Blu Ray Discs Bargains thread - please list them as you find them

• Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ChangeOver;138700 wrote:
Hi to all. This is my first post.

Just bought Sound Of Music (2 blu + DVD) for 8.49 pounds ($25.94NZ with freight) from Amazon UK.

Welcome ChangeOver, the Sound of Music looks to be excellent quality from the reviews, very tempted to get it also.

Yes they are boring and slow moving and I don't think you should get any ;)

Ha ha! I like this answer  ;D

It really depends on your taste in movies. If you're the "Fast And Furious" kind, then it's probably NOT your cup of tea. Although some of the Michael Bay movies like Armageddon and The Rock did get the Criterion treatment...

mycenius;138706 wrote:
Well have you done the deed old chap? Did moths and creepy crawlies and all sorts come spilling out of your wallet after you fought your way though the layers of cobwebs on it, while you suspiciously edged yourself up to the counter at your local BRS?!!!
:D
:D

I bet you walked out with instant buyers remorse!!!
;):D

Are you now the proud owner of a high quality DNR :eek: copy of Gladiator! :cool:

So I got the Robin Hood/Gladiator double pack for $55 and Babylon AD for $25. So with 25% off it came to $60 for all 3. $20 per movie, not bad.

Gonna watch Gladiator first just to see how bad it is and then send it for replacement.

Rhygar;138955 wrote:
So I got the Robin Hood/Gladiator double pack for $55 and Babylon AD for $25. So with 25% off it came to $60 for all 3. $20 per movie, not bad.

Well done! Almost got (down) to your budget too, coorrr... 3 more cents and you'd have been in! ;)

Rhygar;138955 wrote:
Gonna watch Gladiator first just to see how bad it is and then send it for replacement.

I couldn't bring myself to; and just sent the disc away in the end after sitting on it (figuratively not literally) for about 2 weeks... :(

Wow Myer have some really good prices atm :) i was at my local centre yesterday and i must admit i thought about having a look in Myer and thought whats the point,may have to pop back in there.

And just checked Myers catalogue re: 2 4 $25 and other titles are

American History X

The International

Year One

Wedding Crashers

Harold And Kumar

Austin Powers Gold Member

Lethal Weapon

Underworld

So nothing super cheap there but the 3 that Tigers mentioned seem very well priced :)

Cheers Ryan

Myer have 20% off Full priced Blu-rays on Saturday http://www.ecogamer.com.au/images/stories/...001549_myer.jpg

Not sure if that would include the 2 4 $25s or not

Rhygar;138955 wrote:

I have the same pack and I'm having trouble spotting the problems... I've checked out various online images or arrows, etc. But really can't see a problem :eek:

Critierion class movies are movies that even you watched with subtitles and 2 hours you would still asked WTF is the story about.  ;D

Just kidding there are lots of mainstream movies getting Criterion treatment, like Silence of the Lambs, Hard Boiled, The Killer, etc

thank you, this is the kind of constructive advice i was looking for. :)

Instinct;138975 wrote:
I have the same pack and I'm having trouble spotting the problems... I've checked out various online images or arrows, etc. But really can't see a problem :eek:

You should easily be able to spot the nasty DNR on your LG 55". The "disappearing" arrows are one of the widely publicized examples but there's plenty of waxy face action going on too.

I seem to recall another scene where Maximus is on his horse trying to get back to his family and there are some lightning strikes that get all stuffed up.

Also try comparing the additional (extended) scenes to the rest of the movie as the PQ was much better in those, i.e. less DNR.

You never know, your Gladiator disc might be the new and improved version?

thank you, this is the kind of constructive advice i was looking for. :)

Apologies for coming across as an a$$hole in my previous post :)

If you ever feel like browsing the collection to see what kind of movies they put out, this link below would be helpful to you as they present the various movies according to themes:

http://www.criterion.com/explore/themes

...although some of the Criterion titles also have lots of sex...

E.g. Salo, or Ai No Corrida (In The Realm Of The Senses)

Critierion class movies are movies that even you watched with subtitles and 2 hours you would still asked WTF is the story about.  ;D

E.g. Ai No Corrida (In The Realm Of The Senses)

Just kidding there are lots of mainstream movies getting Criterion treatment, like Silence of the Lambs, Hard Boiled, The Killer, etc

Brazil too.  And as noted earlier, The Rock and Armageddon, although the latter is non-anamorphic DVD only.  The Killer has been long out of print and commands a huge premium on eBay.