New Panasonic 8 Series Plasmas - Cheaper?!?!

Check the official specs

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electro...000000000005702

Pricing starting to come up on various US websites. End of Feb/start of March for some models. Tho of course expect around mid year for Aus which I think is when Europe is scheduled.

edit: having a quick look at 42" pricing on pana's website, it apperas at first glance that the PZ8 series is listed as cheaper than the PZ7 series :blink:

Edited by Doast

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you compare the price of the 2008 model TH-50PX80U ($1,699.95) to the 2007 model TH-50PX75U ($1,999.95), you will see that it's $300 cheaper.

In Australia, the TH-50PX70A has a RRP of $2,799. However, you should be able to get it for under $2,000 with a bit of haggling. Can we expect the 2008 model (TH-50PX80A) to retail at $300 less, say $1,700 street price?

Edited by insomnia

More likely to start at a street price of $300 less than current panasonic list price ($2800) - so around $2500 with a bit of room for negotiation below that. Come this time next year, $1700 wouldn't be unimaginable - as the 2009 releases bring on a whole new set of technology again and they would again want to clear stock. The train never stops :blush:

Interestingly, if we end up with the same screen coating as the US, it looks very different from the current antiglare - much more shiny in this video from CES:

http://uk.cinenow.com/videos/1362-panasoni...ra-plasma-range

More likely to start at a street price of $300 less than current panasonic list price ($2800) - so around $2500 with a bit of room for negotiation below that. Come this time next year, $1700 wouldn't be unimaginable - as the 2009 releases bring on a whole new set of technology again and they would again want to clear stock. The train never stops :blush:

Given the US list price of $1699 for the 50px80 and taking into account the strength of the Aussie dollar, I reckon the 80a will list at around $2000-$2200. Street price will probably be under $2K.

When do you believe the range of new Panasonic Plasma's are due? I really like the Pioneers LX series, but I find them just too expensive to Justify, and I really would like 58"+, so if the new Pana's are of similar quality, I would of course be interested.

Thanks all

The high end pz7's only came out Sept/Oct last year? Personally I'd expect them in Aus a month or two before the olympics (as Panasonic HD are a major sponsor) - so up to 5 months away which is alot of tv/movie watching time.

Some guy over on the AVS forums thought European pricing/release dates should be announced by the end of the weekend. This would be closer to what Aus might see.

Have emailed Panasonic Aus, but whether I get a useful response is another matter.

Also - sounds like the prices on the US Websites have a $300-$400 margin built in. Taking the example of the px50, the panasonic employee purchase program apparently has it listed at US$1,313.

For reference, here's the reply I got from Panasonic

"Thank you for taking the time to contact Panasonic with your enquiry.

Panasonic Australia does not have details on a Plasma with a PZ8 in the model number.

We trust this information will be of assistance. However, if you do require further support Panasonic have a very informative product web site located at www.panasonic.com.au . Many of our customers have found that most of their questions can be answered here with our excellent Frequently Asked Questions section - for this, please see the following link: http://www.panasonic.com.au/support/faqs/ . .

Kind Regards,

Panasonic Customer Care

www.panasonic.com.au"

I guess they couldn't extrapolate from PZ8 to to PZ80, PZ85 or PZ800. At least a reply did come.

Suspect they won't release the PZ80's in Aus though as per the PZ70 range - though I don't know why :angry2:

Biggest pity is that they release the PZ80's in the US at the same time as the PX80's - giving you a choice of a 1080p panel straightaway. That's living in Aus for you I guess - who said the world was getting smaller.

Sadly - according to what's listed in the link below, Panasonic Aus are going to shaft us again and not bring out the TH-xxPZ80 or TH-xxPZ85 series as they do in the USA. These sets would have been just under and just over $2500 recommended retail in Australia and available at the same time as the PX series (probably late March/early April).

Rather they are only going to bring out the far more expensive TH-xxPZ800 and 850 series in the 1080 panels (probably 2nd half 2008). In the year of 1080p advertising, they're really going to consign plasma's to the dusty store shelves as they're just not going to be price competetive with the 1080p lcd's who are starting to get their act together.

Guess I'll just go with the Bravia <_<

http://www.dvb.org/products_registration/d...dex.xml?csID=32

The salient part is as follows and lists those sets which (in my undertanding) have applied and got compliance for DVB-T tuner suitable for Australia.

Matsushita Electric Industrial Co Ltd...

TH-42PX80A

PDP-IDTV

TH-42PX8A

PDP-IDTV

TH-42PZ800A

PDP-IDTV

TH-46PZ800A

PDP-IDTV

TH-50PX80A

PDP-IDTV

TH-50PZ800A

PDP-IDTV

TH-50PZ850A

PDP-IDTV

TH-58PZ850A

PDP-IDTV

TH-65PZ850A

PDP-IDTV

TX-32LXD80A

LCD-IDTV

TX-32LZD800A

LCD-IDTV

TX-37LXD80A

LCD-IDTV

TX-37LZD800A

LCD-IDTV

TX-37LZD850A

LCD-IDTV

Edited by Doast

Sadly - according to what's listed in the link below, Panasonic Aus are going to shaft us again and not bring out the TH-xxPZ80 or TH-xxPZ85 series as they do in the USA. These sets would have been just under and just over $2500 recommended retail in Australia and available at the same time as the PX series (probably late March/early April).

Rather they are only going to bring out the far more expensive TH-xxPZ800 and 850 series in the 1080 panels (probably 2nd half 2008). In the year of 1080p advertising, they're really going to consign plasma's to the dusty store shelves as they're just not going to be price competetive with the 1080p lcd's who are starting to get their act together.

That sucks :angry2: The 50PZ85 was looking like the perfect model for me.

For completeness, here's Panasonic Aus' response about the pX8 series - took a while (as an aside Sony Aus respond much faster to queries ;) ).

Panasonic Australia does not currently have plans to release a Plasma with a Model number TH-42PX80A."

For completeness, here's Panasonic Aus' response about the pX8 series - took a while (as an aside Sony Aus respond much faster to queries ;) ).

Panasonic Australia does not currently have plans to release a Plasma with a Model number TH-42PX80A."

If they don't intend on releasing a 42" PX80A model, I sure hope they release a 50" version!

Edit: Looking at the list of sets posted by Doast above, it looks as if they will be releasing the TH-42PX8A and not the TH-42PX80A. I wonder what the differences are between the two models. Probably the number of HDMI ports and a cheaper looking exterior for the 8A.

Edited by insomnia

Doesn't look like this has been posted yet, if it has my apologies

PZ8 series and PX8 series plasmas are now available on the US panasonic website for pre-order

2x42"PZ and only 1x42"PX

Don't like the curvy strip on the bottom bezel and the desktop stand looks dated IMO

I agree, it doesnt quite look as appealing as the current PZ range, but hey ....

native 24p, 30k contrast ratio... ill take one. : P

"Suspect they won't release the PZ80's in Aus though as per the PZ70 range - though I don't know why "

I cant see how they wont release the PZ range here in Australia. Judging on how successful the current PZ range has been.

Edited by ledge

I cant see how they wont release the PZ range here in Australia. Judging on how successful the current PZ range has been.

They'll definately release the PZ800, but not necessarily the PZ80 or PZ85 (cheapest 1080p panels - possibly missing some stuff like true 24p).

However, apparently the UK did actually get PZ70 tv's - which indicates that the DVB-T list may not be complete - hence a chance that the PZ80 or PZ85 might appear mid year-ish.

As posted elsewhere - someone over on AVForum's indicated that UK are supposed to announce the PX80 line on 1st March - though given it's a Saturday, I'm dubious.

Eitherway, too much uncertainty for me to wait another few months for a panny 1080p panel with decent blacks - so will take the risk with the bravia fan hum/buzz :unsure:

• 1 month later...
Guest AussieHusky

Been a month, Anyone got any news on this? I would love to get a cheap 50" Panasonic Next gen Plasma, But my projectors bulb is on a limited time frame.

Been a month, Anyone got any news on this? I would love to get a cheap 50" Panasonic Next gen Plasma, But my projectors bulb is on a limited time frame.

No Pana Australia is being very tight lipped on the new models. My tip is around June before we will get them here.

• 2 weeks later...

May 1st to May to May 16th at the latest.

Expect RRP and models to be:

TH42PX80 $1699

TH50PX80 $2499

TH42PZ800 $2499

TH46PZ800 $2999

TH50PZ800 $3499

TH58PZ800 $5999

TH65PZ800 $10999

They are being tight lipped, but expect genuine RRP and models ranged in Oz to be close to above.

Oh, and Melbourne Demons will finish the wooden spoon.