Panasonic 50px80a Price

As a final side note, the HN rep (over the phone) went straight into shi**y mode once I requested a $1650 including delivery - "less than cost blah blah etc."

ROFL at "shi**y mode" - very accurate description of how they get when you mention this forum and the price. It's as if you suddenly became a dud customer and they want nothing more to do with you :D

Congrats on getting the TV. fwiw I was offered $1700 too but no stock til September so I couldn't justify the purchase.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on getting the TV. fwiw I was offered $1700 too but no stock til September so I couldn't justify the purchase.

I Had one on order from the Good Guys and they also said that they had none coming in until mid September so yesterday (Saturday) I went to Harvey Norman as they had just got them in stock and my contact there said he would beat the price from the Good Guys with a valid receipt ($1500 + $139 for extended 5 year Warranty was my price from the GG) and so true to his word (some salesman are actually quite pleasant to deal with if YOU as the customer a pleasant in return) he beat there price by $100 so I was able to get the Plasma for $1400 + $139 for the extended Warranty... I must admit though, that is a Crazy price and I would not think that anywhere else would come close to that....

GG's weren't too happy refunding the money back, but allowed it seeing as the TV was going to be at least another Month before it was due to come in. (They originally said it would only be a couple of weeks, which was a couple of weeks ago.) I asked my contact at HN if I could get two at that price, (one for me, one for my brother) and he was ok with that... still yet to set mine up, (don't have the space nor the unit to set it up on) but have seen my brother's all set up and is Fantastic!!

Sorry to hear those people down in Melbourne not getting as good a deal, but then again getting the TV for $1700 is still a great price! well worth it if they are in stock somewhere...

I Had one on order from the Good Guys and they also said that they had none coming in until mid September so yesterday (Saturday) I went to Harvey Norman as they had just got them in stock and my contact there said he would beat the price from the Good Guys with a valid receipt ($1500 + $139 for extended 5 year Warranty was my price from the GG) and so true to his word (some salesman are actually quite pleasant to deal with if YOU as the customer a pleasant in return) he beat there price by $100 so I was able to get the Plasma for $1400 + $139 for the extended Warranty... I must admit though, that is a Crazy price and I would not think that anywhere else would come close to that....

GG's weren't too happy refunding the money back, but allowed it seeing as the TV was going to be at least another Month before it was due to come in. (They originally said it would only be a couple of weeks, which was a couple of weeks ago.) I asked my contact at HN if I could get two at that price, (one for me, one for my brother) and he was ok with that... still yet to set mine up, (don't have the space nor the unit to set it up on) but have seen my brother's all set up and is Fantastic!!

Sorry to hear those people down in Melbourne not getting as good a deal, but then again getting the TV for $1700 is still a great price! well worth it if they are in stock somewhere...

BY the way I forgot to add that I entered the Swim to Win Promo and won the SD Card Camcorder, Unbelievably lucky guy!! :)

First post for me but I don't know how it will go. I used to be in the industry of tv sales and man the people on this forum take me back. Consumers think a store pays a tiny amount for a tv that retails for 2K and makes tons of profit. What you don't think of is the overheads these companies have like electricity, telephone bills, rent of the premises, advertising costs, staff, staff training and many, many more on top of that. Hey don't get me wrong though I'm a consumer and I still try to get the best deal but trust me if you want to get sales people on the wrong side just walk into a store and demand $500 off of a $2000 tv because some guy on a website said he got it at another store last week for $1500. Also remember that salesperson is going to be the guy you ring when you can't figure out how to hook up your tv to your sound system or the guy who makes sure he advises you on what your going to need now that you've gone from a 68cm CRT to a 50" HD plasma. I've denied people the price they demand even when I could do it because they've been aggressive and rude about it and trust me those people are worth not selling to because if anything at all happens to that tv it's usually the salespersons fault somehow.

My advice would be....

1. Check out advertised and instore ticketed prices, see who's cheap right off the mark.

2. Don't be agressive, don't be rude and don't forget salespeople are just doing their job.

3. 9 times out of 10 if you want a tv for a certain price and they can do it or get close to it, they will.

4. If you don't get the tv for the same price as a guy said he did in a different state well get over it because you don't know the full circumstances of the sale.

5. Always buy extended warranty if it covers you for limitless claims and replacement if necessary. Paying thousands for a tv with a 12 month warranty and saying "Nah she'll be right mate" either means you have way to much money to buy another one if it breaks after that time or your a fool.

Oh and just one more thing as I type this I can't remember who posted the picture of his reciept from Myers Tuggeranong but when your docket only shows Plasma/LCD as the product your buying and no mention of make or model if someone brought that into me and said hey that's what he bought a 50" HD Panasonic for can you match it I'd just laugh. Not saying it didn't happen like you said either but you'd need to post something way more specific than what you have as no salesperson in their right mind would buy that.

Oh and just one more thing as I type this I can't remember who posted the picture of his reciept from Myers Tuggeranong but when your docket only shows Plasma/LCD as the product your buying and no mention of make or model if someone brought that into me and said hey that's what he bought a 50" HD Panasonic for can you match it I'd just laugh. Not saying it didn't happen like you said either but you'd need to post something way more specific than what you have as no salesperson in their right mind would buy that.

First post for me as well but have been following the prices and receipts for a little while.

Don't want to have a go at you but nice attitude on the "laugh at the receipt". The receipt includes Myers product number and there is a scond receipt for the same price from a different Myer with the same product code and the product description. So your laughter would be very poorly directed.

For those guys who have provided receipts and information on this and other Pana threads thanks.

Edited by miro67

As a final side note, the HN rep (over the phone) went straight into shi**y mode once I requested a $1650 including delivery - "less than cost blah blah etc." I did not think this an outrageous opening gambig considering receipts posted here, and the fact I already had $1700 on offer. His attuitude and voice manner was awful, and it literally took him all of 30 seconds before he cracked it. I was quite happy to accept a higher counter offer, but his attitude was so immediately bad that I decided I would buy elsewhere. Which I did.

I'm surprised he simply didn't quote you full retail over the phone, as they don't know who you are on a phone call.

If I'm keen to buy something, I visit the places I want to go to, and not phone them up because I know I won't get the best price over the phone.

My advice would be....

1. Check out advertised and instore ticketed prices, see who's cheap right off the mark.

2. Don't be agressive, don't be rude and don't forget salespeople are just doing their job.

3. 9 times out of 10 if you want a tv for a certain price and they can do it or get close to it, they will.

4. If you don't get the tv for the same price as a guy said he did in a different state well get over it because you don't know the full circumstances of the sale.

5. Always buy extended warranty if it covers you for limitless claims and replacement if necessary. Paying thousands for a tv with a 12 month warranty and saying "Nah she'll be right mate" either means you have way to much money to buy another one if it breaks after that time or your a fool.

All very good points you make there... check out the retail prices at the retailers you're looking at first.

Remember, that salesman you're being rude or aggressive to, is just trying to make a living, he isn't the guy that makes the final decision on the cheapest price (and don't go demanding the manager either, as that won't work as you'd now be putting two people offside).

Different locations have different prices, it's a fact of life. Don't expect to get a item in say Perth for the same price someone can get one in Melbourne or Sydney.

As far as extended warranties are concerned, normally I'm the sort that'll bypass them because they're usually a unnecessary expense, but in the case of a large plasma, I got one for my 50" 800a. I base my idea on the premise that electronics will either crap out within days of turning them on and 12 months is usually long enough, but with the expense of a large plasma and the fact that repairs to them often require replacement, the extended warranty looked good to me. :)

Hi

Here we go again, informative first Post from an insider who makes some good points and means well with His/Her advice but RPM is illegal in Australia, the consumer has the option of shopping around for the best possible price or paying inflated prices. Obviously you have to weigh up the cost of your time and inconvenience in comparing prices but at the end of the Day its a personal choice. The large multinationals have responded to the current climate with inflated RRP's and extensive rebates and special buys and incentives to Store Owners/Franchisee's. In most cases the floor Sales Staff are not aware of the 'bottom line' of the Store itself and are supplied a 'artifical buy price' to base their sale upon. There are faults on both sides, i've seem customers being extremely rude to sales staff because they didn't know their product or wouldn't price match and sales staff rude to customers who asked for a discounted price.

My major gripe is for posters who have an axe to grind,one way or the other is to do it in a separate thread and leave the 'best price' threads to those who appreciate the latest 'street prices'.

Typica Generic l RPM Link.

Edited by Basil

Stores have overheads blah blah blah

Don't be rude blah blah blah

Myer receipt blah blah blah

Interstate prices may be different and receipts/advertisements from other states may not be entertained in your city/state. Not that it's fair but it is difficult to argue with distribution costs, especially when the prices of fuel are so high.

Customers should not be rude but at the same time, salesmen shouldn't carry a bag full of "attitude" either.

Extended warranty is a rotten way of making money and is just about as negotiable as the TV's price. It's sad that TVs fall apart so fast that it makes buying these warranties mandatory.

The rest of the post was pure trolling.

Basil,

RPM is illegal but Apple seems to have an exemption. Have you ever seen iPods selling for a massive discount (or any discount, for that matter) ? Yes, HN had them cheaper in the recent 1-day only 8-8-08 sale. Their 1GB Shuffle price of $48 echoed Apple's refurb Shuffle price of $48. They could well be refurb units supplied to HN. You can't tell the difference.

exaclty....

simple way to do with is ask for the best price.....(obviously knowing what your aiming for)....or ask if a certain price can be done .....either showing proof by receipt or asking them to check with the other retailer or by off chance getting them to take your word for it

if they answer yes, hooray

if they answer no, say thanks, ask whats the closest they can do, if this isnt satisfactory, then just leave the store...

no point trying to force something to happen that wont happen.. customers walking out is annoying but easier to take then a customer geting angry and forcing the SALESPERSON to do sometihng that manager wont allow...

Well Basil, for one I never said people can't shop around and never did I mention RPM. Fact is when you see retailers popping up all over the place they are making money which by the way is what they are there to do. The owner of a store doesn't have to tell a base level salesmen what they actually pay at the bottom line for anything because it's none of their business for a start. I know of 4 stores right now in the South Brisbane area that are selling everytime at very low prices to "buy" the business and would be living off of what you call "extensive" rebates and they are not far off of closing at all because plain and simple unless you are making a profit you can't pay the bills and improve your business.

I know you mean well with your advice but I've seen the effects first hand of a store forced into the position these ones have been and it never turns out good. Also if you think the likes of Samsung or LG would sell directly to the consumer at much lower prices if they did cut out the middle man then you have another thing coming. Just buy from the person who offers you the best service and knowledge at a good price, if he's $50 dearer than the idiot who was selling simply on price and knew nothing about the product itself then know it's worth $50 for that guys service and knowledge when you need to call him again.

And Kulfi, since you can't quote people correctly and need to insult you seem to be a person with no knowledge of the industry but one who knows all. There's no big conspiracy to rip everyone off and warranties aren't needed but if you spend $3000 on a tv and they say for an extra $XXX you can have it repaired or service if need be any amount of times over 5 years instead of 1 I personally think your mad if you don't. Pure Trolling? HA.

Miro67, if you'd have seen what some customers have brought to me and claimed they are written quotes or prices on cards written by the salesperson you'd get a bit cynical of stuff brought to you that didn't even mention a model number or make. I didn't see that myer model number and I would call them up to confirm so apologies for that. Also I wouldn't laugh in their face I'd walk off and laugh quietly cause that would be bloody rude for a start.

Was this from HN in oxley? Can you tell me the name of the salesman

Which HN store did you buy this from and could you post a copy of the receipt? Many thanks - and oh what a fantastic price.

Which HN store did you buy this from and could you post a copy of the receipt? Many thanks - and oh what a fantastic price.

HN Oxely is the store I bought it from, However You won't get it for that price there. Your best bet is to compete with another store like the Good Guys, as they may do it for a similar price. I did say that I could send a lot of people his way and for what price he would realistically sell it for, and he indicated about the $1600 mark plus whatever warranty you want will determine the price.. The sales person was Daniel. He is the Manager there in the Electrical Plasma section.

HN Oxely is the store I bought it from, However You won't get it for that price there. Your best bet is to compete with another store like the Good Guys, as they may do it for a similar price. I did say that I could send a lot of people his way and for what price he would realistically sell it for, and he indicated about the $1600 mark plus whatever warranty you want will determine the price.. The sales person was Daniel. He is the Manager there in the Electrical Plasma section.

Sorry spelt the suburb wrong, "Harvey Norman Oxley"

Well Basil, for one I never said people can't shop around and never did I mention RPM. Fact is when you see retailers popping up all over the place they are making money which by the way is what they are there to do. The owner of a store doesn't have to tell a base level salesmen what they actually pay at the bottom line for anything because it's none of their business for a start. I know of 4 stores right now in the South Brisbane area that are selling everytime at very low prices to "buy" the business and would be living off of what you call "extensive" rebates and they are not far off of closing at all because plain and simple unless you are making a profit you can't pay the bills and improve your business.

I know you mean well with your advice but I've seen the effects first hand of a store forced into the position these ones have been and it never turns out good. Also if you think the likes of Samsung or LG would sell directly to the consumer at much lower prices if they did cut out the middle man then you have another thing coming. Just buy from the person who offers you the best service and knowledge at a good price, if he's $50 dearer than the idiot who was selling simply on price and knew nothing about the product itself then know it's worth $50 for that guys service and knowledge when you need to call him again.

And Kulfi, since you can't quote people correctly and need to insult you seem to be a person with no knowledge of the industry but one who knows all. There's no big conspiracy to rip everyone off and warranties aren't needed but if you spend $3000 on a tv and they say for an extra $XXX you can have it repaired or service if need be any amount of times over 5 years instead of 1 I personally think your mad if you don't. Pure Trolling? HA.

Miro67, if you'd have seen what some customers have brought to me and claimed they are written quotes or prices on cards written by the salesperson you'd get a bit cynical of stuff brought to you that didn't even mention a model number or make. I didn't see that myer model number and I would call them up to confirm so apologies for that. Also I wouldn't laugh in their face I'd walk off and laugh quietly cause that would be bloody rude for a start.

Hi

No worries 'phoenixman',your entitled to post your opinion but i feel it should be done in another thread,the 'Best Price' threads have a history in this Forum particulary a couple of Years ago when they first started to gain impetus. I've worked in Hi-Fi retail and its tough,small stores are at a huge disadvantage as multinationals want volume sales. Sales staff do it tough,no question about that,dealing with the public 40 Hours + is difficult but price haggling is here to stay,RRP on most consumer goods is a joke,at one stage Tony Blair in the UK was going to legislate to try and get some normality in retail pricing.

My Sister was in a buying group in the 1980's and 90's, for a small Monthly fee they would provide a BP on any item from a Toaster to a Car, this was often 50% under RRP at a time when major chains "held the line" on RRP. With the demise of RPM and the rise of the internet most of these buying groups faded away and have ben replaced by online Forums,Price comparison sites,Ebay etc. ,Times have sure changed.

Edit..sorry 'kulfi' i just noticed your post,other posters will probaly know more about 'Apple' pricing(there's another thread on this somewhere) than me as i'm a few Years out of date but there are ways around RPM for niche products. For example ,in the 1990's European Whitegoods were placed on consignment with retailers so there was no room to move on the RRP without the store losing profit margin. Also new iconic products,like Ipod i guess, were supplied to selected retailers at small profit margins(10-20%) on a take it or leave it basis, again they couldn't move much off RRP without losing money>The major chain stores would stock at these reduced margins to maintain credibility with prospective buyers and to maintain Store traffic with that particular consumer demographic.

Edited by Basil

When did I say "There is a big conspiracy to rip people off" ? Who is misqouting now ?

For a conspiracy, you need shops to form a cartel and not undercut each other, which is what you seem to dislike. It's called competition and that's what a price-conscious consumer thrives on. Stores and salesmen thrive on monopoly or oligopoly, so I understand why you're willing to laugh at receipts.

As for buying from "the salesman who offers the best service and knowledge", what "service" is offered by stores these days ? Swiping a credit card and printing a docket ?

Paying $50 extra for a salesman's "knowledge" is fine for a plumber or bricklayer. I haven't spent thousands of dollars and years of my life studying for a uni degree in computer science and electronics to be told what's right and what's wrong by a sales drone who is just looking at his own profit and pushing items that his boss has told him to.

As I said before kulfi people should shop around as do I but reading a lot of posts on this forum I can see the same opinion that consumers have of retailers over and over again, which is there's gigantic profit in TV's. I had a guy demand at least 10% off of a tv marked down from $3200 to $2500 as it was a finished line and the last one on display and he still wanted 10% off because we could afford it and then he commented that Bunnings gives 10% so we should at least be doing that. As for service the amount of questions I asked everytime I did a sale was plentiful. Some questions I would ask for example....

1. What size TV are you after?

2. How far would you sit from your TV?

3. How many people would use the TV at once and where would they sit?

4. What are you upgrading from?

5. What have you looked at so far?

6. Are they any brands you'd like to avoid?

7. What are you hooking into the TV? Eg Foxtel, DVD, VCR, Surround Sound, Gaming Systems.

The list could go on and on but from this you would determine their budget, size of screen, full hd or hd, lcd or plasma and many other things. I've taken many a sale simply because of my service and not because of price. If people like the guy they are talking to price falls lower on the ladder of importance than you think. A salespersons job is finding out what the customer wants from a TV or a sound system and fitting that into or near the customers budget but then advising him what he'll need to have it set up so it performs at it's best. If you think service isn't important in the field of TV sales then your just being ignorant.

I never said that you thought there was a conspiracy either. I was making a statement, you quoted me and there's a difference.

As for your uni degree in computer science and electronics, that makes you educated, it doesn't make you smart.

And Basil I agree RRP is a joke just check out LG or Samsungs website and they are way off of what's selling in the stores. If I saw a TV selling at full RRP in any store I would walk right back out.

That's the last on this matter, Sorry Tuhan. Won't happen again.

Consumers think a store pays a tiny amount for a tv that retails for 2K and makes tons of profit.

The 50PX80A is ticketed at $2199 , then we see 3 receipts for $1531, how does that look to you? I would call that a $700 mark up. The actual cost price of the TV is apparently $1491 according to the computer screens at Good Guys. Then there's Panasonic bonuses to factor in (someone mentioned these were around $150 per unit sold). Then consider the rate at which these screens are selling and it doesn't look too bad for the retailer.

Edited by pneu

Thanks Tuhan.

If you could post the receipt that would be a great way to start negotiating the best possible price. Many thanks in advance.

Guest pnutonstick
The 50PX80A is ticketed at $2199 , then we see 3 receipts for $1531, how does that look to you? I would call that a $700 mark up. The actual cost price of the TV is apparently $1491 according to the computer screens at Good Guys. Then there's Panasonic bonuses to factor in (someone mentioned these were around $150 per unit sold). Then consider the rate at which these screens are selling and it doesn't look too bad for the retailer.

Very good points in response to the Birdman. (Friendly nickname for Phoenix - not a dig!) I'd also add that having worked for years in the consumer durables delivery chain as the manufacturer/supplier, retailers do more than fine. I worked for a major international as a product manager selling into major Australian retailers, and I can tell you that at no point are major retailers (DJs, Coles Myer, JB, etc.) struggling for margin on their products. Their margins are significantly higher than the suppliers/manufacturers, particularly in segments where products sold are generic- i.e. the same with only a brand name for differentiation. Like TVs. Without supplying through the major chains, of which in Australia there are very few, there is no way to reach the volumes to make manufacturing viable. Retailers hold the whip hand, and they know it. I am sure that the profits dont neccessarily flow to the store manager and the salesperson, but last time I checked, the bloke who owns H.N. was doing alright.

Lastly, having worked my way through uni in retail, I am always respectful of sales staff, but the only thing worse than a poor attitude is poor product knowledge, and from the hours I spent in stores checking out the options, I copped plenty of dodgy advice, if not deliberatly misleading information from a significant proportion of sales people. I even overheard one JB salesman trying his level best to stick a "RRP" to an elderly couple, for whom English was a second language. I went and told them the pricing information they were receiving was not accurate, in front of the salesperson. I told the couple to come back with a family member before commiting, and adviced them to shop around. The JB bloke protested for about 3 seconds, before he took off into the storeroom.

My recent experience with some of the 'professionals' within the major retailers of plasmas leaves a lot to be desired. Having said that, worth it for the Pana! :)

Any more news on availability of this TV? Mid September seems like a long time to wait.

Given the wait, perhaps this might be a good time to organise a Group Buy. I am surprised no one has organised a group buy for any of the 2008 Panasonic Plasmas.

BY the way I forgot to add that I entered the Swim to Win Promo and won the SD Card Camcorder, Unbelievably lucky guy!! :)

Tuhan, can you PM the receipt? Clive peters at Asply said they would match your deal if I could show them a receipt.