• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know how these displays handle 24p content, ie will they display native 24p or a multiple frequency, eg 96hz or 120hz?

My Samsung LA55P650 goes into 1920x1080 24hz mode for playing bluray via PS3. (When I press info button on my TV)

Does 1920x1080 60hz for PS3 games and also my laptop via VGA.

Apparently Retravision will have a special this week on 52inch Samsung 5 series (either $2500 or $2600). Will be advertised in paper.

Apparently Retravision will have a special this week on 52inch Samsung 5 series (either $2500 or $2600). Will be advertised in paper.

I want a special on the LA46B750 :-( not a free tv!!!.

I was going to get a 50" panasonic but my lounge is too bright during the day. Only concern is that 46" might be too small for viewing distance of 3metres.

I want a special on the LA46B750 :-( not a free tv!!!.

I was going to get a 50" panasonic but my lounge is too bright during the day. Only concern is that 46" might be too small for viewing distance of 3metres.

To me, a 46" at 3m would look way too small. Heck, 50 inch would look small.

Go for LA55B650 instead. (~$3700) Size matters MUCH more than extra 100Hz.

200Hz doesn't have any wow factor. But extra 9 inches diagonal, priceless.

To me, a 46" at 3m would look way too small. Heck, 50 inch would look small.

Go for LA55B650 instead. (~$3700) Size matters MUCH more than extra 100Hz.

200Hz doesn't have any wow factor. But extra 9 inches diagonal, priceless.

I am tempted by your idea to be honest. I will trial the LA55B650 with sports and see if there is any ghosting.

I could probably squeeze $3700 for the tv as I will be feeding it from my htpc which has a blueray drive.

I did think 46" would be too small.

I am tempted by your idea to be honest. I will trial the LA55B650 with sports and see if there is any ghosting.

I could probably squeeze $3700 for the tv as I will be feeding it from my htpc which has a blueray drive.

Myer offered me this tv for $3499 last weekend, glad I waited with the new promo and all!

$3700 should buy you a 58” B550 Samsung Plasma, its still not big enough for 3 meters but it’s a HUGE improvement over a 46” or a 55", no pun intended.

I lived with a 57” for two years at 2.8 meters and it was definitely too small for movies.

Edited by Owen

Actually, I agree with Owen in that a 58" PS58B550 would be better than 55" LA55B650 as a FTA/Movie/Sports TV.

BUT.....

Right now, Samsung is giving away a free 22" LCDTV with LA55B650 but NOT with the PS58B550 .

That makes the LA55B650 a far better buy in terms of cost. (Especially if you sell that 22" TV)

The extra 3” of the 58” Plasma is worth double the price of that give away 22” LCD no risk, not to mention its superior image quality. Seems like a no brainer to me.

The extra 3" of the 58" Plasma is worth double the price of that give away 22" LCD no risk, not to mention its superior image quality. Seems like a no brainer to me.

I finally decided on swapping my LA55B650 to the more expensive PS58B850 for extra $700 on top. Hope it's worth it. =)

I'll get that free 22" LCD TV so I'll sell that. If I assume I'll get $400 for it, I'm getting the PS58B850 for $4000. Not bad. (coz I got LA55B650 for $3700)

I finally decided on swapping my LA55B650 to the more expensive PS58B850 for extra $700 on top. Hope it's worth it. =)

I'll get that free 22" LCD TV so I'll sell that. If I assume I'll get $400 for it, I'm getting the PS58B850 for $4000. Not bad. (coz I got LA55B650 for $3700)

Jakiman

Are you swapping just for the extra size or because you are not happy with the picture or both?

You have said in previous posts that you were happy with the picture quality on the lcd is that still the case?

Cheers

Daywalker

Are you swapping just for the extra size or because you are not happy with the picture or both?

You have said in previous posts that you were happy with the picture quality on the lcd is that still the case?

Biggest reason is the size. I always wanted minimum 58" or larger for my next TV. It's coz I've had the 52" Rear projection tv for past 8 years.

I took the LA55B650 home as Myer allowed me to but wife and I felt it's not big enough to give us that satisfaction of spending around $4000.

Picture quality wise, I have no real complaints. In everyday use with PS3, FTA TV and laptop/divx, it looks 100% fine. Bright, great colours and black levels.

In terms of motion, it's very hard to fault also. In 99.9% of cases, no one will notice any difference to plasmas unless you are the super 'anal'ytical kind. =P

So it's the size at the end. Extra 3". I wanted the PS63B680 but that was around $700-800 more than PS58B850. So 58" it is. =)

63” is a lot larger than 58”, you may live to regret not spending the extra $700 to $800 mate.

I owned a 57” for two years and it was just not big enough for movies at my 2.8 meter viewing distance.

63" is a lot larger than 58", you may live to regret not spending the extra $700 to $800 mate.

I owned a 57" for two years and it was just not big enough for movies at my 2.8 meter viewing distance.

Yeah. I agree. But my budget was strictly around $4000. Wife just will not budge also. =P

Wow $4000 for the 58B850 and $4700 for the 63 inch! Sounds like the baragain of the year.

Technically, I got the PS58B850 for $4400. (I only said ~$4000 if i sell that free 22" LCD)

But taking into consideration that this was with a 2 year interest free finance, it's excellent. =)

Technically, I got the PS58B850 for $4400. (I only said ~$4000 if i sell that free 22" LCD)

But taking into consideration that this was with a 2 year interest free finance, it's excellent. =)

That's a very good price. Did you have to do much haggling? I just put a deposit on a 58B550 for 3.8K. Was tossing up about the 850, but didn't think I could get it for less than 4.7K. If I could get it for 4.4 I'd try and change.

FWIW I tried Harvey Norman first. They said the best they could as 5.5 (but I got them to agree to 3.8 on the 550). I went to Myer, and they had nothing in their system and were hopeless. Didn't have a clue about the models. So I went back to Harvey Norman and put on a deposit.

I guess it's too late for me anyway :(

where did you get it for this price? :o

I got the PS50B850 for $3999 plus 3 years extended warranty.

I'm willing to pay extra cash to get the 58" instead, how did you go about swapping it?

Hey guys,

I got a price for the 46" LA46B650 @ $3200 incl. 5yrs warranty and delivery from Myers Liverpool. Was wondering if this is the best price I can get? Cause everywhere I've been to and asked, has looked at me with their eyebrows up and said that its a good deal.

Thanks guys

It only too late when you take delivery. If you want to change the order get onto it pronto.

Edited by Owen
That's a very good price. Did you have to do much haggling? I just put a deposit on a 58B550 for 3.8K. Was tossing up about the 850, but didn't think I could get it for less than 4.7K. If I could get it for 4.4 I'd try and change. FWIW I tried Harvey Norman first. They said the best they could as 5.5 (but I got them to agree to 3.8 on the 550). I went to Myer, and they had nothing in their system and were hopeless. Didn't have a clue about the models. So I went back to Harvey Norman and put on a deposit.

Didn't have to do too much. I actually went to Myer for PS58B550. I said Bing Lee told me $4k and if he can do better.

The Myer guy said he'll do 3800. I hesitated. He said 3700. I said including delivery, and he said OK. So 3700 delivered.

btw, Myer do not normally stock/sell PS58B550. So he had to do special order for it. They normally only sell PS58B850.

BTW in a more technical way, he's selling me PS58B850 for $4700.....That's how it'll be written on the invoice. But I only pay $4400 for it.

(It's coz I bought a $1100 tv cabinet for $800 and he only wrote it as $400. And used the $400 to add to the cost of TV and delivery on the invoice)

Didn't have to do too much. I actually went to Myer for PS58B550. I said Bing Lee told me $4k and if he can do better.

The Myer guy said he'll do 3800. I hesitated. He said 3700. I said including delivery, and he said OK. So 3700 delivered.

btw, Myer do not normally stock/sell PS58B550. So he had to do special order for it. They normally only sell PS58B850.

BTW in a more technical way, he's selling me PS58B850 for $4700.....That's how it'll be written on the invoice. But I only pay $4400 for it.

(It's coz I bought a $1100 tv cabinet for $800 and he only wrote it as $400. And used the $400 to add to the cost of TV and delivery on the invoice)

So do you think it'd be possible to get the 58B850 for $4400 alone, or did you only get that price because you bought a few other things? I wouldn't mind the extra features on the 850, but I don't think I'll get it past the boss if it's more than a few hundred more after flogging off the 22".

sounds like an interesting arrangement especially from Myer but you got an awesome deal especially on an interest free purchase as well, considering I can only get it down to $5500 with GG. B)

So do you think it'd be possible to get the 58B850 for $4400 alone, or did you only get that price because you bought a few other things? I wouldn't mind the extra features on the 850, but I don't think I'll get it past the boss if it's more than a few hundred more after flogging off the 22".

Well, I'm 100% sure you can get the PS58B850 for $4600. As that was what was offered to me even before mentioning I'll buy other things.

But as I decided to buy PS58B850 after first purchasing the PS55B550, he wouldn't go back down to 4600 and only offered 4700 this time.

I reckon if you are very lucky, you can get it for $4500. Just get the free 22" LCDTV and sell it for $300-400 and that'll cover some cost. =)

any prices yet on the series 6 63 inch plasma?

not sure if i i should go the 58inch 8 series or the 63 inch 6 series?? any thoughts guys??

Its RRP is $7000. Expect at least 20% off quite easily. Maximum 25% off the price if you haggle REALLY well. This is at Myer.

So I expect around $5500 at least. However, few posts up above suparockin mentioned seeing it for $5300. Not bad at all.

If you feel size is important and know how much that is worth, 63" is worth every cent and more. (wow factor, envy factor etc)

Only reason I'm not spending extra $700 or so for the 63" is coz my boss(wife) won't allow it. I'm lucky that she okayed the PS58B850. =P

If it was all up to me or if I wasn't married, I would get the PS63B680 for sure. Best value plasma imo. (Panasonic 65" is way more expensive!)

got my ps50b650 today ($2740) picks up every possible station except for anything related to seven??? Any ideas? Is it the reception? I'm in Adelaide 10k from the city so very much metro not regional

Edited by axxo
I'm willing to pay extra cash to get the 58" instead, how did you go about swapping it?

I only got the swap as I paid for LA55B650/PS58B550 (both at $3700) but PS58B850 hasn't arrived in stock yet.

got my ps50b650 today ($2740) picks up every possible station except for anything related to seven??? ANy idas is it the reception? I'm in Adelaide 10k from the city so very much metro not regional

Maybe it's just auto scanning not picking it up. Don't solely rely on the automatic scanning by the TV.

My friend's 46B6000 LED TV couldn't pick up any digital signals by auto scanning but was able to manually.

Edited by jakiman

Just because you are married does not mean you have to go along with the wishes of your spouse. $700 extra is not significant in a $4k purchase, it could save you money in the long run as you will be less inclined to upgrade. The 63” is worth every cent of that extra $700, bloody bargain.

Maybe it's just auto scanning not picking it up. Don't solely rely on the automatic scanning by the TV.

My friend's 46B6000 LED TV couldn't pick up any digital signals by auto scanning but was able to manually.

THanks Jakiman, I didnt know the exact freq for 7 and couldnt find it on the net my samsung didnt seem to give the option of scrolling thru manually seems like it wanted an exact freq. However I moved the arial around and re-scanned in auto mode and ya... 7 digital is there. One happy g/f gets to watch desperate housewives. Actually I like the show too :rolleyes:

Its RRP is $7000. Expect at least 20% off quite easily. Maximum 25% off the price if you haggle REALLY well. This is at Myer.

So I expect around $5500 at least. However, few posts up above suparockin mentioned seeing it for $5300. Not bad at all.

I think suparockin may be refering to last year's 63A750 model.

Going by last years street price to RRP I think 30% should be achievable in the not to distant future

eg. 63A750 $7,700 RRP ($5460 street price).

58A650 $6,000 " ($4280 " " ).

This is without taking into consideration that the A series had a 2 year warranty where as the B series has only a 1 year warranty.

From all reports in the US the B series is considerably cheaper than last years A series in all comparitive models.

Cheers everyone.

Was wondering, if its not too much to ask for my first post, for a little advice.

On Saturday I purchased a Sammy LED 40B6000VF. For those who wish to know it cost me $3570 from JB with 5 year warranty. Got that extra 22" LCD so the wife and I are pretty happy. Could probably have got it cheaper online but it's that whole trust issue that I grapple with.

My problem is that I am trying to hook everything up to my ONKYO receiver (TS-D555). It is fairly old (about 10 years) so it doesn't have HDMI. It does have Optical but I can't seem to get any sound coming through the receiver. I've tried the external speaker in the menu but that doesn't seem to do anything either. The sound does not work for both TV or DVD.

Can anyone help? I'm concerned the unit has aged and that I might need to upgrade ...

Cheers and really enjoy reading the threads ... very educational for a loser like myself (when it comes to electronics).

Cheers everyone.

Was wondering, if its not too much to ask for my first post, for a little advice.

On Saturday I purchased a Sammy LED 40B6000VF. For those who wish to know it cost me $3570 from JB with 5 year warranty. Got that extra 22" LCD so the wife and I are pretty happy. Could probably have got it cheaper online but it's that whole trust issue that I grapple with.

My problem is that I am trying to hook everything up to my ONKYO receiver (TS-D555). It is fairly old (about 10 years) so it doesn't have HDMI. It does have Optical but I can't seem to get any sound coming through the receiver. I've tried the external speaker in the menu but that doesn't seem to do anything either. The sound does not work for both TV or DVD.

Can anyone help? I'm concerned the unit has aged and that I might need to upgrade ...

Cheers and really enjoy reading the threads ... very educational for a loser like myself (when it comes to electronics).

I have a similar set up with a B6000 & 7 year old Yamaha A/V receiver without HDMi. I didn't have to alter any of the settings on the TV. Just ran the cable from the optical audio out of the TV to the optical input for the "DTV" input on the receiver, selected DTV on the receiver and everything worked. Maybe just double check your connections or try another optical cable. Good luck with it.

I have a similar set up with a B6000 & 7 year old Yamaha A/V receiver without HDMi. I didn't have to alter any of the settings on the TV. Just ran the cable from the optical audio out of the TV to the optical input for the "DTV" input on the receiver, selected DTV on the receiver and everything worked. Maybe just double check your connections or try another optical cable. Good luck with it.

Thanks. Never had to use the optical cable or input on the receiver before so I might try a different cable. Cheers.

got my ps50b650 today ($2740) picks up every possible station except for anything related to seven??? Any ideas? Is it the reception? I'm in Adelaide 10k from the city so very much metro not regional

Where did you get this from, and in what State?

I've ordered mine through JB Hi-Fi (Cannington, WA) over 2 weeks ago and nothing yet. :(

Guest braddles69

Hi all, I have a few questions so please bear with me. I have an old CRT LG 86 cm Flatron (bought for $1700 5 and a half years ago) and am finally, looking to upgrade (was hoping it would die by itself by Jan when it was still under 5 yr warranty, but no go!).

I have narrowed my choice down to the Samsung PS50b550 or the PS50b650. The price difference is only $200-$300, but I am unsure of the differences besides the Medi@2.0.

Also, this will have to work with the following setup, DLINK DSM 320-RD media streamer, SONY SE-545 amp/receiver (no hdmi) and hopefully, stream via WIN 7 office PC.

Now, one of the critical factors is going to be 5.1 surround sound. Am I right in thinking that if I physically wire the PC to the TV through the HDMI then I can optical output from the TV to the SONY?

Is this a difference btw the b550 and the b650?

In the future I shall use the PC as HTPC, but at the mopment it is doing it's duty in the office, so what's the deal with the DLNA and the wireless capability of the above TV's? Do I need to purchase the Samsung usb dongle? At the moment a lot of the things we watch are dloaded on the PC (Burn Notice, True Blood etc) and then streamed thru the DLINK which does a great job but the unit isn't up to the task of 1080p rendering.

I may wait until next year for a new TV but the prices around $2300 are starting to make me very antsy to upgrade, and if I can utilise the DLNA/Medi@2.0 features - and if they work as they advertise) then maybe it's time.

Does anybody have opinions or experience with these sets and how they are being used?

I have always hated the UI of the DLINK and would like to have something that is more intuitive, what's the Sammy's like and does it work?

Cheers. thanks for any and all advice.

Well just to let u guys know, I managed to get the LA46B650 + 5yrs warranty down to $2950 from Myers. I think thats a pretty decent price, right? Receiving it tomorrow. Can not wait to play with my new toy!

Thats a damn good price, I'm assuming that was cash? I'm going shopping tomorrow for either the 40in or 46in if I can get a good enough price, my problem though is I will likely need to go interest free <_<