Cheap Diy Home Theatre?

I'm thinking of putting together a diy 5.1 system for a small to medium sized room, with low cost being an important factor (<$1k for parts preferred).

Just wondering if anyone can suggest some options?

What are your intentions with this system?

Music or HT? and what percentage for each?

i.e 50% music / 50% ht.

What components do you already have?

Receiver, DVD player?

Cabling? hdmi, speaker cable, etc...

Do you need to have the whole 5.1 kit now? or can you buy a piece at a time?

i.e - bookshelf speakers to begin with, with a mid-range receiver.

When funds allow, move the bookshelves to rear duties and add some decent floor-standers, etc... (imo: This is definitely the smarter move, and will allow you to build a good system that you won't loathe down the track...)

If you need it all in one shot, then maybe a htib system would be the solution you are after.

But it isn't a path we would like to see you head down... ;)

What are your intentions with this system?

Music or HT? and what percentage for each?

i.e 50% music / 50% ht.

What components do you already have?

Receiver, DVD player?

Cabling? hdmi, speaker cable, etc...

Do you need to have the whole 5.1 kit now? or can you buy a piece at a time?

i.e - bookshelf speakers to begin with, with a mid-range receiver.

When funds allow, move the bookshelves to rear duties and add some decent floor-standers, etc... (imo: This is definitely the smarter move, and will allow you to build a good system that you won't loathe down the track...)

If you need it all in one shot, then maybe a htib system would be the solution you are after.

But it isn't a path we would like to see you head down... ;)

Thanks for the response. The purpose of this system would be 100% ht/games. I already have a receiver and dvd player etc, so just need the speakers. Would like to build them myself to gain more bang for buck.

Luckily I've already been down the htib path years ago, it taught me enough to know that I should never ever ever go htib again! :D

Edited by wixy

Thanks for the response. The purpose of this system would be 100% ht/games. I already have a receiver and dvd player etc, so just need the speakers. Would like to build them myself to gain more bang for buck.

Luckily I've already been down the htib path years ago, it taught me enough to know that I should never ever ever go htib again! :D

hmm.. maybe something from the loudspeaker kit?

but that is kit form... maybe not what you are after?

http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/

I'm thinking of putting together a diy 5.1 system for a small to medium sized room, with low cost being an important factor (<$1k for parts preferred).

Just wondering if anyone can suggest some diy options?

Hi Wixy,

Didn't you develop a set of excellent DIY speaker using Full Range Drivers - I think I read about it on Stereonet?

My mate has done at diy 5.1 system for a small room. Components were:

1. 3 x CSS Full Range Drivers - Left and Right were ported, Center was Sealed

2. 2 x Old Bookshelfs

3. Ported DIY Sub.

I have watched a lot of movies there and feel its an excellent solution for movies, but not good for music reproduction. (He has a separate 2 channel system).

The benefit of going with a Full Range Drivers : no crossover network, simple to build and consistent front sound stage with matched drivers.

Most of the heavy lifting in movies will be from the subwoofer. There are plenty of choices there and I think this is where you should spend your money as this creates the atmosphere and takes the load off the drivers.

My opinion of the CSS Full Range Driver in the configuration I heard - very good for vocals/dialogue and upto 4-5K hz. Didn't test the bottom end as this was handled by the subwoofer. If you dissatified with the initial results go could later upgrade the front 3 with a dedicated tweeters and develop the passive crossovers to suit.

Costing of such a complete 5.1 system:

1. 5 x Full Range Drivers - $500

2. 1 x 10" or 12" or 15" Subwoofer - $200/$300

3. 1 Sub woofer plate amp - $200/$300

4. MDF+Glue+Paint - $100-$200

As far as the subwoofer is concerned, I prefer sealed but ported have an output advantage at the Tuning point. You can model it using WinISD or Unibox.

Check out Darcher Audio for the CSS drivers. Indeed the SDX15 subwoofer is very interesting but probably too expensive for your build. The SDX10 would be interesting.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.