How To Tell A House Is Foxtel Wired?

Hi All

Ive been an Austar subscriber for years but am about to move to a rental within metro Brisbane (freestanding house) under 5km from the CBD.

While I used to just be able to look on the roof for a satellite and think great, its already had Austar installed so should be good, Im wondering what the best way is to tell if a house is "Foxtel Ready" so to speak?

A house I looked at had 1 x coax outlet with a Telstra logo on it in the lounge room and bedroom, would that mean it's already had foxtel and "should" just be a matter of plugging and playing? Is the best bet look for a coaxial outlet near the TV area?

When renting and getting Austar landlords don't seem too fussy about allowing me to get a satellite on the roof, but I'm wondering with foxtel if it isn't already cabled for foxtel, what is involved in the install (are they more likely to kick up a stink)?

Is all of brisbane CBD/region cabled with coax foxtel or is there some instances of Sat dishes? Would that mean if a house isn't already cabled they would dig a trench from the gutter to the house to get the cabling into the property if foxtel network ran past along the gutter and then drill up the floor boards for instance?

Ring Foxtel and ask them.

The address will be on their database if it's been cabled or connected previously.

Some areas have Foxtel via cable, others via satellite.

If neither have been installed at the address previously, yes, you would require a new installation, with the method used varying depending on which service is used in your area (cable or sat) and the construction type of the building.

Hi All

A house I looked at had 1 x coax outlet with a Telstra logo on it in the lounge room and bedroom, would that mean it's already had foxtel and "should" just be a matter of plugging and playing? Is the best bet look for a coaxial outlet near the TV area?

Is all of brisbane CBD/region cabled with coax foxtel or is there some instances of Sat dishes? Would that mean if a house isn't already cabled they would dig a trench from the gutter to the house to get the cabling into the property if foxtel network ran past along the gutter and then drill up the floor boards for instance?

Try to check if you can get Bigpond Cable Internet:

https://my.bigpond.com/check-availability/default.do

If you can then you will also be cabled for Foxtel Cable, if not you should call Foxtel to confirm otherwise.

If you can get cable then that means cable passes by your street. If the previous owners did not request for the cable to run to their property, then yes, the Foxtel technician will try to run the cable through the conduit that carries your telephone service (so usually no need to dig up the garden), then wire up the junction box (next to or in place of the existing Telstra box entry point), and cable to the outlet in your house (usually through the roof space but that depends on the property). In my previous residence I had the large Telstra grey box which carried the cable already, all Foxtel did was to run the cable from the box to the outlet I wanted. In my new residence Foxtel had to run the cable from the street and put up the smaller grey box (which they now use) alongside the smaller cream coloured phone entry point box, and then run the cable to the outlet I wanted. The installation fee is the same; of course, the latter is more work.

Of course if cable doesn't pass your street (and by that I mean on your side of the street) then you will get satellite.

None of us on this forum can see what is, or isn't installed at the premises.

The best we can do is speculate on the possibilities.

Regardless of what we say, it's Foxtel who will decide what is and isn't available at the address, so if you want the facts, instead of guesses...... ask Foxtel. :)

If the previous owners did not request for the cable to run to their property, then yes, the Foxtel technician will try to run the cable through the conduit that carries your telephone service (so usually no need to dig up the garden), then wire up the junction box (next to or in place of the existing Telstra box entry point), and cable to the outlet in your house (usually through the roof space but that depends on the property).

When I first moved into my current house (old home in Lane Cove, Sydney) I had a Foxtel installer out and they tried to run the cable from the street through the conduit and couldn't get the cable through. After spending a while trying like crazy to get the cable through they had to give up. The house was already connected to Optus cable (not my preferred option) so instead I went with the now almost dead Optus TV. But I really want to switch to Foxtel. Do you reckon there is any point in getting another installer out? If the conduit really is blocked then what are the options? Perhaps a more skilled installer could make sense of it. Any thoughts?

When I first moved into my current house (old home in Lane Cove, Sydney) I had a Foxtel installer out and they tried to run the cable from the street through the conduit and couldn't get the cable through. After spending a while trying like crazy to get the cable through they had to give up. The house was already connected to Optus cable (not my preferred option) so instead I went with the now almost dead Optus TV. But I really want to switch to Foxtel. Do you reckon there is any point in getting another installer out? If the conduit really is blocked then what are the options? Perhaps a more skilled installer could make sense of it. Any thoughts?

Usually if Foxtel can't connect you via cable (for whatever reason) they'll install satellite for you.

Ask for that option when/if you request connection again.

No, same picture quality, just a different method of receiving the service.

So satellite offers the same range of services (e.g. can you get IQ2 & HD), the same channels and the same overall functionality (e.g. remote record)? I recall reading that some of the FTA's aren't transmitted over satellite.

Same problem here, not so easy to run the foxtel cable through the telephone conduit. The installer tried the trick of forcing water through the conduit to push out all the dirt to the other side, that worked, and then he could push the cable and pull it through. However my impression was if he couldn't he would have to dig up the garden and run a new cable, but I suspect they probably would rather go for a satellite installation than do that (or get the owner to foot the extra costs).

If you can get cable go for that, especially if you have an IQ2 since you will get all the FTA channels (SD and HD) no matter where you live in the metro (esp. Perth and Adelaide where you only get ABC and SBS via satellite) and have the ability to record these on your IQ2 box (rather than pay $600 for an HD tuner HDD recorder). Also you don't get drop-outs from heavy rains.

• 2 weeks later...

My neighbor originally had Foxtel then switched to Optus then switched back to Foxtel from Telsra. In all instances there was only the one cable from the street into the house that was used to complete their connections.