Dvico Tvx Pvr M-6640n

I currently own a Topfield 7100, which has worked quite well but is now starting to freeze on some recordings and when timeshifting, so much so that one or two recordings are almost impossible to watch.

I am thinking of either replacing it (soonish) with either a Topfield 2400 or DVICO TVX PVR M-6640N. I can find heaps of info on the Topfield 2400, but next to nothing on the TVX.

Some questions about the DVICO TVX PVR M-6640N:

1. What type of internal hard drive can be used with it - the website says any 3.5 SATA HDD (6600/6620/6640), but when I searched for 3.5 SATA HDD I found a lot of 3.5 SATA2 HDDs - can these be used, eg Hitachi 1TB SATA2 HDD?
  2. Does it have a timeshift buffer or is timeshifting only started when you press pause?
  3. Does the EPG let you see more than one channel at once - any screen shot I've seen only shows one channel at time?
  4. What are the basic PVR functions like?
  5. What are the media playing and streaming functions like (I'm guessing really good)?

The main thing I want to know is what the TVX is like as a PVR. It sounds fantastic as a media player. I have seen it for just $419 at Gamedude. And if the TVX can use something like the Hitachi 1TB SATA2 HDD internally, then that is only another $93. Great overall prize.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Colin

I've had one of these for a few months now, so I'll have a go at answering your queries.....

• 1. What type of internal hard drive can be used with it - the website says any 3.5 SATA HDD (6600/6620/6640), but when I searched for 3.5 SATA HDD I found a lot of 3.5 SATA2 HDDs - can these be used, eg
Hitachi 1TB SATA2 HDD?

As far as I know, it can take just about any SATA HDD - the SATA2 should be backwards compatible with SATA connectors.

• 2. Does it have a timeshift buffer or is timeshifting only started when you press pause?

You can have it set to either start automatically when you go to the HDTV function, or start when you press play during broadcast.

• 3. Does the EPG let you see more than one channel at once - any screen shot I've seen only shows one channel at time?

Yep, only one channel and one day of that channel at a time.... at least that is the ICE guide, can't remember the regular guide as haven't looked at it for a while

• 4. What are the basic PVR functions like?

It's not too bad, but not up to speed with, say, a Topfield or Beyonwiz. It can't chase play, it doesn't do DVB subtitles, it does now have adjustable skip function, and you can automatically pad recordings (but only by the same amount at the beginning and end). Jumping to a point in a recording is easy, and it automatically sets a bookmark when you stop playback, and asks you next time if you want to go back to it - you can also set your own bookmarks. The EPG doesn't name recordings properly if you pad the recordings though, but being able to set recordings off your iPhone with their app is pretty cool.

• 5. What are the media playing and streaming functions like (I'm guessing really good)?

Yeah, can't really fault it on this. Plays back just about everything I have tried on it, also good with downloaded subtitles from other sources.

Anyway, see what you think based on the above.

Here's a link to it's features with some good screen shots.

4. What are the basic PVR functions like?
Dvico boxes are not well regarded for their PVR features. Many of the 'basic' features that make a PVR such a powerful and useable device seem to be missing from their Dvico units, so I would suggest getting a dedicated PVR like the Topfield 2400 or Beyonwiz DP-P2. IThey are good PVRs with some media playback facilities. The P2 is probably a little more user friendly in that it can play files from a network, whereas the 2400 needs them copied to the internal HDD. This may change with future FW or TAP.
Yep, only one channel and one day of that channel at a time.... at least that is the ICE guide, can't remember the regular guide as haven't looked at it for a while
This will be the way the Dvico displays the data and has nothing to do with IceTV. Ice just sends the data to the box. How the box displays it is limited by it's firmware. Edited by diesel