In Need Of A Dedicated Cd Player

Hi all,

just got my hands on a rotel rb 1080 power amp and a rc 1070 pre amp. Now i well and truly have the stero listening bug, so i would like to add a dedicated cd player to the setup.

Would love the older 1072 rotel cd player if anyone was thinking of getting rid of one only because i originally heard my setup with the 1072 and sounded great to my ears.

I would prefer to stay with rotel maybe a newer model but am open to suggestions.

I would also prefer to buy second hand to get a little more bang for my buck.

Price wise def. under $1000 (for my marriages sake) but more importantly something to compliment the rest of my setup,

many thanks, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

just got my hands on a rotel rb 1080 power amp and a rc 1070 pre amp. Now i well and truly have the stero listening bug, so i would like to add a dedicated cd player to the setup.

Would love the older 1072 rotel cd player if anyone was thinking of getting rid of one only because i originally heard my setup with the 1072 and sounded great to my ears.

I would prefer to stay with rotel maybe a newer model but am open to suggestions.

Price wise def. under $1000 (for my marriages sake) but more importantly something to compliment the rest of my setup,

Have a look at some of the Chinese made players :)

Not sure where you are located but Caxton Audio in Brisbane (www.caxtonaudio.com.au) has the Rotel listed on their trade ins page for 599.....

Loving the food for thought guys, just at work with the forum open in the background waiting for the boss to give me a tap on the shoulder.

Thanks saw the 1072 @ caxton for 599, is this good value as i have lost touch of what they are worth these days.

As a comparision the current RCD06 is only 799retail what would you go for?

Loving the food for thought guys, just at work with the forum open in the background waiting for the boss to give me a tap on the shoulder.

Thanks saw the 1072 @ caxton for 599, is this good value as i have lost touch of what they are worth these days.

As a comparision the current RCD06 is only 799retail what would you go for?

I'd got for the 1072. It was a $1k player before the new 15 series stuff came out. I've owned NAD, CA and Rotel players all under the $1000 mark and the Rotel is deffinately my pick of the bunch. Has some really good spec parts and implementation inside, and built really well too. At $600 it's a bargain.

Yes, i still own one ;)

I'd got for the 1072. It was a $1k player before the new 15 series stuff came out. I've owned NAD, CA and Rotel players all under the $1000 mark and the Rotel is deffinately my pick of the bunch. Has some really good spec parts and implementation inside, and built really well too. At $600 it's a bargain.

Yes, i still own one ;)

Thanks gutty, i will def give them a call to see if they can post to melb.

Hi all,

plenty of nice players, as some have mentioned the nad, rotel and ca options are obvious to check out, some good options from marantz as well. second hand will ofcourse now and then find some extra ordinary items. One player not mentioned is the arcam CD 73T which part of the diva range was a cracker and a clear step up from the rotel, nad ca options. there is a second hand cd73 going for $699 on the simply hifi trade in page.

There is two under $1k players on www.coemaudio.com.au website and there is the Opera Consonance 120 Linear at $1065 just over $1000. I don't know anything about the two on coem website but Opera 120 is a fine player.

Having trouble linking players below $1000. There are quite a few chinese ones below that.

Edited by Gior

Just doing research for now.. will prob only get it next year at the earliest.. :)

looking at the prices on there, do yourself a big favour and buy local. We pay some of the cheapest prices for chinese gear around the world outside of hongkong and china ofcourse but that is usually made for the hk chinese market whcih be carefull has different mains voltage tolerance(see other chinese cd player thread). And given the pretty reasonable prices for local sold chinese gear and their support warranty etc cant see why you wouldnt buy local. The other bonus of buying local is most of the retailers do also sell other brand cd players. most will lend you items to check out as well. So gives some good opportunity to check stuff out before buying :)

looking at the prices on there, do yourself a big favour and buy local. We pay some of the cheapest prices for chinese gear around the world outside of hongkong and china ofcourse but that is usually made for the hk chinese market whcih be carefull has different mains voltage tolerance(see other chinese cd player thread). And given the pretty reasonable prices for local sold chinese gear and their support warranty etc cant see why you wouldnt buy local. The other bonus of buying local is most of the retailers do also sell other brand cd players. most will lend you items to check out as well. So gives some good opportunity to check stuff out before buying :)

Not for the Jungson Impression Mk II :) It's $3800 locally (on sale that is). It's only AUS $1700 or so landed here from Cattylink. Less than half price.

looking at the prices on there, do yourself a big favour and buy local.

No ideas what I'm gonna do for now TBH (whether dedicated CD player, or media player + DAC)... I'd prob ask my dad for help for Chinese players, as he knows more about them than I do... China makes some great players, but I have no clue which are good and which bad.. Abs love mcb's Droplet :wub:.

But not sure which direction I'm taking as yet...

Not for the Jungson Impression Mk II :) It's $3800 locally (on sale that is). It's only AUS $1700 or so landed here from Cattylink. Less than half price.

Only? :D Buy one and report back? Am interested to see what you think..

Edited by treblid

oh my GOD ! chinese stuff on sale even selling for twice what it should overseas, what a rip off :o

where's jliang :lol:

seriously what was talking about, is the droplet for instance thats going for $US2585 plus shipping no warranty.

vs from osborn for $2930 for the latest model with full warranty, 30 day trial etc.

http://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/index.html

oh my GOD ! chinese stuff on sale even selling for twice what it should overseas, what a rip off :o

where's jliang :lol:

seriously what was talking about, is the droplet for instance thats going for $US2585 plus shipping no warranty.

vs from osborn for $2930 for the latest model with full warranty, 30 day trial etc.

http://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/index.html

How does that compare to $US2500 for MF CD6 vs $4500 somewhere in Australia ? Happy to pay $2000 for the local warranty

Ale ? :D The last time I had a CD player which I bought from Singapore broke down was 3 year after manufacturer warranty expired I save $1000 on the player and wasn't too upset after 3 years of trouble free service the player provided.

Locally I think you do get pretty good price on Raysonic CD players, the price on Opera Consonance CD players aren't too bad either. COEM audio has very nice price on a range of chinese made DACs. Puremusic group has very competitive pricing on Melody products I am actually in the process of getting a pair of M300B monoblocks from them and from my research the price I am paying is only slightly higher than price in HK and China. I certainly don't like the idea of paying $2000 for local warranty which Ale enjoys paying on his lovely MF gears.

No ideas what I'm gonna do for now TBH (whether dedicated CD player, or media player + DAC)... I'd prob ask my dad for help for Chinese players, as he knows more about them than I do... China makes some great players, but I have no clue which are good and which bad.. Abs love mcb's Droplet :wub:.

I did just order one from Cattylink. The chromed top plate just had too much bling value for me to say no to...I just hope it works lol.

How does that compare to $US2500 for MF CD6 vs $4500 somewhere in Australia ? Happy to pay $2000 for the local warranty

Ale ? :D The last time I had a CD player which I bought from Singapore broke down was 3 year after manufacturer warranty expired I save $1000 on the player and wasn't too upset after 3 years of trouble free service the player provided.

well lets see $2000 for a local warranty on the mf and $2100 for a local waranty on the jungson ? :D

This kind of thing I prefer to buy local quite frankly, a choice of mine. support the local industry. My mf a5 tube cd player for instance I was be able to demo the item instore vs quite a few other items including lovely players from marantz, sim audio moon, cyrus, arcam and the like. Was then also able to spend quality time with it inhome extensively prior to purchase. and yes had peace of mind wiht a warranty that was extended out to 5 years with my cc. Had the luxury of being able to take it back within the first two weeks if it turned out to be a lemon and hey getting it fixed or serviced over life of the warranty if I ever had a problem. My player will be 5 years old come august and have absolutely enjoyed it. Not that had to pay $2000 for a warranty, but it has been faultless over the time and have appreciated the peace of mind and the little luxuries of buying local. Not the kind of things could do have done with an import. Something I appreciate greatly, but respect if not of importance to someone else.

My only suggestion is to look locally too, as there are some excellent options and quite well price in my opinion, especially given the additional benefits it provides. And also keep in mind most retailers will be flexible quite a bit on price so dont have to take rrp as a given. Its not like buying something off the net, you dont have to pay list price, there is always room to move :)

well lets see $2000 for a local warranty on the mf and $2100 for a local waranty on the jungson ? :D

This kind of thing I prefer to buy local quite frankly, a choice of mine. support the local industry. My mf a5 tube cd player for instance I was be able to demo the item instore vs quite a few other items including lovely players from marantz, sim audio moon, cyrus, arcam and the like. Was then also able to spend quality time with it inhome extensively prior to purchase. and yes had peace of mind wiht a warranty that was extended out to 5 years with my cc. Had the luxury of being able to take it back within the first two weeks if it turned out to be a lemon and hey getting it fixed or serviced over life of the warranty if I ever had a problem. My player will be 5 years old come august and have absolutely enjoyed it. Not that had to pay $2000 for a warranty, but it has been faultless over the time and have appreciated the peace of mind and the little luxuries of buying local. Not the kind of things could do have done with an import. Something I appreciate greatly, but respect if not of importance to someone else.

My only suggestion is to look locally too, as there are some excellent options and quite well price in my opinion, especially given the additional benefits it provides. And also keep in mind most retailers will be flexible quite a bit on price so dont have to take rrp as a given. Its not like buying something off the net, you dont have to pay list price, there is always room to move :)

I don't actually need the Jungson to work. I just need it to sit there and glow and look good :)

maybe consider a player with a digital input treb, will give you choice of using the dac and valve stage for other digital sources as well :)

now scratching my head on which tube players have digital inputs hehe

I did just order one from Cattylink. The chromed top plate just had too much bling value for me to say no to...I just hope it works lol.

ah congrats ! now why am I not suprised ! you did want something that glows and this one is shiny as well to boot ! hehe

I don't actually need the Jungson to work. I just need it to sit there and glow and look good :)

:lol:

I knew it ! :D good one, whats your photography skills like ?

maybe consider a player with a digital input treb, will give you choice of using the dac and valve stage for other digital sources as well :)

now scratching my head on which tube players have digital inputs hehe

ah congrats ! now why am I not suprised ! you did want something that glows and this one is shiny as well to boot ! hehe

It's got VALVES too Al :)

I figured since I'm getting the DEQX and am gonna be running all SS Emotiva amps with the DEQX, the only place I could introduce some tubed distortion in the chain was the source :)