Vinyl Box Sets

Jake

2 really nice jazz box sets. Gershwin 5LP Speakers corner/verve box set from a few years back and equally good Sinatra capital years box set. hard to believe recordings are over 50 years old considering the great SQ.

R-2190140-1268861667.jpeg4149W0ZHA2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by turntable

• 2 weeks later...

Collectors' Edition Box Set

Small Craft On A Milk Sea' by Brian Eno.

Open all the full colour, casebound (like a hardback book) 12" gatefold packs to find that one houses two CDs - one of the album, the other has four additional tracks. The second gatefold package contains the album pressed on two 180g vinyl discs. The third pack contains a 12" square litho print on 352gsm Mohawk Superfine stock, wrapped carefully in protective tissue...

brian_eno_5_0.jpg

brian_eno_6_0.jpg

brian_eno_7_0.jpg

The work is a print application of the generative art that Brian has been developing throughout his career. Each print in the edition is created from an individual arrangement and combination of screenprinted layers. The images, alignment and colours were changed systematically through the printing process to ensure each print is completely unique.

print_sample_0001_0.jpg

print_sample_0136_0.jpg

Edited by Stump
extra
  • Like 1

Hey Jake

I got the pic from a web site.I do have Collectors' Edition Box Set on its way next week.All the 250 copies with the screen print were picked up preorder.

They were pretty expensive too I recall...

They were pretty expensive too I recall...

$450 US delivered ($487AU once paypal too there cut) One of those late night purchase.Given the limited release I think its a good investment.Plus I like some of Eno,s work and its nice to have a original piece of his art work.

Anyone got the Genesis box set?

41yGijmpXaL._SS500_.jpg

I never realised Trespass had been repressed. I bought the other Genesis 180gm reissues as they came out some years ago by Classic but none are any better than my bog standard UK releases.

Jazz messenger blog commented that the CD is very average, but the vinyl sounds better than ever

http://blog.stereophile.com/fredkaplan/ibitches_brewi_mixed_right/

cant wait to hear some impressions, hopefully will jump on this one myself

That review was interesting Heman.Ive just been giving the Vinyl and CD the AB treatment.I wouldn't knock the CD quality as I think it sounds OK.I can see anyone who is into Vinyl would knock it and say they prefer the warmth of the analogue sound.The vinyl does have the natural warm sound but I wouldn't say the sound stage is much better then the CD.given my CD player cost twice as much as the Turn Table that my be different on someone else system.As for the music its a nice bit of funky Jazz to add to my new listen experience..

Eamonn

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass (Reissue)

51ArdE-8T7L._SS500_.jpg

I was trying to buy a good original copy of this a while ago. With the news of this rerelease I'm quite pleased now that I was unsuccessful.

Only about $56, not bad for 3LPs.

all-things-must-pass-package-460-100-460-70.jpg

Edited by Jake

Here's another one in my wishlist.

Miles Davis Quintet - Great Prestige Recordings

AAPJ_035-45__52434__01152009123641-873.jpg

$300 for 5 albums on 10 x 45 LPs isn't particularly cheap but I bet they sound great. They only made 750 so I guess that puts the cost up a bit. Maybe if it comes down I would think about it.

Dont tempt me Jake!With Steve Hoffman named with this set you can bet it sounds good.Although its been out for over a year I just seen a set on ebay for $458US plus $86 postage. $400US at Exclusive disc.

P.S You may get a near mint copy at Steve Hoffman F/S site

Here's another one in my wishlist.

Miles Davis Quintet - Great Prestige Recordings

AAPJ_035-45__52434__01152009123641-873.jpg

$300 for 5 albums on 10 x 45 LPs isn't particularly cheap but I bet they sound great. They only made 750 so I guess that puts the cost up a bit. Maybe if it comes down I would think about it.

They do indeed sound great, and I picked mine up about a year back when they were selling for $300 US. I was amazed a couple of months back to see that they still had new copies for sale, I really thought that having only made 750 that they would quickly sell.

Chris

Edited by soundfan

They do indeed sound great, and I picked mine up about a year back when they were selling for $300 US. I was amazed a couple of months back to see that they still had new copies for sale, I really thought that having only made 750 that they would quickly sell.

Chris

Thanks Chris

I have one on the way.Have heard some great reviews of this set.Look forward to a 45 LP...

Eamonn

• 3 weeks later...
The albums were avaliable sinlgly on 45 prior to the boxed set. maybe that's why the slow up take. I'd like one too. so let's not talk them up!!

Sorry for taking this up BUT!! Arrived yesterday and gave a good spin last night.Cleanest record sound I have ever heard.Makes my system sound a million dollars.I am now a Jazz fan and this set is going to get a good workout.

Jake get this on your Christmas list!!

MilesDavisQuintet-GreatPrestigeRecordings.jpg

Sorry for taking this up BUT!! Arrived yesterday and gave a good spin last night.Cleanest record sound I have ever heard.Makes my system sound a million dollars.I am now a Jazz fan and this set is going to get a good workout.

Stop it Stump!

funny-pictures-beaver-cant-hear-you.jpg

I knew you'd like it. :D Outstanding sq with a quality booklet, and I played Cookin' and Workin' last night.

Chris