correct, it's a pitty that most of the techy folks dont know how to write a tech bulletin to save themselves.....

Plus I think the HDD loaders now support NTFS, so you could use the hard drive for personal storage as well.

I'm not sure about that, the backup utility that I got (WBFS Manager 3.0) only formats (or unformats) the HDD to neither FAT or NTFS.

After I "formatted" mine with WBFS, I read how some people create multiple partions on the drive, one formatted as FAT/ NTFS for personal storage and the other formatted for Wii backups which is a good idea.

I'm not sure about that, the backup utility that I got (WBFS Manager 3.0) only formats (or unformats) the HDD to neither FAT or NTFS.

After I "formatted" mine with WBFS, I read how some people create multiple partions on the drive, one formatted as FAT/ NTFS for personal storage and the other formatted for Wii backups which is a good idea.

Partitioning is a good idea, I had mine set up like that at one point but I did run into some issues when trying to resize the Wii partition without losing any data (which was my mistake I suppose!)

USB Loader GX allows an NTFS drive (I think it checks the root of the drive for an ISO folder or something, you'll have to look into it) I'm not sure if it'll let you have wbfs formatted games though - meaning that each game you have will be a 4.37GB ISO as opposed to the insanely small file sizes of WBFS formatted games..something you should look into! I haven't been following the wii thing in a while

Great tutorials and help can be found on wiihacks.com :) That's where I went to find everything out when I first started

Partitioning is a good idea, I had mine set up like that at one point but I did run into some issues when trying to resize the Wii partition without losing any data (which was my mistake I suppose!)

USB Loader GX allows an NTFS drive (I think it checks the root of the drive for an ISO folder or something, you'll have to look into it) I'm not sure if it'll let you have wbfs formatted games though - meaning that each game you have will be a 4.37GB ISO as opposed to the insanely small file sizes of WBFS formatted games..something you should look into! I haven't been following the wii thing in a while

Great tutorials and help can be found on wiihacks.com :) That's where I went to find everything out when I first started

re Wiihacks, yep, thats where I ended up. Seems mainly written assuming you know a little bit about the structure of the Wii (which is fair enough), some steps arent all that clear so was definatley some holding of breath going on on my part when confirming a few steps.

Might look into the the NTFS partion thingo, although the HDD I am using is a spare so dont really need it for anything else. Cant believe how smooth it all seems to work, modifications are often a little more clunky than that!

If you don't use your wii for anything else you should set it to autoboot USB Loader, you can still access everything else but it's just more convenient to turn it on and see a list of your games. Also, I'm assuming you installed preloader as part of the softmod? You should replace that with Priiloader it has a few more features and it's always worked better for me. (Just download priiloader, install via homebrew chan)

And here is the forwarder I mentioned http://www.mediafire.com/?0yjymtyqggl (That's if you're actually using USB Loader GX) You stick that onto the root of your SD card and then in Pre/Priiloader there's an option to install DOL files or something like that (and you've gotta change the settings to boot to DOL instead of system menu) I don't know about you but the only thing I ever used on the wii was USB Loader GX, so this was a great feature. And if you're wondering what Preloader is, hold reset as the wii is turning on and you'll find out (That's if you installed it)

That info might of been useless to you but thought I'd just put it out there :D Oh and one more thing, get Homebrew Browser this will let you easily install homebrew apps. Use it to find a good file manager and an FTP server. (I use the FTP server to easily manage the files on the SD card so I don't have to keep plugging it into my computer etc)

If you ever need any help with the wii just message me :) Oh and you should do some researching on media streaming/playback..could be interesting to you

Edited by Musti

If you don't use your wii for anything else you should set it to autoboot USB Loader, you can still access everything else but it's just more convenient to turn it on and see a list of your games. Also, I'm assuming you installed preloader as part of the softmod? You should replace that with Priiloader it has a few more features and it's always worked better for me. (Just download priiloader, install via homebrew chan)

And here is the forwarder I mentioned http://www.mediafire.com/?0yjymtyqggl (That's if you're actually using USB Loader GX) You stick that onto the root of your SD card and then in Pre/Priiloader there's an option to install DOL files or something like that (and you've gotta change the settings to boot to DOL instead of system menu) I don't know about you but the only thing I ever used on the wii was USB Loader GX, so this was a great feature. And if you're wondering what Preloader is, hold reset as the wii is turning on and you'll find out (That's if you installed it)

That info might of been useless to you but thought I'd just put it out there :D Oh and one more thing, get Homebrew Browser this will let you easily install homebrew apps. Use it to find a good file manager and an FTP server. (I use the FTP server to easily manage the files on the SD card so I don't have to keep plugging it into my computer etc)

If you ever need any help with the wii just message me :) Oh and you should do some researching on media streaming/playback..could be interesting to you

Hey Musti, thanks for that. Yep, I installed Pre/ Prii loader, cant remember which one but have held down the reset button and disabled the disk update or something like that. I think I'll let the kids play with it for a while and see how they like the GX loader before I get it to boot there auto.

Media streaming doesnt interest me all that much on it as i have a couple of PVR's networked around the house that I use for that.

The ftp server isnt a bad idea, can you access the HDD remotely via that method, or do I still need to walk it to the other end of the house?

How does the ftp server part of it work? Where do I install what? I already have Core ftp (lite perhaps) on my desktop machine.....

I think it's called ftpii - You can install it via the homebrew browser. It does let you mount your HDD and SD (Only one at a time though) and depending on your networking setup it can be very slow to transfer large files. The server runs on the wii, you just use software such as Filezilla to read/write to the device. I believe you can also use your web browser to access the wii but you'd only be able to download, not upload. (Whereas an actual FTP client will let you download/upload and edit files etc)

So basically ftpii will create an FTP server on your local network (It'll give you the IP address) and you use the controller to switch the mounted device (HDD, SD card etc) It's a really nice way to add files like emulators, roms and that sort of stuff but definitely not for transferring ISOs - that would take forever (Well it was pretty slow for me, give it a shot though)

Edited by Musti